Opinions on dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been around staffies as well, and they seem like a friendly breed :)

Thats what im really after.. a dog thats big, has a deep bark, seems 'viscious' and people are scared of them and wouldnt enter the yard, yet if they did, the dog would be unlikely to bark. needless to say in certain circumstances im sure any dog would bite.. but you hopefully get what i mean

We've got a Husky but he's not real good with small animals like cats, he thinks they are dinner and likes to hunt them down.

thats the issues with huskies/malamutes :D gorgeous dogs though, i was seriously considering them at one stage and trying to work around the whole small animal thing lol

beautiful dog too :D

know you arent really into rotis (neither am i but GF loves em)
but the seem to fit your bill...
big and scary, but everyone i have meet is a giant pussy.

i have issues with shepards as i almost lost en eye to one as a child.
it was a family pet... and one day just attacked me.
according to my parents, who ere watching, i just walked past, and it snapped.
apparently a "reasonably" common thing for older shepards to do.

personally i am into sheep dogs (keplies etc) they are less "vicous looking" but proably more likely to bite than the saffies/rotis AMAZINGLY loyal tho... but very much to their "pack" only

Mhmm.. thing is im not that keen on staffies, bull type dogs, terriers, dobermans or rotties :( not sure why. Though, i'd be more likely to choose a doberman over a rotty or the other types of dogs i just mentioned. dont seem to be as keen on the breed most people consider as "guard dogs" lol

biggest issue im concerned with is the whole euthanasia thing if the dog did attack an intruder...
apparently if you have the correct signage up your fine. and the doberman is a true protection dog (they were developed by a tax collector) and if you find one with the right temperament and training they are a manstopping machine.like they will give the intruder or attacker a warning until you command them. and plus imagine the hilarity of coming home to find he has the guy bailed up and has made him soil himself and turned him into a quivering mess :lol:

Haha I've done a lot of research on dog breeds... can never do enough research though :)

Read about the extreme loyalty given by sheep dogs, which is one thing I love...

You rekon if you put signs up everywhere saying something like "warning, dangerous dog" I'd be ok, even if the dog bit someone?

My red cattle x bully x shepard was an ideal dog. Get one of them. Go on.

apparantly my neighbours roti does that naturally.

if someone visits them while they are out, it starts barking...
then if they start looking through windows (to see if they are home and just cant hear) it follows you around, walks right up to you and barks.
then growls at you with every step you take towards the house.
-my step mother found that out the hard way.

here is a pic of him
2157806778_7ccab06fee_o.jpg

Hehe nice picture :D you guys are making me lean towards dobes/rotties now as well...

anyone else have any experience with any of teh shepherd breeds, esp the german sheps?

Haha I've done a lot of research on dog breeds... can never do enough research though :)

Read about the extreme loyalty given by sheep dogs, which is one thing I love...

You rekon if you put signs up everywhere saying something like "warning, dangerous dog" I'd be ok, even if the dog bit someone?
no not them signs lol they basically say i admit i have a dangerous dog. no trespassing signs are what you want. read through this thread it contains some good advice http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...my-dogs-nailed-a-burglar-in-my-backyard-69505

Thank you :)

If you want a proper, trained guard dog - you could buy a dog and send it here for training:

www.guarddogtraining.com.au

They also sell fully trained adult dogs.

I had seen that site the other day and pretty much decided that when I do get a dog, I will most likely send it to that place/a similar one to get trained properly. fee's arnt too bad, i was surprised!

my shep experience is above... and forever on my eyelid..... 3 stitches yeah baby!

get a cattle dog of some kind..cattle dog crossed with something is ever better..mongrels dont get as much health problems as other dogs!
they are beautiful dogs and very loyal and make excellent guard dogs cos they bark when some one walks past and if they are trained right and brought up in the right environment they wouldnt anyone!
i have a kelpie X ..pretty much like a cattle dog..she looks like a dingo..shes the most loyal thing ever and when un known people walk past our fence she goes mental lol but if anyone enters she just barks and jumps all over them!

i'd say get an american staffy..
i'vr got a 13 year old bitch,
they are the most loving devoted dogs, happy to do nothing, or do everything you do..
very inteligent, and great guard dogs...

Xshadowx, My dad used to be a dog handler for police, both his german shepards died at relatively early ages of problems associated with the breed, my parter is a vet nurse, she wouldnt let us get a a shepard as she says they are a breed that gets every problem under the sun. We ended up buying a Greyhound, they are not the best guard dog, but the sheer size of them, their very big dog bark, and the fact that they have to be muzzled in public, makes most people cautious around them. They are great companions and best of all they are one of the healthiest breeds around.

This will probably come out sounding the wrong way.. but if a dog seems prone to getting more medical issues than another breed, provided some of the issues arnt too severe and life threatening, it wouldnt be too bad... after all, the reason im at university is to study veterinary science :D

thanks for the comments/opinions, more are welcome, as are pictures of your dogs!

oh.. names laura by the way, incase you'd prefer that to "shadow" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back