Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit from a full grown olive will not be a "little" bite ...

Exactly why I adressed this in a previous post.

But OP, I would suggest you start with something smaller to get the feel of it... but if you have your heart set on an olive then it's best to just go with that. As I said, start with a juvie and learn how it behaves, what 'makes it tick', how to respect the animal and keep out of it's way if need be. THEN it will be 'just a little bite' and you'll grow more confident with any hope.

Your knowledge can grow with the animal, it is MUCH better to recieve a 'love-bite' from a juvie than rushing in to a full-grown olive python (which I would like to think you would not do as a first time owner).

But, if you really are that passionate about the animal it doesn't matter, being careful should not 'make you consider keeping an animal that can inflict such a bite', but if you're really THAT worried and paranoid that you think it will interfear with the wellbeing of your animals... THEN you should re-consider. ;)

Prevention is the best policy. Work on not getting bitten rather than accepting that you will.

My olives are gentle giants.

Besides which as someone earlier mentioned a scrubby bite is far worse.

Olives have a mad feeding response and thats when you dont want to get nailed by them. Other than that their bites are generally warnings and are over before you even realise you have been bitten, they bleed a lot though haha.

there is nothing wrong with the advice you have given as a matter of fact if i believe if a young olive bites in defense you can class that as a little bite in comparison to a misguided feeding response bite where you have a snake hanging on and constricting your arm that has to be gently prized off, but then again i dont own an olive only carpets so sorry for posting.
Well sorry, I don't make posts just for the sake of it, so what if I have a lot of them? I'm on the forum several times daily and I think that warrants making quite a few posts. I'd never give advice if I had no clue, I'd like to think I've given perfectly fine advice in suggesting OP should start off with a juvie and that a juvie tag will not be painful.

I'd like to think that if there were any problem the moderators would speak to me, as I notice neither of you hold such a status you should refrain from moderating and get back to the topic and offer advice and opinions just as I did.

And I'm quite aware I'm only 'just now' getting my first python, but I have been dealing with animals, and reptiles, for years now and with the amount of research I've done into the topic I'd like to think I have a say. ;)

Edit: Ladies, save your lectures for my inbox... it's always open.

Big thank you for the welcome. I really appreciate everyone who has posted advice regarding these beautiful snakes. You all have really helped me gain an understanding of what an olive can do, and also in my first choice of snake. I'll be sticking with smaller children's pythons first, and definitely will go for a juvenile olive when I feel I'm more confident to handle one. Yes, I do admire these snakes for their beauty, but I don't think I'm ready for one just yet.

I guess I'm really afraid of a herp's bite after getting bitten in the arm by my friend's Gould's Monitor while trying to cuddle it. Needless to say, it hurt like hell and needed stitches. Glad an Olive's bite doesn't seem so bad, or at least I hope so.

Big thank you for the welcome. I really appreciate everyone who has posted advice regarding these beautiful snakes. You all have really helped me gain an understanding of what an olive can do, and also in my first choice of snake. I'll be sticking with smaller children's pythons first, and definitely will go for a juvenile olive when I feel I'm more confident to handle one. Yes, I do admire these snakes for their beauty, but I don't think I'm ready for one just yet.

I guess I'm really afraid of a herp's bite after getting bitten in the arm by my friend's Gould's Monitor while trying to cuddle it. Needless to say, it hurt like hell and needed stitches. Glad an Olive's bite doesn't seem so bad, or at least I hope so.

The first sensible post :)

Good luck with the childrens - also spotteds aren't too bad if you like them.

My first bite was from a spotted... and my second... my third from a coastal carpet... 4th, 5th, 6th from spotteds....

And so on...

It wasn't about bad handling... I thought if I didn't show I was phased eventually it would stop.... For 2 it has... for the other two... I just don't handle them :)

prehaps go with a children,spotted or stimpson i hear they are very docile
i plan on getting two of them and breeding them dont think its going to happen this year if no definatly next
but if got a jungle 8 months he had a bad day yesterday got tagged about 10 times and today didnt get bitten once.

In terms of biting damage we should always speak about potential damage, since there a lot of variations which have a direct impact on the end result. I´ve seen a photo of a VERY LARGE amethistine (think it was over 15´) with only left perforated a finger and much else, I´ve been tagged by a 300g lamprophis fuliginosus that hurt more than head tag by a 3kg snake, but so far nothing compared to a 500g M. viridis…. A vice really comes into mind.

It really depends on the type of bite, the power and motive behind the attack and the area attacked. A large olivaceus CAN and WILL make serious damage on a full fledged attack, unless you lucky enough to be a near miss …

The worst bite i ever received was from a large olive on my forearm back in 1997, and it was only a warning bite, which i
still have a slight scar to this day. It made me alot more careful, as i can tell you, i never ever want to find out, what
a "feed response bite" feels like from a large olive......no thanks

i watch the bloke at the local pet store get bitten buy a 4yo olive and wow did he bleed so yea id think twice b4 getten tagd by one off them

In terms of biting damage we should always speak about potential damage, since there a lot of variations which have a direct impact on the end result. I´ve seen a photo of a VERY LARGE amethistine (think it was over 15´) with only left perforated a finger and much else, I´ve been tagged by a 300g lamprophis fuliginosus that hurt more than head tag by a 3kg snake, but so far nothing compared to a 500g M. viridis…. A vice really comes into mind.

It really depends on the type of bite, the power and motive behind the attack and the area attacked. A large olivaceus CAN and WILL make serious damage on a full fledged attack, unless you lucky enough to be a near miss …

best advice i've herd today i've been chewed on 3 times in a force feeding of a 3.5 ft sand monitor and laughed at it and ahve also been bitten by a 30 cm beardie that opend me right up (needed stiches) there is varying deg of bites.

but if you love the look of olives and arnt sure about them try a patternless childrens it will look like a olive and only get to about 90 cms this is prob ya best idea

why ponder on about a OLIVE BITE ...If you really want to get a taste of what it could feel like ...meet someone that has water pythons ..almost got 100% chance that you will be BIT ;)

why ponder on about a OLIVE BITE ...If you really want to get a taste of what it could feel like ...meet someone that has water pythons ..almost got 100% chance that you will be BIT ;)

so very true ha ha ha

or scrubs, my two are complete barstools
haha yeah well scrubs have that reputation ....but the ole' water python flys under the radar alot :) .... I have two ,and almost 100% everytime the enclosure is open, so are their mouths and in attack, aim ,fire at the woman looking at them mode ;) still gorgeous snakes ...as are olives ...

........ I'll be sticking with smaller children's pythons first, .......

You can get patternless childrens pythons which are so like the olive in colour, many actually nickname the little ones "mini olives"

Cuddling goannas isn't really recommended as you learnt for yourself.

Ya see, yesterday I cleaned out my waters ..and without fail I got BITTEN again right on the side of my hand ....100% chance of being bitten ,,,lmao ;)....and you worry about an OLIVE ....:)

Ya see, yesterday I cleaned out my waters ..and without fail I got BITTEN again right on the side of my hand ....100% chance of being bitten ,,,lmao ;)....and you worry about an OLIVE ....:)
sounds like i need a water python , cause i havnt been tagged by any of my snakes for a while .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back