Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely agree with Rep-Style, there is absolutely no reason that prices should be fixed. If prices were to be fixed, only the wealthy would be able to afford the "desired" breeds and thats not right. I acknowledge that some snakes will always cost more than others, thats a given, but purposefully keeping those prices at fixed level so that the majority of of reptile owners cant afford afford them and assuming that only the ones who can are considered worthy of owning them is just despicable. By lowering the prices as the demand and numbers of the snakes increase, the entirety of the hobby as its known will increase and surely thats really what we all want? This isn't taking a shot at anyone, its just my opinion

I wonder how very low prices or no prices at all (as Dragon mentioned) would effect establishments such as SxR, URS, SR and others. I think the answer is clear. Wouldn't the herp community be that much poorer if it happened? I also wonder if pythons were available for 10 bucks, would the new owners then go and spend $500.- on enclosure, heating, lighting, etc.? There are certainly some pros and cons when the "business" side of the hobby is taken out of the equation.

I'm sure it would be bad for those businesses. I don't necessarily think that's the best option, but it seems like it'd have benefits on a wider scale. I happen to think taking prices off the heads of GTPs, or anything for that matter, is going to make it less likely that they'll be poached. If we're weighing up the pros and cons, conservation is more important to me than some people having to look for new jobs. I realise that sounds harsh, but that's life I'm afraid. Again, I'm not saying it's definitely the best option, just the one that has most appeal to me.

As for the likelihood of people spending that much on set ups when snakes are so cheap, true enough you're going to get people wondering about the value. But then again, I've seen some very expensive animals kept in conditions so far below standard as to be cruel. If the number of first time buyers indicating their plans to become breeding legends is anything to go by, I have to wonder if the number of buyers will drop as well, that'll take care of some of your penny pinchers. And let's be honest here, if someone is willing to spend $5,000 on an animal and an enclosure set up in the manner you describe, they're going to be willing to spend $500 on the same, aren't they? If they don't think that it's worth it, they're just as likely to not buy the animal as to keep it incorrectly. When you think about the prices of some cats and dogs, a free snake and a $500 enclosure is a cheaper option................

if you look at dogs, you can pick up unwanted mongrels or simple cross breeds at the RSPCA for a nominal fee (essentially vet and handling...) or you can spend a fortune on a really "good" line of purebred ("good" as people have mixed opinions of purebreds). people still spend the money on purebred dogs. the people who spend the money on the purebreds, and the people who spend the money on RSPCA mongrels, both have to spend the money vet bills, inoculations, collars, tags, food, toys etc etc.

the amount of money spent on the dog clearly depends on the owner, and the amount of the owner's excess cash spend on the dog would depend on how the owner feels about the dog. would an owner who loved their mongrel dog spend $200 (on a $60 dog) for an amazing bed/kennel/dog door etc? sure, if it's needed and they love it.

i've spent multiple times what my older coastal is worth on enclosure fittings and peripherals.

companies like SxR, URS and SR probably make a better profit off sellign their heating products then their actual snakes. and for the GTPs which people always use as a benchmark, their perceived difficulty to keep/breed and delicate nature will always mean they cost more to purchase then a hermit crab.

if you look at exotic fish, their prices go up and down WAY more then snakes. they are like companies on a stock market. i would suggest snake prices will go up and down depending on the market. if breeding jungles, for instance, goes out of vogue at some point, and there is a market gap, i would suggest they would be worth more. supply and demand.

Price's will be worth what people percieve the animal they buy to be worth. I have spent more than some people on some animals to a point where penny pinchers think I am mad, but my these snakes come from a reputable breeder who is local to me, (so I save on frieght) I have never had a health problem, I never had issues with feeding, I have seen the set up they come from and I know good advice is only a phone call away. How much is that extra service worth, some people breed a few pythons sell them on for $80 or so with out knowing how much it cost to get them to the point of sale, vet checks, heating and feeding costs all add up, then when they get your money it is the end of the transaction, no back up service etc.
People will still pay for "good" animals, once you have built up a good reputation. Prices will drop on more "commercial" animals but there will be premium from breeders with the reputation for premium animals who look after their animals.

The fact remains, if reptiles are worth very little or nothing, they become worthless commodities are the likelyhood is - they be terated accordingly. Not by everyone, but by many. There is an ugly side to it, and I use GTPs as an example; at the moment, they're still out of the price range for many wanting to have them. If they become affordable to everyone, the mortality will increase as many first-time keepers will loose them due to inexperience with the species. No one likes to admit to their failures, it's easier to blame the breeder for selling them poorly established animal. You may be surprised how often I hear from people "I bought GTP from such and such and it died within 3 weeks, must have been a weak or sick before I bough it". Not many have the guts to approach the breeder with their complain (they know why) but the word gets around. That's my little sentiment.

I wonder how very low prices or no prices at all (as Dragon mentioned) would effect establishments such as SxR, URS, SR and others. I think the answer is clear. Wouldn't the herp community be that much poorer if it happened? I also wonder if pythons were available for 10 bucks, would the new owners then go and spend $500.- on enclosure, heating, lighting, etc.? There are certainly some pros and cons when the "business" side of the hobby is taken out of the equation.

places like URS for example are making a killing on microclimate gear. I can get microclimate stuff for less than half the price they are selling for and they are the australian distributors for microclimate. this is just one example. Not trying to start a war but just stating facts

personally i sit on both sides of the fence, i dont like seeing $500 snakes selling for $200 but at the same time i dont like holding on to 50 $500 snakes out of greed, sell em what theyre worth if there is excess at the end of the season, trades are fun. if prices keep dropping there will be no reason to breed, everyone says its for the love of the animals,which yes is why we do it, but its money that makes the world spin and you cant buy enclosures rats and electricity with love. we breed, we make money, we buy more animals that we love....... in america you can buy a burmese python for as little as $50 it would not be worth the time, space or money spent........

You put a minimum price on an animal and breeders are gunna have a lot of stock sitting around that they just can't sell because there is no demand for that animal yet the price is still ridiculously high. I am willing to pay for an animal whatever I think it's worth, and as far as selling/moving on off offspring is concerned - friends get what they want first either for swaps or next to nothing. This hobby shouldn't be about money but unfortunatly it is to so many. But in saying that it's still very nice to be able to cover your costs out of a hobby that you 'love'.

For me at least, the price of the reptile isn't proportionate to how it is cared for. Case in point, my eastern beardie cost me $30 when I bought him from a private breeder nine years ago. In that time I have spent around $900 on vet bills, and who knows how much on making sure he is always healthy and comfortable! I know that not everyone will do this, but I know that in ths hobby there are a lot of people who would!

Prices

Trying to maintain artificially high prices is what led to the importation of GTPs etc etc that effectively destroyed their over priced value in Australia
Three years ago any GPT was $10,000
Now you can buy beautiful hatchlings from smuggled parents for less than $2,000each
This has now enabled people to buy them simply because they want to own one rather than as an investment
In Bali I use GTPs as part of my handling displays simply because they are so easy to play with and are so cheap there and it lets Aussies play with what they think is an exclusive reptile
But in Australia there is no way known I let members of the public play with the GTPs I keep here

Breeders who breed truly exquisite animals of any type will always command high prices
Breeders just pumping out puppies/hatchlings/chicks of any quality will not command high prices

Some people are complaining that GTP prices for example are too low
But in Europe and the USA magnificent Blues Reds etc still get good money
So if our breeders get with the programme and turn out great snakes they will get great money

It's kind of odd that some people are turning up their noses when small, private breeders are making money from their efforts but they happily buy from SXR, URS, SR, etc.. It is alright for them to make money but not for the small breeders? Aren't they part of this HOBBY? Strange attitude indeed.
The good thing is - nothing will change. ;)

I have no problem with people making money out of this hobby...good on them I say! It just shouldn't be ALL about money.

I see it this way.If they get to a price were they become disposable pets a lot of breeders will scale right back or not breed at all or just swap with mates.As an example if pythons sell for say $50 and it gets sick I would say quite a few people wouldn't bother taking it to a vet as it would end up costing more than the animal is worth.They would either let it die or kill it and go out and buy another one to replace it.

Their are people, and their are people, and their are pets, and their are snakes! Once I buy a snake, they are not going to be re sold, they have reached family status...:shock::D

Whatever someone will pay might be true .but is it not the breeders that set the price .
if one sells children's for $250 and another sells for $150 . I think a new person to the hobby will buy the cheaper one . based on knowing nothing about quality or reputation of the breeder .
This is just a thought not pointing fingers . cheers:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back