Should Queensland go for Daylight Savings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Queensland adopt Daylight Savings

• Queensland should adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Queensland should NOT adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 69 53.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane's longest day: Sun rises 4:50am and sets 6:43pm

You've just made my point for me! How can an hour of daylight between 4:50am and 5:50am be of more use to the average person than an hour of daylight between 6:43pm and 7:43pm?

If it was up to me, Melbourne would have daylight saving for every month except the 3 winter months.

Please read what she said before whining about something that may not happen and won't affect you anyhow.

"Qlders have never had a say on daylight saving in SEQ only, a split time zone, maybe we should consider-what do you think?''

Premier Anna Bligh suggests daylight saving referendum via Twitter | Herald Sun

Proof please

Sorry - you're right - it was a 'split' time zone that we never decided on before hand... And yes, it won't affect me directly... But indirectly it will...

While we're on time zone differences - then why don't we have the long school holidays here in June/July and only 2 weeks in Christmas when it's the wet season and not much fun anyway!

As for whining - :) It's my god given right to dislike the possibility of Daylight Savings anywhere... I got a memo from god telling me this!

If we got the sun to rise at 5:50am instead of 4:50am then somewhere - somehow, someone must lose an hour of sleep... Or... they lose an hour in the night...

Your body doesn't just all of a sudden change and adjust - it's quite a shock for it... Eventually - after the clock has 'sprung' forward an hour you'll get used to it - maybe 3 months down the track... maybe more... Just in time for the clock to 'fall' back an hour....

Cows (for milking) won't accept the change - so farmers deliberately won't change their clocks...

It seems to me - that the hours between 4:50 - 6:50 is best suited for sleeping - not sunlight... and the hours between 6:43 and 7:43 are still LIGHT!!! Why make it light till 8:43 when 9 year olds should be in bed getting ready to get up an hour earlier...

I think you made the point for me NicG :)

Sorry - you're right - it was a 'split' time zone that we never decided on before hand... And yes, it won't affect me directly... But indirectly it will...
So you'll complain about DST in Tasmania too?
While we're on time zone differences - then why don't we have the long school holidays here in June/July and only 2 weeks in Christmas when it's the wet season and not much fun anyway!
This is a straw man argument - rabbiting on about some unrelated issue as if it is relevant

As for whining - :) It's my god given right to dislike the possibility of Daylight Savings anywhere... I got a memo from god telling me this!
This God person has a lot to answer for, she is constantly telling people to interfere in other people lives

If we got the sun to rise at 5:50am instead of 4:50am then somewhere - somehow, someone must lose an hour of sleep... Or... they lose an hour in the night...
Your not very good at maths are you. If you go to bed an hour "earlier" then you wake up an hour earlier. Amount of sleep lost - ZERO.
Your body doesn't just all of a sudden change and adjust - it's quite a shock for it... Eventually - after the clock has 'sprung' forward an hour you'll get used to it - maybe 3 months down the track... maybe more... Just in time for the clock to 'fall' back an hour....
Having lived through many a DST change I know that that is just not true. The first and second mornings are a bit difficult but thats it. Also it seems to me that the notion that we should keep the same timetable in summer as we do in winter is more than a bit idiotic. I know if we have DST it will be easier for me to get up at dawn to go herping and it would be easier for me to be at my herping grounds at dusk

Cows (for milking) won't accept the change - so farmers deliberately won't change their clocks...
so - the truck that picks up the milk is what is affected not the cows. Of course the southern farmers have been coping with it for years, obviously they are much smarter than their QLD breathern.

Last edited:
So you'll complain about DST in Tasmania too?

Coming from the land where Daylight Savings covers an entire country except one Northland town - I complain on the basis it affects me similar to the way it probably affects 1000s (if not millions) of people. While I won't attempt to make a change - I'm happy to voice my opinion on my soap box and for those who wish to listen may choose to do so or may choose to argue or may choose to ignore. The same things go for many of the world's peoples.... After all opinions are like bum holes... Everyone has one!

This is a straw man argument - rabbiting on about some unrelated issue as if it is relevant

To me it is relevant - as above. And it was probably a little more tongue in upper cheek than a real stab at reality - none the less - I'd LOVE to have 6 weeks holiday in June/July and not December January! That one stands and it is relevant - Time Zones..... T... I... M... E.... bahh.... You know!!!

This God person has a lot to answer for, she is constantly telling people to interfere in other people lives

Older than the oldest profession... And possibly even older than time itself!

Your not very good at maths are you. If you go to bed an hour "earlier" then you wake up an hour earlier. Amount of sleep lost - ZERO.

If you go to bed an hour earlier (say 10pm) and get up an hour earlier.... You've LOST an hour..... Ummmmm well DUH... You had to put your clock FORWARD!!!! Or did you do it gradually by the second over an entire decade? When you move your clock forward, you're apparently meant to do this at 2am making it 3am... Magically the HOUR disappears... My maths deserves a round of applause thank you very much... Hour LOST!

Having lived through many a DST change I know that that is just not true. The first and second mornings are a bit difficult but thats it. Also it seems to me that the notion that we should keep the same timetable in summer as we do in winter is more than a bit idiotic. I know if we have DST it will be easier for me to get up at dawn to go herping and it would be easier for me to be at my herping grounds at dusk

I also lived for my first 30 years of life in a DSTZ... I personally was affected severely - and hated it... Hence I moved to a NON DSTZ - and for good reason. I tell you now and I know for a fact, I am not the only person to be affected by this... And for me, it last weeks... Not just days... I don't know why - but I assume we're creatures of habbit and change does us no good!

so - the truck that picks up the milk is what is affected not the cows. Of course the southern farmers have been coping with it for years, obviously they are much smarter than their QLD breathern.
Come on, we wouldn't have registration plates that say "The Smart State" if we had DST!!!

Farmers for YEARS complain about the change.... So they don't change - it's simple (choice is a wonderful thing).

Well, votes - although not as high as anticipated - clearly state Queenslanders do NOT want DST!

I think that's enough of that :)

It seems to me - that the hours between 4:50 - 6:50 is best suited for sleeping - not sunlight... and the hours between 6:43 and 7:43 are still LIGHT!!! Why make it light till 8:43 when 9 year olds should be in bed getting ready to get up an hour earlier...

Most of what you're saying here is so illogical and/or contradictory to your original statement [sunrise at 4:50am, sunset at 6:43] that I can only assume that you're deliberately trying to wind me up. But just in case you're serious ...

- Yes, 4:50 to 5:50am is best suited for sleeping, so what's the point in it being daylight? In fact, it could be easily argued that it's counter-productive.

- 6:43 + 1hr = 7:43pm, which would be the new sunset time (on the longest day). This hour of light could be used all manner of after work outdoor activities (eg cricket-training), most of which burn more calories than those inspired by darkness (eg tv watching).

- Those of us that travel a lot for work (or any other reason) to the different timezones in Australia know that it only takes a couple of days at most to adjust to the new timezone.

The one thing that I will concede is that FNQ is quite different from SEQ. It's unfortunate that the state lines were formed in a mostly vertical fashion instead of horizontally.

Most of what you're saying here is so illogical and/or contradictory to your original statement [sunrise at 4:50am, sunset at 6:43] that I can only assume that you're deliberately trying to wind me up. But just in case you're serious ...

- Yes, 4:50 to 5:50am is best suited for sleeping, so what's the point in it being daylight? In fact, it could be easily argued that it's counter-productive.

- 6:43 + 1hr = 7:43pm, which would be the new sunset time (on the longest day). This hour of light could be used all manner of after work outdoor activities (eg cricket-training), most of which burn more calories than those inspired by darkness (eg tv watching).

- Those of us that travel a lot for work (or any other reason) to the different timezones in Australia know that it only takes a couple of days at most to adjust to the new timezone.

The one thing that I will concede is that FNQ is quite different from SEQ. It's unfortunate that the state lines were formed in a mostly vertical fashion instead of horizontally.

No - not a wind up :)

(I had written a real nice explanation below - but I timed out - sorry - not writing again).

It involved air conditioning, Earlier nights for kiddies and the wider use of daylight hours by the masses....

But the real suggestion comes from the votes above.... So far they're suggesting anti DST.

this is all a cover up so bannana benders dont have to count backwards

this is all a cover up so bannana benders dont have to count backwards

Not as bad as thinking you've not lost an hour... Hmmmmmm

"Spring Forward......"

"Fall Back....."

But then, I only live in Queensland :)

The Courier Mail is painting a different picture to APS - maybe a larger amount of votes - but to prove I am unbiased:

Would you support daylight saving in southeast Queensland?
Yes = 53.88% (2415 votes)
No = 46.12% (2067 votes)

But for:
Do you want a referendum on daylight saving for south-east Queensland?
Yes = 46.42% (5281 votes)
No = 53.58% (6095 votes)

So - daylight savings should come in but not be given the chance to be voted out in a referendum....

Intriguing....

Read it all here Daylight saving split-zone proposal divides Queensland | Courier Mail

Are Queenslanders still worried about:

1. Their curtains fading more
  2. Morning erections occurring later in the day
  3. The cows getting confused
Surely it is time the east coast got itself into alignment!

So - daylight savings should come in but not be given the chance to be voted out in a referendum....

Naturally. The general public (as a whole) are uninformed morons and are always scared of change. Rather than learning about an issue and making an informed decision, they choose the 'better the devil you know' viewpoint. This is best demonstrated by the fact that we couldn't even vote to make ourselves a republic!

Naturally. The general public (as a whole) are uninformed morons and are always scared of change. Rather than learning about an issue and making an informed decision, they choose the 'better the devil you know' viewpoint. This is best demonstrated by the fact that we couldn't even vote to make ourselves a republic!

Very valid point - but not all morons are ill-informed...

I was asking people about the earlier referendum on daylight savings - and they said the questions were so difficult to understand and in some cases were so irrelevant it was impossible to work out what exactly they were voting for....

When it comes to daylight savings - the advantages/disadvantages are not 'catastrophic' - but for the majority - they are a disturbance to everyday life - in one way or another - whether it be negative or positive.

I never knew there were 'deaths' associated with DST - and it was seen on TV!!! It must be true!

However, I physically did not enjoy DST.

If you read the news paper article I posted earlier - farmers do have issues in the non-DST zones.

So it's not all ill informed at all... It's people's 'feelings'.

If they don't want DST they - whether informed or not - can make their own judgements.

For somethings (I can go off topic here but i won't) - I agree - ill-information, a lack of research and poor decision making will mean referendums are useless - and what's best for the public should be just introduced.

But for DST - there is no best/worst - it's just an annoying (for many) pointless change that will have little to no benefits either way.

Referendum acceptable :)

Has anyone ever wondered why DST in it's original form (circa 1990 say) only had Australia in DST for (less than) 5 months of the year, yet we changed at the same time as the rest of the world? This means that the Northern Hemisphere, who run the world, got 7+ months of daylight savings. Do you think that they would implement anything that would disadvantage them? We only used to change at the same time because it was deemed easier to handle one 2 hour change (for international dealings), rather than staggered 1 hour changes.

In recent times, we've extended the finishing time to the end of March and Tasmania have been smart enough to include October now. But the US have also increased their DST by a further month, which apparently saves their economy billions by better utilizing the daylight hours. Admittedly, I think their major cost saving was heating, which is not as relevant here in Australia, but the lighting scenario is still significant.

There is no doubt that DST becomes less relevant, the further north you go in Australia. However, when you compare Brisbane to Melbourne, the sun rises earlier since they are further east, so this compensates for their northern location. As you continue to travel north to FNQ, the coastline veers to the west, thus making DST less of a necessity and more of a 'personal opinion'.

The question (should) then become: in the interests of the bulk of the QLD population, does FNQ get 'sacrificed' for the sake of keeping the state as one, or does this proposed split go through?

whats to say daylight savings isn't the correct time and we are running an hour fast all the time?

NicG - if there really is a huge saving in the most densely populated areas of Australia - then I am all for it...

Especially considering most of the electricity generated comes from coal fired power stations - so it'll have to be good for the environment - but... I'd like to see the stats there... Because lighting makes up only a tiny fraction of our electricity consumption and most houses are so poorly designed for light and heat that they'd require light on even if it was midday!!!

But - if there is a genuine saving and an overall gain for the environment I'd say GO FOR IT!

I somehow just can't see it in Australia.

I'd be pretty unhappy if the SEQ area got DST... But I wouldn't complain if more people voted it in than didn't.

If there really is an economical saving (and thus an environmental one) then it is poorly advertised and needs to be promoted.

Either way - I think if it went to referendum, it would not be voted in.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there. But we can hope.

Do you not find me agreeable? I'm so offended :cry:

Was it the comment about us losing the hour when we put our clocks forward? Because I can take it back if you want... it's all not true... We don't lose an hour... We gain a lifetime of gratitude :)

My opinion : I would rather sleep in the morning and go to bed later, then have to get up in the morning and go to bed earlier... That's what my vote is, no to daylight savings because I love my sleep!! Also, I stay up later some nights due to study.. And if I have to get up an hour earlier in the morning, then I do lose sleep!!! Simple. I love sleep. No daylight savings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back