Opinions on dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
prince

sorry for piping up again but I couldn't resist putting this one he was only 3 weeks old

Attachments

• prince.jpg
    prince.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 39
You wont get a more loyal dog than a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Meets all your criteria and then some. Not for you if you dont like exercise though.;)

Oh, thats partly why i want a dog, take it to the beach etc :D get away from darn studying. just dont want a super energetic dog!

very cute pup there too, duke :D

rhodesian ridgeback maybe? or even a ridgeback x rotti.. they are gorgeous, thick as 2 short planks, will put a cat in their mouth but only to carry it around by the head and carefully put it down where it prefers the cat to be, and they are bloody good with kids :)

Are all ridgebacks generally good with small animals and kids?

its all down to the upbringing to be honest... but the only thing i know of that ridgebacks will hurt is lions.. they were originally bred for it

awesome... Think I shall have to look into that breed, sounds like it could be suitable. will also look a bit more into the dobermans and rotties as well

I would also say ridgies are good with kids my other dog is a ridgeback x mastiff and she is great with kids, wasn't much of a guard dog until after she had a litter though. She did kill a couple of ducks I used to have but she was only trying to play with them.

im not familiar with dobermans, but i am pretty familiar with rottis and provided that they have a good up bringing they are one of the most loyal dogs you will ever get :)

one of the best ways to find out about dog breeds is to go somewhere like the RSPCA and just have a walk through their kennels.. speak to the volunteers who work there, they will have met more dogs than anyone you will ever speak to, and they are generally more than happy to speak to anyone who will benefit from the things they have learnt in their work :)

the ridge x rotti my mate has puts up with EVERYTHING from her cats and from her nephew.. her nephew jumps all over him and used to climb on him as well... wouldnt hurt a fly. I also think you are going the right way about it by going for larger breeds as well by the way, in my experience large dogs are MUCH friendlier than small ones, and tend to be alot easier going as well. Small dogs are always trying to prove themselves, where as big dogs are generally just looking at you with a real "duuuuuuuuh what ya doin" expression on their faces

This is my Kanicky.... He's only 7 months old. So a bit big for what your after... but thought I'd share this pic anyways... :)

He is the biggest sook... but no one has been game to enter house yard with out us there!!

Attachments

• kanicky.jpg
    kanicky.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 38
Are all ridgebacks generally good with small animals and kids?
yeah my dad had a ridgeback X dane X mastiff who was about 13 when i was little and he just used used to sit next to my pram.and he was fine with a miniature fox terrier pup i had as well. but not with wombats though. and also pick up a rifle he was ready to go. he was a pretty popular stud dog for his hunting abilities,looks,and nature. basically they are a great dog:)

Get something from an animal shelter whatever you do.. Put a small dent in that 20 000 dogs a year that are euthanised. Make it a little harder for us to get cadavers, right?

Also, see if you can get a border collie or kelpie. Or cross between the two..

Make it from a shelter though.

EDIT: read you don't want a collie, but the crosses are great! Loyal as all hell too. And smart.

Get a Kelpie cross!

Awesome personalities!

Also, I agree with PhillK Go to a shelter... you will probably fall in love with them all though!

I reckon a Labrador is the way to go but I'm biased, beautiful temperament but will certainly let you know if undesireables are around.
I would like a proper English Staffy to go with him though, just as back up :)
DSC_0006-1.jpg

I have wolf hound cross danes, they are loyal and look and sound scary but are sooks the neices ride em like horses.That is a nice dane dintony

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE border collies, by far one of my favourite breeds, but I think they'd be too active with me.. trying to fit in keeping a collie amused whilst still studying... Actually.. I ride a bike regularly, about an hour every night.. would a collie be content to run alongside?

I love retrievers.. hence why originally i was gonna get a golden retriever :D labs are just as gorgeous IMO

Only problem I have with shelters is I want to rescue them all, but know I cant :(

I agree with the ridgeback, very loyal and protective. Dobermans are great but are very intelligent, without adequate training and enrichment they will get bored quickly.

As far as breed defects, purchase from a registered breeder who will be more likely to selective breed out defects.

Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of QLD
http://www.rrcq.org/?page=183

malamutes are great dogs but would not like to see one with a cat if bought up as a puppy with the cat is should be ok i have had a few mals and still have one now getting a second soon but they need alot of time in brushing walking ect

if some one broke into my yard and got attacket by my dog and i was ordered to put him down he would be on a holiday where no one would know where he was till it all cooled down. i think it stinks that some one can come on your property and if your dog bites them or they cut their arm its your fault. its wrong

Malamutes and huskies are excellent dogs. Very loyal. They are pack dogs but very loyal to the "leader" of the pack. I have heard they need alot of work (more than most dogs) a desent sized yard for running around in, should be walked every day, also brushing very frequently (practically daily) and may not cope well with the weather up there (i have heard brizzy is really too hot for them) as they are actually cold weather dogs, and can have hip problems and troubles with arthritis. But each breed will have it's potential health problem

Dalmations, german shepards, great danes are beautiful dogs.. I once knew a dalmation that smiled all the time very awsome....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back