Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so is it the same as darwin with only being aloud to keep it till its 1 metre long then you need to give it back to the wild life parks, they then give you another one?

so is it the same as darwin with only being aloud to keep it till its 1 metre long then you need to give it back to the wild life parks, they then give you another one?

nope, mine is about 1.2 at the moment, i have had to slow down his feeding to once a fortnight until i have finished his new enclosure, he grew nearly a foot over 2 months i havent had him "sexed" but most(95%) of crocodiles that come from crocodile parks are male, because of the way that sex is determined and the rate at which males grow compared to females, the crocodile parks incubate the eggs at 30 degrees(i think) to get nearly all the hatchlings as males, if the incubation temps are too high or too low the hatchlings will be females.

nope, mine is about 1.2 at the moment, i have had to slow down his feeding to once a fortnight until i have finished his new enclosure, he grew nearly a foot over 2 months i havent had him "sexed" but most(95%) of crocodiles that come from crocodile parks are male, because of the way that sex is determined and the rate at which males grow compared to females, the crocodile parks incubate the eggs at 30 degrees(i think) to get nearly all the hatchlings as males, if the incubation temps are too high or too low the hatchlings will be females.

Thanks for that! We were told the day we spoke to you at Totally Reptiles to enquire about the incubation to try and determine sex. We think he is a male anyway.

How do you go about getting them sexed?

How do you go about getting them sexed?

When they are big enough you need to stick your finger in the cloaca and feel around. If you feel anything in there its a male, if theres nothing in there its a female.

Another ways is when you put your finger in the cloaca, if it turns to bite its male, if it turns and winks its female:D

When they are big enough you need to stick your finger in the cloaca and feel around. If you feel anything in there its a male, if theres nothing in there its a female.

Another ways is when you put your finger in the cloaca, if it turns to bite its male, if it turns and winks its female:D

LOL thanks Moreliac!

Another ways is when you put your finger in the cloaca, if it turns to bite its male, if it turns and winks its female:D .....................classic lmao..

A guy in darwin about 10 years ago was killed by his pet salty... He'd had it for a great many years, pretty much since it was a hatchling.. He'd fed it regularly, and then one day, he walked into the enclosure just as he always did to have a bit of a tidy up etc... BAM.. the croc lurched out of the pool, grabbed hold of him, dragged him back into the pool and started rolling....

I love the animals, but wouldnt keep one as a pet... I dont think at any stage, no matter what your history of handling when its young or how you've cared for it as its got older, a Salty never become a tame animal. It will never learn to like you, and it will never stop considering you as a meal....

I hope you have fun with your new salty, and I definitely hope you dont meet the same fate as the afforementioned gentleman..
Im sure that if you respect the animal in the way it deserves to be respected then by all means keeping a salty untill its perhaps 2.5m long could be considered "safe" once it got bigger than that, I'd be calling the zoo and asking them if they wanted to swap it for a hatchy...

A guy in darwin about 10 years ago was killed by his pet salty... He'd had it for a great many years, pretty much since it was a hatchling.. He'd fed it regularly, and then one day, he walked into the enclosure just as he always did to have a bit of a tidy up etc... BAM.. the croc lurched out of the pool, grabbed hold of him, dragged him back into the pool and started rolling....

I love the animals, but wouldnt keep one as a pet... I dont think at any stage, no matter what your history of handling when its young or how you've cared for it as its got older, a Salty never become a tame animal. It will never learn to like you, and it will never stop considering you as a meal....

I hope you have fun with your new salty, and I definitely hope you dont meet the same fate as the afforementioned gentleman..
Im sure that if you respect the animal in the way it deserves to be respected then by all means keeping a salty untill its perhaps 2.5m long could be considered "safe" once it got bigger than that, I'd be calling the zoo and asking them if they wanted to swap it for a hatchy...

G'day Alex,

Do you have any references to the guy who was killed by his pet croc? I've never heard of it before...

^ I've never heard of that one either!

There was a guy some time ago who lost his arm to his lifelong pet croc...can't remember if it was Cairns or Darwin.

Hi there,

We've well considered what Salties are capable of and we know not to turn our backs on him when he is older. We are aware we can never fully trust him as they are purely instinctual animals. My partner has worked with them in Zoos before and has experience with them in the wild since he was young. They deserve great respect as they are the oldest predator that hasn't had to change for millions of years and are capable of great destruction.

And he/she is proving to be an absolute joy to keep so far.

I dont have any web links for it.. I was living in darwin at the time, and the only reason I know about it was that he was a friend of my family... I dont think it was in any of the papers etc.. however I was 12~13 yrs old at the time, and so I didnt exactly read the papers.. I remember being at his house for dinner one night, he got all excited and said, hey.. Come and have a look at my pet "spot"... we went out into the back yard, and there it was, in the pool enclosure.. damn near fully grown female salty... I was a big reptile fan then as I am now, however my first thought was "Bugger that" I'd kept the odd dragon at that point, and had a frilly at the time too.. though the idea of a pet salt water croc was just to much for me to even fathom... After being bitten by the odd snake, a lot of frillies and a water dragon or two, I didn't even want to imagine a 50cm croc latching onto my finger... let alone once it hits 100~200cm..

I bet its a joy to have... and I hope its a real sweetie... I think if it were me though, once it got to 1.2~1.5m long, I'd want to trade it for another hatchy... once they get big I think it would be a real hassle... I will say this though... Its very good to know that you and your partner have some experience in looking after these creatures... without which I think it would be far too much of an undertaking...

Best of luck with him/her and do post plenty of pics of his development.. From my understanding it'll grow pretty fast if its fed up well.. :)

Alex.

stiched, nah its not the shop on prospect road. i know the one you are thinking of, the croc got replaced by 2 of the most amazing looking perenties.
nah its called fish haven on maxwell road in para hills.
they had a handful of freshies a few months ago when i went for a browse so i went for another look and was going to ask a few questions, but they didnt have any. just the massive saltie, and the 2 huge darwin carpets up the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back