Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesnt anyone want to discuss the perfectly valid points i put foreward???

I agree there were soo many benefits in the good old days. Black people knew their place in society, fags either stayed closeted or got the bashing they deserve, woman knew their real role was in the home and didnt try to take control of a mans life outside the home. I could go on all night.

LOL well said!

EDIT: You were being sarcastic weren't you??!!!

Last edited:
16 year olds didn't go around murdering others back then. If anything, it was heard of more then, because it was such an unusual occurrence. They had far more interesting things to do, and if they didn't, they'd find something to do that usually didn't interfere with the lives of others nor involving damage of others property.

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Or are you just making vague Today Tonight-referenced generalisations? Because according to every study done in the last 40 years, violent crime has stayed pretty much static in this period.

The media make it far more accessible - we hear about violent crime from outside our own small community, and many crimes like child abuse and domestic violence are no longer tolerated as they once were. The population has also grown significantly in the intervening period so that the number of violent crimes may have increased, but the rates are virtually identical.

hmmm ive read that some where b4 .... cant rember where :p
but yeah now is kinda becomeing screwed up....
lol "960 - ants die" :p

Check out this site:- [video=youtube;Nn5jlrxcpkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI[/video]
(and no, being hit all the time isn't acceptable, but a short sharp slap, at just the right time never did anyone from my generation any harm, once copped for doing something wrong, it was a definite sure deterrent from doing that thing again!)

There are ways to discipline children over a certain age that don't require violence. Most children above six are capable of reasoning and understanding English, they're not poorly-trained dogs that will only understand a whack. Bribery works wonders. "If you're good this week we'll see this movie on Saturday" can work wonders far greater than "if you use a naughty word I'm going to clip you around the ear". Almost all animals learn far better from the reward of good behavior than the punishment of bad. Anyone who's trained a puppy or a horse knows this - you give them a treat when they obey a command, not a whack when they don't.

The kids of today are the ones that have been given all the bribes, and "reasoned" with till society is sick and tired of their behaviour......................... hmmmmm. a REALLY good way to bring kids up.

The kids of today are the ones that have been given all the bribes, and "reasoned" with till society is sick and tired of their behaviour......................... hmmmmm. a REALLY good way to bring kids up.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that the generations who were bought up with the rod in the fifties and sixties are the same generations who made The Rolling Stones, The Sex Pistols, Bob Marley and Bob Dylan famous, burned their bras, marched against the Vietnam war and did a lot of drugs in the seventies and eighties? Not a lot of respect for authority apparent in the imagery of those eras - my mother was able to get a decent job and get married in her thirties because her generation rejected the traditions of their own parents. The sixties itself was a time of massive cultural and political unheaval, and the changes it caused made the adult lives of the decade's children far better. Many of those people are now teachers and parents themselves, most of whom choose not to discipline their children the way they were disciplined. The most salient and admirable characteristic of the baby boom generation was their rebellion against the culture they were raised in!

Last edited:
I suggest you check out how many drugs were "done" in the 1930's!!!!! And before generalising about how the community deals with their offspring, I suggest you check through this thread and count just how many are advocating the culture the baby boomers were raised in!

** and this is only a tiny section of todays thoughts on the kids of today. There was never any murdering of older people for any menial reason then, schools weren't burned down or vandalised by the students and/or kids in the street, there was more purpose then, kids strived to do better because they knew they would get better grades (sonethig that is non-existant these days), which, in turn, led to striving to become better people, better, contributing, (not destroying) communities.

Then, there were CRIMINALS, not miscreants, HOUSE-BREAKERS AND BURGLARS, not "home invaders" and all the other silly phrases created to make people feel better about themselves. (Think about it, I don't have time to spell it ALL out for you.)

Last edited:
Sad , how did it come to this, i grew up in the 70sand 80's no such thing as add or adhd you were just disciplined or left school and got an apprenticeship at 15. Pinkoe lefties righties land rights for gay whales!!!!!!!!!

Actually ADD and ADHD was around back then....it was just called hyperactivity.

Dipcdame - Yes i am a 21 year old of 2008, what's your point? I came to this conclusion after speaking to many older people, non bitter and happy people who contribute much to society and use their time to the full. They believe, as do i, that as an intelligent human being we are able to sort things out without having to use physical force. Of course it depends on the individual.

My point i was trying to make earlier was that i respected many of my teachers, we had a good teacher student relationship. The only teachers i had no respect for were the ones that would abuse their right. It showed how pathetic they are at solving a problem. I don't have time for these people.

I find discussing problems, etc, is more useful than physical abuse. If someone hit me, my reaction would be more one of anger (probably resulting in retaliation), than lesson learnt (plus i would think how truly weak they were to have to resort to force)

I am not one of Pavlov's dogs, i can reason and communicate, so why use force?

Every older generation likes to bitcch about the younger one. Back in the 60's the young were seen as a troublesome generation by the older people, etc.

Speaking of todays generation. I've found American influence to have affected the younger generation, it isn't just on a current affair and that.
Many mates have been jumped by gangs of people onto a few and got the ***** kicked out of them for there wallets. I saw a guy get stabbed to death and his mates face really messed up with a trolley pole (scenario: was at a servo next door to a hungry jacks, saw two guys hanging in the car park, 3 cars rocked up and people jumped out with a variety of weapons and attacked them, i didn't know what to do so i ran into servo and told the guy behind the counter to call cops, when the cops came i told my story) I've had to come to the rescue when my younger brother and his mate were walking down the street and a group of guys pulled knives on them saying they were gonna stab them, then chased them into a school (i drove and had a bat ready for defence) I've seen heaps of this sort of thing as i'm sure many on here have. It just shows how weak they are to use weapons in a fight. The good old fist fight i hear about from years ago is what we need. None of this gangs and weapons.

Everyone just respect each other.

(ohh and if your walking down the street and someone pulls a weapon on you, i believe there are no rules as the second they pull a weapon they are cheating so you can cheat, kick them in the nuts as HARD as you physically can or tear their hair out, pretty much just destroy them to teach them a lesson)

Anyone using weapons, your a weak piece of ****t!

kids strived to do better because they knew they would get better grades (sonethig that is non-existant these days)
No grades? What school? I didn't need physical punishment to get good grades

I find those that support physical abuse are those that are the culprit's. Either that are they aren't able to communicate with there kids or just lose control.

About two months ago, my mates old man got the hammer onto him, he ran out and jumped in my car, he threatened to smash my car window if i didn't unlock the door, so i unlocked it, he grabbed my mate and started swinging again. I couldn't believe it. Perfect example of uncontrollable rage. I bet he was hit as a kid.

Last edited:
Haha most of them are true... Except the smoking, well at our school anyways.... They just get to told to put them away... Its when people do drugs and alcohol at school that coppers a called.

Everyone is free to have their own view on it, that was just mine.
Back to the original post spilota variegata, that was gold!

There was never any murdering of older people for any menial reason then, schools weren't burned down or vandalised by the students and/or kids in the street, there was more purpose then, kids strived to do better because they knew they would get better grades (sonethig that is non-existant these days), which, in turn, led to striving to become better people, better, contributing, (not destroying) communities.

Then, there were CRIMINALS, not miscreants, HOUSE-BREAKERS AND BURGLARS, not "home invaders" and all the other silly phrases created to make people feel better about themselves. (Think about it, I don't have time to spell it ALL out for you.)

I repeat - show me the statistics to back this sensationalist rhetoric that you are parroting!

There is absolutely NO evidence to prove that violent crime levels are any higher than they were 40 years ago. Stop spouting tabloid rubbish and making vague generalisations, and check your facts.

And perhaps you should think about the fact that these children of the 60s who were smacked by their parents, are the same people who are, today, choosing not to hit their kids! What does that tell you about how effective the violence used against them was?

There was never any murdering of older people for any menial reason then, schools weren't burned down or vandalised by the students and/or kids in the street, there was more purpose then, kids strived to do better because they knew they would get better grades (sonethig that is non-existant these days), which, in turn, led to striving to become better people, better, contributing, (not destroying) communities.

I simply don't believe that this is true. Violent crime happens in every society, no matter how its children are raised. A great many children do very well at school these days - if they didn't, nobody would be enrolled law or medical degrees.

To say that my generation is "striving to destroy the community" simply isn't true - there are just as many altruistic people in the world now as there were fifty years ago, if not more due a far increased awareness of what goes on in the world. My generation has grown up with the Serbian war, the Israel-Palestine war, the Rwandan genocide and the Persian Gulf wars in the same way that yours grew up with Vietnam, Korea and Cambodia. We're the first generation to be widely aware of Western abuses of the third world and we're facing the result of the predictions of your generation's seventies environmentalists. I do not accept that my generation is more violent, more selfish or more apathetic than yours, and I hope given time, we'll affect just as profound a change in the world we live in.

Nicely put Kathryn! And there is actually a lot of evidence to suggest that Generation Z (kids up to about 10 years old today) will actually be the most socially conscious generation ever! They will be environmentally conscious, socially aware and concerned about global issues like poverty, world hunger and disease and economic inequalities.

And I don't have a single friend witha child that age who smacks them...

jessb- Your on the ball. Everything you've said is very valid.

I love it when people use opinion as fact, see one thing and generalize. Dipcdame- It appears you know more about the current generation than me, and i was their! Many if not all the statements you have made are false. You can't take a couple incidents and say all people are like that.
I could generalize about any generation making it look worse than all the others. There is heaps of variation between individuals in every generation. Being arrogant doesn't really help a discussion. It's probably not worth people putting their opinion in if they are basing it on a select few individuals (seeing kids mucking around on the train, etc) or nothing what so ever. These schooling claims are downright ridiculous, maybe you know kids who don't give a ****t about school or have no motivation, I'm not sure, because it doesn't make any sense. I went to Uni as did many people. If no ones going to Uni why is it a battle to get into your desired course and people on waiting lists hoping for someone to drop out. I would love to hear where your hard work at school and physical punishment has gotten you today? I'm not saying it won't get you far, there are many who have done well for themselves, but how it got you far?

To judge a whole generation, tells us a lot about yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back