Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So really what your trying to say is that its ok for people to continue to trade even if they have a suspected problem... Which is what has happened here and caused Luke his problem.

Now say for instance i didnt name names, many people may blindly still trade with certain people...

As what has been said, in a perfect world.... People would be honest and not have to be proded or threatened to come forward, if they had any TRUE love of the hobby, they would want to do whats best for it, not for their wallet...

Wow! That's drawing a bit of a long bow.

What i am saying is that people shouldn't be naming names publicly. I don't know how you could infer that i think people should continue to sell sick animals under the guise that they are healthy from what i wrote...

Very well said...

It's sad to think that people with issues in their collections
would still be most willing to sell.
And not bother to mention anything to the unsuspecting buyer.

It is sad when people know they have issues and continue to seel, deplorable in fact.

That being said, there's no reason for ML (not sure what his everyday username is), to label people as shonky breeders based on his understanding of a situation as opposed to his definite first hand knowledge.

No i didn't and i didn't feel i needed to because i was 100% confident in my quarantine standard.

Waruikazi... this is not a personal attack, I'm just going to express my opinion in relation to your comment... There is far too much heat flying around this thread, so i wanted to let you know before I comment...

Whether or not a breeder is confident in their quarantine standards, I think they should still inform buyers of any POTENTIAL risks (not saying it's certain, just potential). If you are truly confident in your standards, and you want to do the right thing by your buyer, you should inform them of the incident, the steps you took to control it, and let them make their own choice... not sell to them, and hope for the best.

JMO!

It is sad when people know they have issues and continue to seel, deplorable in fact.

That being said, there's no reason for ML (not sure what his everyday username is), to label people as shonky breeders based on his understanding of a situation as opposed to his definite first hand knowledge.

I am not referring specifically to him naming names Kersten.
But I do believe that if breeders/sellers are willing to continue trade
even if they know there are health issues within their collection...

They should be named, to some extent to prevent them from infecting
god knows how many other collections.

In this case haymista & arbok have decided to come forward with their findings.
I do wonder what would have happened
if none of this had been brought to light?

Considering this will ultimately affect the breeders/sellers with their future trading
would people be most willing to out themselves for the benefit of buyers?
Or would they keep things quite as not to risk trading/reputation?

I for one want to know that the persons I buy from are free from disease/virus etc..

Waruikazi... this is not a personal attack, I'm just going to express my opinion in relation to your comment... There is far too much heat flying around this thread, so i wanted to let you know before I comment...

Whether or not a breeder is confident in their quarantine standards, I think they should still inform buyers of any POTENTIAL risks (not saying it's certain, just potential). If you are truly confident in your standards, and you want to do the right thing by your buyer, you should inform them of the incident, the steps you took to control it, and let them make their own choice... not sell to them, and hope for the best.

JMO!

Matt i don't take offence to anything on the internet lol.

My point of that post was to show how quickly rumor can cause people to make a judgment that isn't justified. I made that comment about 3 pages ago and not a single person asked what the nature of the exposure was or the cause of the hatchies death. Yet people still felt the need to tell me what i 'should' have done. I didn't get burnt in fire and brimstone like i thought i would lol but i think my point stands.

I think everyone here needs to take a step back for a while and re-evaluate the situation instead of turning this into a massive **** fight ! there is NO one victim here, all parties concerned are victims in one way or another. Arbok, Haymista & Luke are all victims. what ever you would like to label this, personally i think it would be rather presumptous to give it an exact name when what we are most probably dealing with is a rather complex group of virusus which can be triggered by a number of reasons. eg: stress, heat, cold ect:
At the end of the day, it has been brought out into the open, & all parties should be comended (not condemed) and it's a shame the original source of infection wasn't as honest as these lads.
My condolences to all parties involved.
HK.

Yes, I realised you weren't referring to that Itbites, which is why I kept my comment about naming names seperate from my agreement with your point. If people are knowingly trading infected animals and it can be proved they are, then I tend o agree, they should be named. The proof is the tricky part though.In this case had they not come forward it wouldn't have mattered, as the issue had already been raised by PilbaraPythons on Luke's behalf and if what was posted is correct, with his prior knowledge.

Yes, I realised you weren't referring to that Itbites, which is why I kept my comment about naming names seperate from my agreement with your point. If people are knowingly trading infected animals and it can be proved they are, then I tend o agree, they should be named. The proof is the tricky part though.In this case had they not come forward it wouldn't have mattered, as the issue had already been raised by PilbaraPythons on Luke's behalf and if what was posted is correct, with his prior knowledge.

Yes however I really don't feel that the previous thread was created
to inform the public of any virus/illness etc..

More to discredit the buyers *jmo*

Last edited:
Out of interest do you mind if I ask what your quarantine procedure is?

I keep all new snakes in separate room to all the others. I haven't ever ended up putting them in the same room together (i can do this because my collection is small) but if i was to i wont do it before i've owned them for 6 months. I spray down with F10 and if i am interacting with quarantine animals i will shower before interacting with my other animals.

No one has yet asked what the exposure was from and how it came about...

I keep all new snakes in separate room to all the others. I haven't ever ended up putting them in the same room together (i can do this because my collection is small) but if i was to i wont do it before i've owned them for 6 months. I spray down with F10 and if i am interacting with quarantine animals i will shower before interacting with my other animals.

What was the exposure from and how did it come about?

You could have just said it instead of waiting to be asked ;)

what was the exposure from and how did it come about? :D

Last edited:
I was in a vet clinic and which had some snakes come in that were suspected of OPMV and i drove the euthed sample to get tested. I can't remember if it was confirmed or not.

Sorry to go off topic here, but i have received numerous PM's asking me of my affiliation with Pilbara Pythons and or True Blue breeding group. Rob & I are friends & we knocked around a bit together fishing ect: when he lived up here in N/Q, but I have ALWAYS maintained a private collection. i mean no disrespect to Dave or Rob by this, it's just i have had numerous people inquire if I am affiliated.
answer NO !

Ah but you do have animals from my collection Mark, and helped maintain some of my snakes for a while.(you posted a pick of one of the stimmes that you got off me here a few weeks back).
Im sure the animals that you have from me are still fine as are all the other animals that i have passed on to other people.
As said before this virus has not been passed on bettween any of us, if it had of been i would surely have had animals die, yet i have had no problems what so ever.
Myself and Dave have set Luke up with animals in the past, but have not got animals off him, as for the last 2 yrs ive been cutting back the size of my collection, not increasing it. So animals are NOT passed willy nilly bettween everyone or anyone.

As said earlier, we have a fair idea where it has come from, but only an idea not 100% certain.
Hell from what Danny has said it could even possibly of come from the wild.? Luke loves his herping and even thou he rarely touches anything, (except with the camera), he could of moved something off the road and inadvertantly taken a nastie back home with him. A scary thought but very possible.
So naming names unless 100% certain is just not an option.

Last edited:
Like i said Rob, i mean't no offence by that so what's with that comment ? what are you trying to insinuate ??? do you have a problem ? i received those Stimmies off you on the 23.02.07 same with the Childreni and i have not helped you with your collection since ! My collection is just that, my collection.... & no, there is nothing wrong with those animals ......... LOL

Hey heres a scary thought for everyone.

What happens if there is a stall setup at the reptile expo thats riddled with OPMV etc.?
Bom bom Booommm!

I bought a spotted today from a big breeder out this way, and i touched a few snakes in his collection, if i was some kind of sicko i could have introduced anything into his vast collection. Mind you i would never!

Theres no such thing as inpenetrable quarrantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back