Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kawasaki_Jack - I bought my first DSLR two years ago - a Canon 1000D. I love it, and it's definitely a great beginners' camera. Now, Nikon v Canon is a bit like NSW v Qld or Holden v Ford haha. both have their own qualities, and it just comes down to which one you feel more comfortable using. I'll always recommend Canons though, good price & good quality. Canon lenses are better, yet Nikon have better camera bodies. But in saying that, I've always found Canon easier to use.

wow DHoffmann, gorgeous shots!! What kit do you use??

Last edited:
wow DHoffmann, gorgeous shots!! What kit do you use??
Thanks. The kit shouldn't matter, it's about being in the right place at the right time. ;)

Started on Konica Minolta Dynax 7D with kit lenses.

The above were taken with:
Canon 40D
Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
I've also got:
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS

jordan how do i upload them from twitter? so it shows the photo not a link?
Hey kawasakie_jack these photo's were uploaded from flickr, I did this by copping and pasting the BBC code, I don't know how you do it from twitter I'm afraid, but you can upload files from your computer by when you reply to a thread you click on manage attatchments, and follow the promps, sorry.

thanks trouble :) saw one of those for sale, thinking about buying it,

these are a few of my photos and i know they are no where near even close to being as good as yours just thought id upload them,

these are also all taken with a little canon digitital camera not dslr.

Sunset off the Princess Dawn Cruise ship.

138 by JackNash1, on Flickr

Rotorua - New Zealand

218 by JackNash1, on Flickr

Rotorua - New Zealand

224 by JackNash1, on Flickr

New Zealand

244 by JackNash1, on Flickr

Fiordlands - New Zealand

321 by JackNash1, on Flickr

Fiordlands - New Zealand - Seals

328 by JackNash1, on Flickr

Fiordlands - New Zealand

3332 by JackNash1, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67120213@N05/6111405452/
333 by JackNash1, on Flickr

None of these are edited except the last, as you can tell :)

Last edited:
Recent trip to Switzerland and Venice (posted these before).

Attachments

• Zermatt - Switzerland.jpg
    Zermatt - Switzerland.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 154
  • Venice 4.jpg
    Venice 4.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 137
In Jordan's absence, I'll field this one if he doesn't mind.

Long exposure, is the short answer.

Long answer is that using the aperture (hole that lets light onto the sensor) as small as possible, you can extend the amount of time you keep the shutter open. This in turn captures the world over a longer period of time, which results in streaks of light with cars or foggy effect on water, for instance.
Because you don't freeze the world with a fast shutter speed, you instead 'overlay' each action in the frame. That means that when you shoot water the brightest parts are captured lightly over and over, creating a soft and in this case foggy effect.
I recommend you to try it out if you get the chance, it's great fun playing around with the effect it has on your images.

oh thanks you alot :) can you do this with most dslr cameras?

Everyone im pretty sure. You just need a manual setting. You can do it on a few pint and shoots to. But not as long as say my D90 which has a bulb to 30mins, but then you can just get a remote that can go as long as a 99 hour exposure. But m point and shoot only can open for about 2 seconds i think.

In Jordan's absence, I'll field this one if he doesn't mind.

Long exposure, is the short answer.

Long answer is that using the aperture (hole that lets light onto the sensor) as small as possible, you can extend the amount of time you keep the shutter open. This in turn captures the world over a longer period of time, which results in streaks of light with cars or foggy effect on water, for instance.
Because you don't freeze the world with a fast shutter speed, you instead 'overlay' each action in the frame. That means that when you shoot water the brightest parts are captured lightly over and over, creating a soft and in this case foggy effect.
I recommend you to try it out if you get the chance, it's great fun playing around with the effect it has on your images.
thats it! basicaly because the shutter is open for longer everything that moves is "blured" and everything that is still (the foreground which in my case is the rocks,) is sharp, as the other's have said you need low light so sunset is Ideal for this (the longer exposure lets more light into the camera and if I was to do this in dayligh the picture would be over exposed and would be white) you also need a low appeture to obtain a suitible exposure length and low ISO, I normaly aim to get a 25-60 second exposure.

Stunning photos guys!

I'd love love love to get back into photography, because its one of the main things I enjoy in life. But with my current ****ty camera, I simply don't even bother to go out and take shots now. I'd quite happily go back to my old camera if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back