Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MechanisedXRATX

Reaction score
youI'll be buying my first rough- scale python next year. Are there any health issues with these python?. Has any one had one die?
I keep all my snakes in a slitherin python rack. How do guy fell about them?
They are big tubs. I have 3 python. 2 of which genuinly dont mind living in my rack. One of them is year and 10 month year old coastal carpet who spends most of his time if not all of her time in a clay vars i made in grade 12 art class.
The second snake is a 10 month water python who loves it.
My 3rd snake is a 10 month old jungle who look like his trying to escape everynight, its tring to climb through the top of the dam thing. I don't know if this stress the snake. Its well fed. he just look like he needs a vertical cage. I think it'll stop when it gets bigger. His got a hide rock i might also add a perch.

My scrub python died i overfed it two adult mice in 24hr, Its was 4 or 5 months. Personally think it would have died any way. It had weak digestion or somthing. It was the last one from the clutch.

Will a rough-scale python be ok in a slitherin python rack? Im not willing to risk bying a gtp and then finding it dead covered in flys.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Maybe you could accrue a bit more experience with the easier-to-keep species before moving to the difficult species. You're willing to buy a rough-scaled python and find it dead and covered in flies? They're no easier to keep than a GTP.

. You're willing to buy a rough-scaled python and find it dead and covered in flies? They're no easier to keep than a GTP.

what the beeeep lolz hmmm sounds like you need abit more experiance

RSP's are as easy to keep as any other carpet. you wont have any issues, aslong as you buy a well established feeding animal

My scrub python died i overfed it two adult mice in 24hr, Its was 4 or 5 months. Personally think it would have died any way. It had weak digestion or somthing. It was the last one from the clutch.

you cant really overfeed a snake 2 mice, at 4-5 months even my macs are eating that.

Rsp

Hi There.

I own 9 RSP. They all feed excellently, from 2 different, long time herpers.

They are excellent snakes to keep and maintain, feed well, handle well, very innofensive natures once their past the first few months out of the egg.(like most pythons)

In my opinion(and i've kept alot of different species in the last 25 odd years)
RSP would suit even the most novice of keepers.

I'd say, the only thing to watch out for with them, is they are a little difficult to pick when they are beginning a slough cycle, once you have maintained them for a little while, i'm sure with record keeping and the hands on experience, you'll pick it by the second or third cycle.

So, if you want one, go get one(or two, or three:D)

Can get them from around $900 for males and a little more for females.

Cheers

Giant teeth?

Hi Asharee.

Yes they do have larger than normal(for morelia) teeth.

The funny thing is, when they are being defensive and strike at you, they either 'head butt' or bite and release, but only once have i been bitten (and released.) Tiny bite, didn't even break the skin.

This happened only when they were hatchies and once settled into a consistent routine, they become very "friendly" so to speak.

cheers

Thanks Redcentre for the info.
There are alot of Victorians looking at getting one now the DSE has put them on licence.
Even myself. Good to know what they are like.

RSP's are as easy to keep as any other carpet. you wont have any issues, aslong as you buy a well established feeding animal
It's that last bit that's tricky. Some of them are not so easy to keep, the one I was given to care for was rather fussy and like to be kept very quiet. I've kept chondros that were easier than that bugger. Mind you the one I kept was out of a very early captive breeding quite a few years ago- not necessarily a well-established captive animal. Glad they're not all so nervous.

It's that last bit that's tricky. Some of them are not so easy to keep, the one I was given to care for was rather fussy and like to be kept very quiet. I've kept chondros that were easier than that bugger. Mind you the one I kept was out of a very early captive breeding quite a few years ago- not necessarily a well-established captive animal. Glad they're not all so nervous.

Just last night I was reading John Weigel's chapter on RSPs in Mike Swan's python book (interesting read actually). Sounded like a number of the early captive bred hatchies had probs getting to feed reliably.
Having said that, ethics would dictate that any hatchies sold these days would be established, reliable feeders (for any snake, not just RSPs). You'd hope so, anyway.

Sounded like a number of the early captive bred hatchies had probs getting to feed reliably.
I know ;) Even a couple that reached adult size remained difficult to keep. I'm honestly surprised that they are now considered easy to keep. That's good, cos I'd like a couple of established ones. I hadn't noticed the price drop until recently too, bloody radical, last time I looked they were $15,000 (Johns first breedings).

I think you'll find that the ones that were considered difficult to keep were JW's wild caught ones, and the only difficulty was because he had to work out what they would eat. Once he got them feeding it was easy for him to switch them over to lab rats and away we go. I don't find them any different to any other carpet husbandry wise. A lot different in phisical make up though which is their charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back