Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Browns the scientific name for an intergrade is Morelia spilota petshoppi

I believe they should have one common name to be referred to. I understand ppl calling a Maculosa a maccy as it's just a nickname and a quick way of typing or talking to those that know. It's certainly easier then typing or saying Eastern Small Blotched Python every time your talking about them. It would be good for ppl that don't understand ie. ppl just getting their first "bearded" dragon or "childrens" pythons to have a simple common name specific to that species. :?

I was in a local very expensive pet shop out my way at Kellyville and I ran into a young lady and started talking about reptiles. When she said she wanted a bearded dragon I asked her what type. Her response was "what do you mean, I thought there was only one".So after spending 30mins explaining this to her also found out that they were trying to sell her one for $100. :shock: What a rip off. So I gave her some internet sites such as this one and herptrader. Hopefully she will have a better understanding of the types of dragons now when she looks to buy one. :lol:

I think it is very frustrating to find that new ppl to the herp world have trouble in understanding that there is more than one species of "childrens" pythons and more than one species of "bearded" dragon.

That's why I think, they should have one simple common name and a scientific name to be known by. If they were only refered to as Shingleback or Central bearded dragon, then ppl would have a better understanding. IMO anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Duga................last seen leggin it into the bush :)

Browns the scientific name for an intergrade is Morelia spilota petshoppi
LOL Stevo...i thought it was Morelia Spiloata petshoppi rippedoffi

Screw common names.
Lets use scientific names. You are all smart enough to learn them ,its not hard, and at least when someone mentions a snake, we all know what they are talking about

John - why do you use "Sdaji" as your name in posts - you're not trying to confuse anyone or hide your identity are you? Don't apologise for expressing your opinion - thats what the forum is for.

Oh no, I gave my real name away!! My anonymity is destroyed! :(
:p ;)
Actually, I think you're the only one around here who uses their full name. I probably would have used mine except that I first noticed that everyone else was using silly ones. Sdaji has been a nick name of mine for years, although no herps use it, it's either John or sometimes herps call me 'Dr Pepper' ! I've often wondered how many of the people's faces I know but don't recognise because of the names we have. I'm sure a few Victorians here would recognise my face if they saw it.

What do you think about non descriptive names like 'tiger', 'lion', 'koala', 'galah' etc etc. Should they be changed to 'big orange cat with stripes', 'big social tan can', 'bear-like tree marsupial', 'pink and grey parot'? There are of course literally thousands more non reptile examples.

My original post was all about getting rid of common names that infer ownership - I used Children's and Stimson's Pythons as examples. I don't have a problem with non-descriptive names if that common name is in widespread use.

The examples you gave were not particularly good. There are Bengal, Sumatran and Siberian Tigers, African and Asiatic Lions. These are all descriptive names. Koala and Galah don't need a descriptor because in each case there is only one species. Most Python names are descriptive in some manner. What I am saying is that they should all be descriptive.

How about we start a "reptile of the day" post with all the alternative published common names and try to get some degree on concensus on what should be promoted as the preferred common name. Of course, South Australians would be barred from participating. :lol:

Good points, but I still disagree, sorry ;) I actually prefer non descriptive names a lot of the time because they aren't mis leading. Saltwater crocodile is a good example, perhaps that name has even led to human fatalities. I've had many people try to convince me that a saltwater croc can't live in freshwater.

How about we start reptile day with johnston's crocodile. I've never heard of another name for it, perhaps someone else has :)

Screw common names.
Lets use scientific names. You are all smart enough to learn them ,its not hard, and at least when someone mentions a snake, we all know what they are talking about

i agree. im good with most aussie reptiles, but i keep the wilson and swan book near by. its easy to learn, but the main problem with me is that i can pronounce them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back