Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To every one here you seem to be sane , but to the rest of the world i guess we are all a little insane .
I get really odd looks when i tell people i keep pythons , i'd love to see the look if i said i keep vens

My father thinks I am a total retard for keeping a RBB in the house (at all for that matter). When I told him my next snake was going to be a black tiger snake, he nearly fell off his chair! He really has a problem with it (he says it's because he's worried about me - fair enough I guess). A lot of people look at me funny, and tell me there is something wrong with me, I just reply "well, we can't all be boring". Probably a stupid answer, but thats just what I say!

I know I am not insane! I just love snakes, and want to help the local community, and snake population by providing a service that is in demand in my area by getting my snake catching permit.

Regards,
-Jos

In the past distant past I had 20+ tigers dont keep hots any more as no amount of antvenin is going to save me with my age sate of health etc.
As Elapid68 said you have to be on your toes at ALL times.

I'm a big fan of elapid snakes Daniel. I think they are, in my opinion, the pinnacle challenge in this hobby. They aren’t for everyone most certainly, and I don’t keep anything more venomous than a Brown Tree Snake (not that I wouldn’t mind a red belly or tiger mind you - but that's not really my fault).

Why should a snake enthusiast be judged crazy for wanting to keep venomous snakes?? Aren’t they just as intriguing and beautiful? There is nothing more stunning than a blacksnake out on a rock with a flattened hood taking in the sun, or seeing the beautiful colouration of a common tiger (very nice choice in elapid IMO).

Sometimes I’ve found it’s just not worth the effort in trying to convince or explain to those who remain so set in their thinking & narrow-minded and fail to see why these animals are so spectacular. In reality, you’re only a bit looper than the rest of us, but rest assured, the best bit is the majority of us understand you perfectly :lol:

ps: Yes, some piccies would be greatly appreciated. We don't get to see enough vens on here at times ;)

Hi guys i have 2 Common Tiger Snakes and every time i tell someone about them they think im mad! Just wanting your opinion on owning elapids and would be intersted to know what sort of elapids you guys have!
Cheers Daniel
I think if you still need to field this question you still havent attained the right attitude to snake keeping.
There is nothing inherently weird about it. Why would you even bother responding to those people.:?

Does it really matter what other people think.
If you feel comfortable enough and responsible enough and you are fully aware of the potential problems you can face and you are 100% sure this is what you want ???
Give it a go
Just remember to have a good snake bite kit and a emergency procedure established.
Also try not to handle elapids when you are by yourself.

hi you cant tell if a person is sane or insane just because he or she keeps ven snakes. i know what you mean by what people say but iv seen people who dont even have an interest in reptiles and sometimes i think they need some help real bad. as of keeping vens keep up the good work. there great

Pics

As you guys requested my beautiful tigers - the first pic is of Fluffy and the second pic is of Copinodo! Hope you all enjoy!

Attachments

• Fluffy 4.jpg
    Fluffy 4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 07042007045.jpg
    07042007045.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 55
i reckon your insane if you dont want an elapid! i thought thats why people liked snakes! The fact somethin with no arms or legs can kill you just by biting you! as much as i like handling pythons and non-vens... there is a thrill about getting closer and closer to elapids that draws me in

i want to keep some one day, would love to, dont think the girlfriend would like that thoe!

I think you are deffinately NOT insane. I myself cant wait to do a ven course and upgrade my licence. Within the next year or so i hope to be a proud owner of a RRBS, some death adders would be nice to!!

Thanks

Well thanks guys at least i no i have plenty of people on my side. Hope you enjoyed those pics and will keep you guys posted as my collection increases!

Personally I think Australian elapids are the pinnacle of the snake world. If you have the experience and appropriate training and attitude I think elapids are great to keep. (At this stage I'm not ready but would love to get some Death Adders - I think their hunting technique is awesome. Why chase your food if you can get it to come to you?)

Many people think certain hobbies are insane. Mountain climbing or parachuting anyone? Many of my previous colleagues think I'm a bit odd for my recent career change but I wouldn't go back for anything. Its all in your mindset. Most of those who are critical of this sort of thing are leading boring and unfulfilled lives and I don't envy them at all but I bet they envy people like you for pursuing your dreams [Rant mode now off :)]

Don't stress, I have two 60cm Bredli hatchlings and most people I tell think I am mad! I think the general public just don't like snakes in general and you'd be surprised how many don't know that pythons aren't venomous. Just do what you want to do. Don't worry about any one elses opinion. Seriously - there isn't a great deal of difference between a python that isn't handled often and kept in his cage to look at, and a venomous snake. It's only those that want to sit and watch telly with theirs and give it a kiss that should stick to non - venomous. Just my opinion.

Great Opinion

Don't stress, I have two 60cm Bredli hatchlings and most people I tell think I am mad! I think the general public just don't like snakes in general and you'd be surprised how many don't know that pythons aren't venomous. Just do what you want to do. Don't worry about any one elses opinion. Seriously - there isn't a great deal of difference between a python that isn't handled often and kept in his cage to look at, and a venomous snake. It's only those that want to sit and watch telly with theirs and give it a kiss that should stick to non - venomous. Just my opinion.

This is a very well thought out answer and one I 100% agree with. Except the watching the T.V part as my wife would trip right out:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back