Price of Albino Carpets / RSP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think animals coming down in price is a good thing it just means they will become like the next version of cats n dogs i don't think just ANY body should own reptiles because they take a lot more care and understanding + their native wildlife not a cool fad ...
Unfortunately, I think some people are already treating them like a cool fad. I work in a pet shop and the amount of outright tools out to buy a snake just to impress their mates is downright depressing. Luckily, we are allowed to refuse sale if we believe the person is likely to neglect the animal, but still...

Thats right cheap as chips :rolleyes:

All I have heard for the last couple of years is that prices will drop rapidly as "There is going to be thousands around this season".Well two years down the track all the experts still keep saying the same thing.Funny how the thousands being bred have mysteriuosly vanished into thin air.

Of course prices will come down but it will be a gradual thing.I think some people keep trying to talk them down as they cant afford them at current prices.Funny thing is there is no shortage of people willing to pay current prices so the market is already there.

spot on,i could not have said it better my self.it's the same with GTP's aswell

I don't think animals coming down in price is a good thing it just means they will become like the next version of cats n dogs i don't think just ANY body should own reptiles because they take a lot more care and understanding + their native wildlife not a cool fad ...

Totally agree itbites...well said!

blackghost

I see that the snake ranch has been mentioned again in this thread.Just wondering how many keepers managed to get themselves het animals from there.My belief is that they were never in a postion to dictate the market price as they only had a very limited number available in the first place.

We bred hets for the last 2 seasons and this season has seen no changes with regard to prices nor with the amount of interest being shown in them.

Again with the comments of "there will be heaps of them around this season".Well where the hell are they all?

Ramsayi,
I think you may have the wrong impression of peoples opinions in this thread. Mine atleast unless I have misworded my meanings or you are refering to past threads that people have wrote. I don't know. Anyway I am not insinuating that the Snake Ranch would dictate prices on Hets. I just used them as an example to indicate how their stock was sold cheaper than the original price of $3000ea that Simon was selling them for a few years ago. I understand you probly don't want to publically announce your asking price on Hets, but can you tell me if in the last 2 seasons that you have bred them were they still $3000ea or below this? The prices I have seen this season are $1200 - $2500 a pair so they have came down a bit. The other thing that may be misconstrued here regarding pricing is whether we are discussing the average market price or the lowest advertised price. EG: 5 breeders ask $2000ea and 2 ask $1000ea. You could say the prices have came down to $1000, however the average price is still $2000 which it was years ago and it all depends how you look at it I guess. Can I ask your opinion of why you think they will not budge in price over the next 3-4 years?

As for where are they all, I can't answer that one. Mainly because like yourself alot of keepers are secretive about the fact. But I am sure you already know of several clutches that were produced this season from yourself, Morelia Hunter, Morelia Morphs, Shane Hunter, John Weigal, Simon Stone, and no doubt a few others.

I hope this post dosn't come off as argumentative, does it?
I am just interested in reading your views while also expressing my own. But at the end of the day all it boils down to is members opinions, thoughts & feelings. Nothing will be determined fact untill next seasons hatchlings are sold.

i thought this was the first big year of people other than simon stone breeding albino darwins.....
i reckon two years down the track the price'll start to drop as all this years hatchy's start to breed.

Ramsayi,
I think you may have the wrong impression of peoples opinions in this thread. Mine atleast unless I have misworded my meanings or you are refering to past threads that people have wrote. I don't know. Anyway I am not insinuating that the Snake Ranch would dictate prices on Hets. I just used them as an example to indicate how their stock was sold cheaper than the original price of $3000ea that Simon was selling them for a few years ago. I understand you probly don't want to publically announce your asking price on Hets, but can you tell me if in the last 2 seasons that you have bred them were they still $3000ea or below this? The prices I have seen this season are $1200 - $2500 a pair so they have came down a bit. The other thing that may be misconstrued here regarding pricing is whether we are discussing the average market price or the lowest advertised price. EG: 5 breeders ask $2000ea and 2 ask $1000ea. You could say the prices have came down to $1000, however the average price is still $2000 which it was years ago and it all depends how you look at it I guess. Can I ask your opinion of why you think they will not budge in price over the next 3-4 years?

As for where are they all, I can't answer that one. Mainly because like yourself alot of keepers are secretive about the fact. But I am sure you already know of several clutches that were produced this season from yourself, Morelia Hunter, Morelia Morphs, Shane Hunter, John Weigal, Simon Stone, and no doubt a few others.

I hope this post dosn't come off as argumentative, does it?
I am just interested in reading your views while also expressing my own. But at the end of the day all it boils down to is members opinions, thoughts & feelings. Nothing will be determined fact untill next seasons hatchlings are sold.

amazonian,
I am not taking anything in this thread as being argumentive far from it.Im more trying to get the point across that all the ones talking them down have flawed logic with regard to how prices will come down.

Just because someone sells something well below a usual price doesnt automatically set a new lower price.I know you already understand this but it seems a lot of others don't.Hell we give away stuff each and every year but that doesnt make them worthless in subsequent seasons.

As I wrote earlier YES prices will come down over time but it will be more of a gradual thing.To my mind they represent great value for anyone wanting the albino gene in their collection and prices to some extent should be reflect this.

As far as what we have been selling them for this season I cant answer as I havent put any on the market yet but they will be a little bit cheaper than we had them last year.What I can tell you is that we have been happy with the price we have sold for as have the people buying from us.

Yes I am aware of who has bred them this season and knowing that goes a long way to proving my point that there will not be hundreds floating around this season which seems to be wishful thinking on the part of people promoting that line.

btw,one person on your list hasnt bred them this season as they dont have gene in their collection.

Ok, pretty much my thought of logic also, so we do agree :)
I wasn't sure if you refering to my posts, someone elses or even previous posts in other threads lol. I must admit I havn't read every post on the subject so am I am unaware of most members opinions. Also I am pretty new to these forums and with the lack of face to face communication I find it is very easy to misinterpret many things. I guess my example of "average price vs lowest advertised price" is where the confusion lies with many people, exactly as you have wrote it "Just because someone sells something well below a usual price doesnt automatically set a new lower price" & I agree whole heartedly.

Because the subject is pretty hypothetical & has no true answer to it, as a price can't be confirmed untill the day actually arrives that these hatchlings are sold. I was wondering what people would be willing to pay for these animals themselves? Again this is just personal opinions that don't change anything, but atleast we get a rough idea of what the demand is & what people are willing to pay.

For me:
$7000 a pair for RSP
$8000 a pair for Albino carpets.
$1200 a pair for Hets.

One thing I dont understand is yours and some others percieved prices for darwin hets.If 8k/pair for albinos is reasonable in your eyes how do you then come up with $1200/pair for hets? Not having a go just trying to understand that logic.

If, you think about it price will only drop. Because the more they breed the more they become avaliable.

Lol

The answer is simple just get an albino RSP:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL

One thing I dont understand is yours and some others percieved prices for darwin hets.If 8k/pair for albinos is reasonable in your eyes how do you then come up with $1200/pair for hets? Not having a go just trying to understand that logic.

That is just what I would be willing to pay for them.
Reason being an albino pair will produce 100% what I'd want, where as Hets mean more work for me to get the results I am after, breeding back & forth. Well not that extreme but atleast twice the waiting time anyway.

Don't get me wrong, they are probably worth 2-3 times that amount to some buyers. Yourself for eg: seem content to work with the species throwing them over normals & each other etc. and it would be a great project no doubt. But personally not something I want to do, not atm anyway. So to me they aren't worth purchasing unless I got an offer for a really good price, in this case $1200 & then I would bite the bullet.

Last edited:
Ok, pretty much my thought of logic also, so we do agree :)
I wasn't sure if you refering to my posts, someone elses or even previous posts in other threads lol. I must admit I havn't read every post on the subject so am I am unaware of most members opinions. Also I am pretty new to these forums and with the lack of face to face communication I find it is very easy to misinterpret many things. I guess my example of "average price vs lowest advertised price" is where the confusion lies with many people, exactly as you have wrote it "Just because someone sells something well below a usual price doesnt automatically set a new lower price" & I agree whole heartedly.

Because the subject is pretty hypothetical & has no true answer to it, as a price can't be confirmed untill the day actually arrives that these hatchlings are sold. I was wondering what people would be willing to pay for these animals themselves? Again this is just personal opinions that don't change anything, but atleast we get a rough idea of what the demand is & what people are willing to pay.

For me:
$7000 a pair for RSP
$8000 a pair for Albino carpets.
$1200 a pair for Hets.

This is quite an interesting read, a few herpers agreed that initially het prices were way overpriced on 7 k a pair anyway , which is a bit of cash for normal looking carpets that carries the gene.
If you think $1200 for a pair of het darwins then you obviously won't pay much for hybrid hets which there is a few (or many) floating around. I wonder where hybrid hets will end up if there's no market or demand for them.

Leigh

Well I guess all pricing has to be relevant to something. People that are buying this year probably can afford it, therefore don't find them overpriced. People that arent buying this year but screaming about how overpriced they are probably really, really want them but can't afford them and are having a hissy fit.
But I bet if they did buy them they then would be the last people to want the price to drop.
My opinion, (if anyone is interested) is that in three years time, sure there will be more around, but in three more years there will be more people interested in buying them for their collection too. So the price probably will drop but not by much.
Even if they drop to $4000 ea, 15 hatchies will still be a good return $60,000. (eg albino Darwin)

i'd say they will drop yes, but not by much,
albino darwins this season and next $6600....
i'd say maybe $5500 the following season..

I'd say the people hoping to breed them will speculate that they will hold their value, people wanting to buy them or disliking the people who hope to breed them will speculate that the prices will crash, and the amount they sell for will continue to be determined by what people are willing to pay. The prices of some things are difficult to predict, these things are fairly easy, but whatever you say, your words will be drowned out by the ravings of many other people with many opposing ideas.

If you're wanting to invest in snakes purely because you want to make money, you're quite mad! ;) If you only pay what you're willing to pay for a snake and you'll be happy with it even if you never make a dollar, you'll always make good purchases :)

even in 10 years albinos should still be at least a few grand.even with all the hets hitting the market,its still going to be 3 or so years before they have babies,so only 3-4 ,on average, per clutch will be albino,and the breeders wont be selling the albinos.so it will be atleast 6 years until that same breeder will be producing a significant amount of albinos to sell. and seeing as they are a highly soughtafter snake there will be a waiting list for many years which will keep the albino price alot higher than hets.
and in about 3 years from now there will be so many possible hets out there most people will have no idea what they are buying,so unless your buying an albino its the only way you will be sure you know what your getting.there will be plenty of dodgy breeders chasing a quick buck selling possible hets as positive hets buy that stage.
to me it would be a better investment to buy an albino pair to start with,and in about 3 years they pay for themselves and then some,then to buy hets ,or possibles because you'll be waiting 6 years to make a bit of profit.could have been an extra 3 years of breeding albinos at around $60 000 a year.simple maths,more profit and you get your beautiful albino pythons alot sooner.

re Price

Yeh ide rather buy albinos than hets,price of albinos dont seem that bad ,its the GTP market that ime wary of, its very suspect allot codswollup and manipulation going on there ;)

A lot of people are saying this species and that colour morph are overpriced...quite clearly they aren't, as people are still buying them - if they were overpriced, they wouldn't sell, and the price would fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back