Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking without any scientific qualification or survey material about the matter, it is my opinion that wheeleri are indeed quite common in the wild. This opinion is purely based on the amount of specimens I have seen throughout their habitat while there looking for Pilbara Adders on numerous occasions. Very surprising though is only last week smack bang in the middle of wheeleri country I turned up a Nephrurus levis specimen and I don’t believe it is Nephrurus levis pilbarensis.

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave
So do you think it is a new levis species? Did you happen to get any photos of it?
I would love to see the Wheeleri in wild....

Cheers

Thanks for the input Dave,
Next time you're out there, would it be possible to get a few photos of Wheeleri/Levis Pilbarensis habitats?

Thats very exciting news Dave would be great if u did happen to have got some photos ?

snake

mistymtn
No it is probably just Nephrurus levis, just seemed so out of place being there. Sorry, I didn’t mean to give out the impression I had found something new.
Glider
No problems, I will be back there in a day or so.

Hi Dave,

Seeing wheeleri are so common in the wild, why are people like yourself not allowed to collect them? What criteria do they work on to know what species can & can’t be collected?

Hi All, .

Finally received a email reply re Wheeleri:

To Kelly, unsexed wheeleri are $6000 pair, sexed
> older young are $7000
>
> Let me know if interested, they will go very quickly

i think NPWS needs to do a little more exotic busts and off licence animals busts. this is far more common and dangerous to our environment then deciding who in what statess can own a gecko. by all means control the wild stock by strict licences on wild caught. but seriousely, i cant tell you the amount of times ive been offered exotics in the last three weeks. even through a pet store!!!

dobbing someone in is a little different when a $100 000 fine is involved and you know them. but they need some sort of effort to scare people into gettign a licence, getting onlicence animals and stay away from exotics. outside of forums there is little knowledge of the danger of exotic species on our wildlife.

sounds like a nice gecko tho. but i think exotics is a bigger problem for NPWS and i havent seen/heard of many busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back