Should Queensland go for Daylight Savings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Queensland adopt Daylight Savings

• Queensland should adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Queensland should NOT adopt Daylight Savings

Votes: 69 53.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion : I would rather sleep in the morning and go to bed later, then have to get up in the morning and go to bed earlier... That's what my vote is, no to daylight savings because I love my sleep!! Also, I stay up later some nights due to study.. And if I have to get up an hour earlier in the morning, then I do lose sleep!!! Simple. I love sleep. No daylight savings!

Just that first night - losing that 1 hour is enough... The first night clocks go forward at 2am to 3pm and magically the time fairies just take that hour away - you become instantly an hour older...

Time fairies come back in late March and give you back the hour....

I'm yet to see evidence of an advantage for DST that would suggest the requirement for SEQ to turn the clocks forward an hour.

Here's a list of countries that do NOT adopt DST in their zones (reasons unknown, but in some cases I'm not sure they even have clocks).

These countries or regions do not use daylight saving time (anymore):

* Algeria
* Angola
* Benin
* Botswana
* Burkina Faso
* Burundi
* Cameroon
* Cape Verde
* Central African Republic
* Chad
* Comoros
* Democratic Republic of Congo
* Djibouti
* Equatorial Guinea
* Eritrea
* Ethiopia
* Gabon
* Gambia
* Ghana
* Guinea
* Guinea-Bissau
* Ivory Coast
* Kenya
* Lesotho
* Liberia
* Libya
* Madagascar
* Malawi
* Mali
* Mauritania
* Mauritius
* Mayotte
* Namibia
* Niger
* Republic of the Congo
* Rwanda
* Saint Helena
* São Tomé and Príncipe
* Senegal
* Seychelles
* Sierra Leone
* South Africa
* Sudan
* Swaziland
* Tanzania
* Togo
* Tunisia
* Uganda
* Zambia
* Zimbabwe
* Colombia
* Guyana
* Peru
* Venezuela
* The following states of Brazil: Acre, Alagoas, Amapá, Amazonas, Bahia, Ceará, Maranhão, Pará, Paraíba, Pernambuco, Piauí, Rio Grande do Norte, Rondônia, Roraima, Sergipe, and Tocantins.
The People's Republic of China experimented with DST from 1986, but abandoned DST from 1992 onwards. The PRC now uses one time zone (UTC+8) for the whole country.
Iraq has not observed DST since 2008
Hong Kong used DST beginning in 1948, but abandoned it from 1980 onwards.
The Republic of India used Daylight Saving Time (DST) briefly during wartime. Currently, India does not observe DST.
The Council on Economic and Fiscal Policy is expected to propose that the Japanese government begin studying DST in an attempt to help combat global warming. The former Japanese PM Shinzo Abe made a significant effort to introduce daylight saving time, but was ultimately unsuccessful. However, it is not clear that DST would conserve energy in Japan. A 2007 simulation estimated that introducing DST to Japan would increase energy use in Osaka residences by 0.13%, with a 0.02% saving due to lighting more than outweighed by a 0.15% increase due to cooling costs; the simulation did not examine non-residential buildings.
Kazakhstan made a decision to stop observing DST in 2005, citing health complications as well as lowered productivity and a lack of economic benefits.
Kyrgyzstan voted to stop observing DST in 2005 and remain on UTC+6 as Standard Time (which used to be Kyrgyzstan Summer Time), thus still saving energy.
Malaysia used DST from January 1, 1933, but discontinued in December 31, 1981 to replace Malaysian Standard Time.
Pakistan cancelled DST.
* Afghanistan
* Bahrain
* Bhutan
* Brunei
* Cambodia
* China
* East Timor
* Georgia
* Hong Kong
* India
* Indonesia
* Iraq
* Japan
* Kazakhstan
* Kuwait
* Kyrgyzstan
* Laos
* Macau
* Maldives
* Malaysia
* Mongolia
* Myanmar
* Nepal
* North Korea
* Oman
* Papua New Guinea
* Philippines
* Qatar
* Saudi Arabia
* Singapore
* Taiwan
* Tajikistan
* Thailand
* Turkmenistan
* United Arab Emirates
* Uzbekistan
* Vietnam
* Yemen
South Korea does not currently use DST - but may implement it this year.
Iceland, observing UTC all year round despite being at a longitude which would indicate UTC-1, the country may be thought of as being on continuous DST. Iceland's high latitude means that sunset and sunrise times change by many hours over the year, and the effect of changing the clock by one hour would, in comparison, be small.
Hawaii has never observed daylight saving time under the Uniform Time Act, having opted out of the Act's provisions in 1967
The New Zealandic dependencies of Cook Islands, Tokelau and Niue do not maintain DST.
All U.S. insular territories with civilian government in Oceania, American Samoa, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands lie in the tropics, and do not observe DST.

The interesting one is Japan that cited using more energy during DST than the preferred less!

I was so busy copying the text, I never saw this picture!!!

800px-DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

If you haven't worked it out for yourselves:

Blue = DSTZ - current
Orange = Once was a DSTZ not now!!!
Red = Never had DST

I was so busy copying the text, I never saw this picture!!!

800px-DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

If you haven't worked it out for yourselves:

Blue = DSTZ - current
Orange = Once was a DSTZ not now!!!
Red = Never had DST

You've just shown me that most of the civilized world has daylight savings :)

Are you calling SA and TAS civilised??? You're kidding right?

It also shows you where the largest populations are, the strongest military is there is NO DST!

I still don't get the point you make Mr Red :)

New Zealand? :?

What are you saying!? Haha

I really don't care what happens, no daylight savings is good for the minority that start work at sunrise because of the number that's attached to it. Otherwise the majority of Qld'ers lose an hour of daylight.
I have grown up in an area where it get's dark at 9pm in summer, and it makes you feel as though there is more hours in the day. For those whinging that live in the tropics, it doesn't make a difference at all, it's hot 24/7 and an hour won't make a difference.
I really don't care what happens, I have experienced both sides of it, just so you know before you attack me.

Daylight savings is stupid really. All it does is throw everyone outa wack. So i personally want to vote to get rid of it in NSW and such places.
Good research there slim6y.

One hour extra darkness in the morning - they say typically isn't as busy as the one hour gained in the afternoon....

I'd contest that from personal experience - where it takes me 35 minutes to get to work and only 30 minutes to get home - on exactly the same roads but opposite direction.

However, there is some reality behind this discovery - as it has LONG been noted that more fatal crashes occur at the busiest times of the day... Which quite often happen to be dawn and dusk.

But the data appears unfair when I read several states were excluded from the study because they do NOT have DST... So where is the control???

Although not a bad thing, the data is quite old in the first paper - and should really be re-studied to include non daylight savings time states. Or perhaps should be conducted in Australia (if it hasn't already) - this is something that should be advertised should it be proved to be advantageous.

The power saving is so minute - but it is there! I think that's also an important one.

However one study you've shown here is in the USA - the other being in Japan shows the opposite.

So it's even at the moment.

Two good papers - but I am not convinced yet that DST would be an advantage for areas below the tropics of Australia.

But those two reasons - a saving in electricity and a lowering of the road toll would be enough for me to sway my opinion should there be good enough and recent enough data to prove the association.

I’d rather live in anyone of those Blue countries any day.. Looks like 3rd world countries don't do it at all.... Are we a third world country? It makes sense that the less educated people can't grasp the concept of daylight savings..

Just messing with ya... Wanted to throw some fuel on the fire....

But really you are either for or against and you cant make the other see reason... I love it. I get up at 5:20 everyday anyway. But to have an extra hour to windsurf or play outside is awesome. The only real argument against is that you want it to get darker quicker. No other argument agains makes sense at all. Tme is man made. We say that 12am is 12am. We must be the only species in the world who doesn't go by sun up to sundown.... Might as well be arguing if may should be called june IMO.
It's one hour or sixty minutes if you will... Big deal......

Last edited by a moderator:
Id rather live in anyone of those Blue countries anyday.. Looks like 3rd world countries don't do it at all.... Are we a third world country?

I didn't know that third world countries were based on time disparities in summer? I always thought it had something to do with quality of life and industry?

It's a one hour change twice a year,big deal.The excuses against it are a great laugh though.Body clock out of wack lol.

I guess no one in Qld does shiftwork or never stays up an hour or so later than usual because it would take them too long to get over it etc

I didn't know that third world countries were based on time disparities in summer? I always thought it had something to do with quality of life and industry?
I was merely stating the obvious.. that most thrid world countries are non daylaight savings countries. Never mentioned that they were 3rd world because they do that!? Are you from a third world country LOL
The green are considered third world on google.... However this does show a correlation between education and daylight savings.

it's a one hour change twice a year,big deal.the excuses against it are a great laugh though.body clock out of wack lol.

I guess no one in qld does shiftwork or never stays up an hour or so later than usual because it would take them too long to get over it etc

agree!!!!!!!!!

"Sleep experts and the research they cite does indeed point to certain dangers. On average, it's estimated that people go to work or school on the first Monday of Daylight Saving after sleeping 40 fewer minutes than normal. And recent studies have found there's a higher risk of heart attacks, traffic accidents and workplace injuries on the first Monday of Daylight Saving. It's hard to find any aspect of health untouched by sleep, says Ronald D. Chervin, M.D., a professor of neurology at the University of Michigan and director of U-M's Sleep Disorders Center, in a recent press release. The brain of a person who does not get enough sleep--in quality and in quantity--is unable to operate efficiently. Health, emotions, memory and more are affected. It's enough to make you want to go to bed early, isn't it?"

So to verify in two articles:

"A recent study found that incidences of heart attacks increased significantly for the first three week days after the transition to daylight saving time in the spring. In contrast, there were fewer incidences of heart attacks after the transition from daylight saving to standard time in the autumn. The study found that the most plausible explanation for the findings is the adverse effect of sleep deprivation on cardiovascular health.

Moreover, the study reported that transitions into daylight saving time could disrupt chronobiologic rhythms and influence the duration and quality of sleep, which lasts for many days after the shifts. According to the researchers, the study also provides a possible explanation for heart attacks most commonly occurring on Mondays. This study, titled Shifts to and from Daylight Saving Time and Incidence of Myocardial Infarction, was conducted by Imre Janszky and Rickard Ljungand and was published in The New England Journal of Medicine on October 30, 2008."

So body clock or none.... This is a true and serious issue.

They also say that shift workers are far more prone to cancers and heart attacks because of their unusual working hours.... So toughing it out is 'ok'.... But in reality we're a diurnal creature that has extended their night time by the use of electric lighting - another thing that has apparently recently been indicated in cancers!

LOL but we're talking about 60 minutes aren't we? my sleep varies more than an hour all the time. Especially if I watch a movie or something. ........ I love how passionate people are though... Wait a sec while I go grab some more wood....

This reinforced my stance on no daylight savings....

But - as with ANY 'issue' environmental or not... there's always positives and negatives - for me the negatives outweigh the positives and thus should also be included in the studies that Fuscus put forward earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back