Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see a National RKA formed to fight this issue and any others that arise on behalf of all reptile keepers Australia wide. Probably based in NSW as it looks like this will be the battleground to start. Some of the people in the EAG thats been on this issue from the start would be a good start for some representatives. They know whats happened so far and are not coming in "fresh" and we need people aware of the problems and are up to speed on it.
I'd also like to see a good solicitor retained for the NRKA. memberships from us can fund the group as well as donations.

Well count me in for this organisation! Cause i am sick to death of the bureaucrats who know absolutely nothing about a law they are trying to inforce and dont even have animal welfare in mind!
Some one needs to make a short documentary showing how detrimental some of the proposed laws can be to certain individual animals and distribute it to these stupid pollies!
I think a protest is in order on the door step of these departments! We cant sit back and do nothing.

Pardon me for budding in as a Queenslander but this issue is of concern to all reptile keepers.

Looking back over the years, the NARKA (or something like that) have not achieved much at all. I am not saying they haven't done much but the results are poor at least to say.
You people need a new army with a new general. Form an organisation that will have a web site where (unlike on forums) you can publish names, phone numbers and email addresses of those individuals who are instrumental in this cage size nonsense, the complex licensing and restrictions on Interstate Trade. A web side where we all can make donations for the cause. The general and his 2ICs must be people with no commercial interest, with nothing to loose and with plenty of vigor.
One or two names keep popping up prominently, this person is not the "driver" (the animal libs are), he is the "administrator" and he must go. That has to be the step number one - take out their general. That can be achieved by relentless bombardment of emails and phone calls, not only to him but to his cronies and superiors as well, including the Minister and MPs. Don't underestimate the people's power, they knocked down the Berlin wall, so what is one sick Department in comparison?

Michael

Sounds great, not something I could do, but I'll be right here to support such a movement.

I'm sure that if we have a well organised body representing the interest of herpers we will be taken far more seriously than we currently are complaining amongst ourselves!

So any ideas who would put their hand up to start such a group?

I am sorry but they can go shove it were the sun doesn't shine. I keep my snake in enclosures large enough for the size snake. Given that my Bredli only uses about 5% of it's enclosure, just sits in it's hide all the time. Most people look after their snake fair better then they probably need. If the DECCW (or what ever they changed the name to) want to do something to help reptiles. Go protect the endangered species. Captive snakes don't matter really. Its the ones in the wild they should worry about. Kindly sod off

That brings up an interesting point that Michael Duncan (president of the AHS) brought to my attention earlier in the year......
Once an animal becomes a "pet" or a legally held captive, it should not fall under the control of NPWS/DECCWE or whatever they are called this week. They cease to be a wild animal and should fall under the control of RSPCA...(who we all know care for "all creatures great and small"..except reptiles and amphibians)
sorry about the rant....
I am 56 years old and have been keeping reptiles since I was 10 (still have 2 of those), and I think I know what size "habitats" my animals are most comfortable in... As I said previously, look at the displays at Taronga and other institutions and you will see that they don't comply with the proposals either.Luckily they won't have to I guess, but bad luck for us. (and I don't like plastic tubs too, I like to see my animals)

RSPCA...(who we all know care for "all creatures great and small"..except reptiles and amphibians)

I was under the assumption the RSPCA are now controlled by animal liberationist/welfare type groups who are the very ones wanting to stop us keeping reptiles.

P.E.T.A. is a similar animal liberationist type organisation overseas
PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com

I used to be a supporter of the RSPCA but not anymore...

I used to be a supporter of the RSPCA but not anymore...

The same thing here. When they knock on my door I give them nothing and I tell them why.

On the other hand, I like PETA, they're my kind of people. People Eating Tasty Animals.

….*Bring NSW into line with other states such as Victoria and Qld that have codes of practice for private keeping of reptiles.
Anyone in Vic or Qld care to comment on mandatory minimum cage sizes in those states or are they guidelines only?

A pathetic argument! Whichever way you look at it.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Update...

I have put my macs back into their hatchie slytherin racks and they are eating again like little champs. They really should be in their tanks BUT they would not EAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back