Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave
I think Andy is the one that is keeping it real. He did not start it Bob did, he stated that Andy was wrong on his location. Which may or may not be right but Andy is showing some integrity in excepting what he was told by a respected herper until proven wrong which hasn't happened. Bob has not given a name or anything to back up his claim, Andy has. I know of two locations central NSW where I have found spotted pythons. Very few people know their there but they are, the same could apply to Mossman.

you people are strange ...... how can you actually believe these animals are from mossman if they are stimsoni ? open a field guide and read a little its not hard to figure out.

could they really be pygmy spotteds then if they were from mossman? LOL

you people are strange ...... how can you actually believe these animals are from mossman if they are stimsoni ? open a field guide and read a little its not hard to figure out.

Distribution maps aren't always right mate... reptiles don't sit around thinking "Hey, crap, I can't go there that's not on my distrubtion map!"

Things get even more hazy when you're nearing the so-called species boundaries. Where does one stop and the next one start?

We all know that according to the maps it's maculosa territory, but personally I've never been herping up there so how am I to know for sure one way or the other?

ive been up there and found maculosa.

distribution maps maybe not so accurate but micro habitats are usually fairly right and stimsoni dont occur in rainforests

Nathan
Strange, I think believing stimsons can read a field guide and stay in the area that the guide says where there from is a little strange. All of us that go out into the bush soon realize its just that a guide.

ive been up there and found maculosa.

distribution maps maybe not so accurate but micro habitats are usually fairly right and stimsoni dont occur in rainforests

I think I recall another thread on these guys where Bob, Dave or Roger (sorry guys, can't remember who it was) said these "pygmy stimsoni" are also found in Atherton & Mareeba.

Rodney, i have spent alot of time in the bush to realise this. in regards to your maculosa finds if they are outside known areas for them perhaps you should notify the museum or write a range extension paper as i did for Varanus tristis.

Slacker, you will find the country around mareeba and in particular on the road west of mareeba is much more suited to a stimsoni as it is alot more dry.

can anyone shed some light on how to accurately id the different members of the Antaresia group? i thought the scale counts where not an accurate indicator. Do we base it purely on distribution maps and appearance?

Nathan
If you realise this then I guess you accept they are sometimes found outside their known area's. Which could possible be the case in Mossman. And as far as writing a paper on the spotted some of us don't feel the need.

Slacker, you will find the country around mareeba and in particular on the road west of mareeba is much more suited to a stimsoni as it is alot more dry.

Righto, as I've said, I've never been up there. It was my understanding that the Atherton area was primarily rainforest.

can anyone shed some light on how to accurately id the different members of the Antaresia group? i thought the scale counts where not an accurate indicator. Do we base it purely on distribution maps and appearance?

Appearance and distribution maps to my understanding, except perthensis which can (sometimes?) have scale counts differing from stimsoni.

This is where things can get a bit tricky with Antaresia. For example, I have some Undara locality "Antaresia" which anyone would swear are 100% maculosa, some might even say "blondes." But there's apparently animals which appear to be maculosa, and animals which appear to be stimsoni and intermediate animals found in that location.

:lol:SO IT IS ONLY 30 KMS :rolleyes: ....... so really it just seems like a poor way about going look at me ,look at me ....why would you bother it is more then clear to me now my friend michael could be right. he said they where found in a small pocket of scrub( ect ) at mossman . 30kms from where bob is saying is not to hard to believe . all this talk about macs only found there . another well known herper tryed to convince me they where a natual intergrade . which could be true also .... so yeah thanks for nothing all the doubters like i said pull your heads in . because BOB could be wrong and yes he could be right . 30kms :lol: i might just call them qld giant stimo mac intergrades . that will be as accurate as someone going, i got a pilbra stimo, at least im heading in the right direction ... and these things are not just stimos they are very different in shape and size so it does matter

Wow, all the people who believe these stimmies are from Mossman have never been there obviously,
Not hard to believe when you consider the contrast in vegetation betweem the 2 places.
Its not just like your next suburb away, :)
Go visit the places and make your judgement, not on what you imagine it is like, they vary greatly.
Cheers
Adam.

I can see it now..."Northern Rainforest Stimmies for sale".....

why dont you just call them pygmy antaresia?
that would be to easy hobs . but you still get people saying that part aint true either . .no.... my ones ill just call them what they where sold to me as same as any other of my pythons . this sort of thing is nothing new people like to bag jungle localitys, diamonds , snake ranch wheatbelts ect . :lol: really if you didnt catch it yourself you cant be 100% sure .

mate i didnt buy them off you i bought them off michael so i took his word [/QUOTE said:
really if you didnt catch it yourself you cant be 100% sure .[/quote said:
nothing sweeter than a contradictory statement hahahahha

We keep hearing that they cant be found in Mossman because stimsons aren't found in rain forests, and usually they aren't. But these aren't the same as other stimsons, they look different in many ways and of course half the size. So because of the fact that they are different couldn't they be found in different habitat than normal.

nothing sweeter than a contradictory statement hahahahha

your a clown , ive said i bought them as such right from the start . also from the start ive never said BOB IS WRONG or im 100 % right just there is more then a chance they where found at mossman . ive had nothing then personally experiance to say otherwise . so im not 100% sure .. but found no need for a name change yet .. hahahahaha yourself you got nothing mate other then crap to say . at least BOB has had ago you done squat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back