Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dintony

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone can tell what snake species you are allowed to keep on a Recreational wildlife licence ?

I've googled but can't find a list,

Thanks.

Pretty much everything i think... We're the lucky ones... How about - instead of everyone spending the next year typing everything in - you say "I want this animal..." and we say if you can have it?

On the actual licence i think... somewhere in the depths of my room - I know we can't have anymore than 2 restricted species... (without an upgrade) but everything else is pretty much go for it. why? what would you like?

Every species you normally see available other than elapids and no more than two restricted species (woma's and Green Tree Pythons) you can have more of them but you would have to upgrade your liceance. For the species list go to the EPA website

Allana :)

Thanks guys....

I'm not sure serena.... was going to look at a list and do a bit of researching.

Is there something 'medium' sized.... bigger than a spotted but not big enough to eat my mini foxy (lol)????

And how hard is it to upgrade?

Ok.... let me get this straight....

I can keep any amount of say...spotted pythons???

But only say....1GTP and 1 BHP???

Sorry if I have this wrong.

it isn't hard if you are only upgrading for pythons, but you need to do a course and/or get recommendation from 2 ven keepers for a vens licence.

You can keep any reptile apart from elapids, crocodiles, sea snakes and sea turtles.
Specifically:
Elapids
Pseudechis spp - Black Snakes
Hoplocephalus spp - Broad-Headed Snakes
Pseudonaja spp - Brown Snakes
Pseudechis colletti - Collett's snake
Austrelaps spp - Copperheads
Acanthopis spp - Death Adders
Rhinoplocephalus Nigriscens - Eastern Small-Eyed Snake
Tropidechis Carinatus - Rough Scaled Snake
Oxyuranus spp - Taipans
Notechis spp - Tiger Snakes

all species of Hydrophiidae - Sea Snakes

all species of Laticaudidae - Sea Kraits

all reptiles of the family Cheloniidae - Sea Turtles

all reptiles of the family Dermochelyidae - Leatherback Sea Turtles

Crocodylus Johnstoni - Freshwater Crocodile

Crocodylus porosus - Saltwater Crocodile

All rare or threatened amphibians.

---

Restricted animals are ones that are classified "rare" or "threatened" in the wild (even if they are plentiful in captivity), or "international" (this only refers to the green tree python, other than the Australian population)

So yes, you can have a thousand spotted pythons, but only two restricted reptiles (yes, that means 2 total, not 2 of each :lol: )

cheers,
-Penny

if you find a snake you like, and are unsure if it is a restricted reptile, just give the EPA a call and they will look it up for you.

BHP's are restricted as well aren't they?

Definately not. If it is not an endangered QLD endemic species or a venomous species then it is a recreational species.
BHP's fall into neither category so can be kept as a recreational species.

u can have any python i think but no species like elapide, colubride etc, etc. gud luck i can try and find u a list if u want

That would be cool ryan.... :)

I'd like a list so I can go through and research each species.

As I mentioned above if it is not rare/endangered QLD endemic or an elapid/croc etc. then it is on the rec list. An actual list is not produced simply because the list of rare and endangered is not fixed (it changes constantly) and this means that potentially any such list will always be out of date. You can google a list of rare/endangered QLD reptile species ad add that to the elapid list and there's your list for this moment in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back