Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice snakes everyone, some true crackers amongst them. Barra's white male is a ripper but let's not get true genetic axanthics confused with nice black/grey/white snakes.

Cheers

So in your opinion this cant be an axanthic????

BTW I am not saying that it is, but it is as White and Black as any of our snakes get........

Last edited:
Barra has like.. Some subliminal marketing going on or something =p.. I read the posts and just seem to hear in my head "...... CARAMEL!...... CARAMEL!......WHITE!.....".

ohhh the future for RPM/JAGs in australia is looking really really good :)... i just wish i had one :(

Correct Barra, it is not an axanthic. Just as Julattens are not, nor are Murray Darlings. They may be very grey/black/white in appearence but they are not a genetic axanthic. These are a proven recessive trait that originated in Europe. It is believed some promising looking coastals have been hatched here in Australia but these are yet to be proven out. Axanthics are no different to albinos in their mode of inheritence. Recessive morph with non-visual hets. The odds of that particular white Jag male being axanthic are roughly the same as hatching a spontanious albino. Never the less it's a great looking snake.*

Just on Codered's previous comments on the caramels, the overseas line has this year been proven co-dom with a visual super form. Although they do look similar to the plain caramels and as individual hatchling variation does play a factor the bigger breeders have prefered to not label them "supers" until they were proven so by breeding to a wildtype and producing all caramel offspring. The domestic line founded by Stone has so far shown similar modes of inheritence. The notion that either line are a dominant mutation is wrong.

Cheers * * *

Here are some photos of alleged Axanthics out of a collection in Germany.
You decide what these axanthics look like? Wich ones are inland, wich ones are coastal and wich ones are Axanthic?

axa2seite.jpg

thumb_axa3seite.jpg

whitetab.jpg

axanthicjag1.jpg

AxaM1.jpg

66HF3.jpg

66HF2.jpg

66HF1.jpg

Last edited:
Correct Barra, it is not an axanthic. Just as Julattens are not, nor are Murray Darlings. They may be very grey/black/white in appearence but they are not a genetic axanthic. These are a proven recessive trait that originated in Europe. It is believed some promising looking coastals have been hatched here in Australia but these are yet to be proven out. Axanthics are no different to albinos in their mode of inheritence. Recessive morph with non-visual hets. The odds of that particular white Jag male being axanthic are roughly the same as hatching a spontanious albino. Never the less it's a great looking snake.*

Just on Codered's previous comments on the caramels, the overseas line has this year been proven co-dom with a visual super form. Although they do look similar to the plain caramels and as individual hatchling variation does play a factor the bigger breeders have prefered to not label them "supers" until they were proven so by breeding to a wildtype and producing all caramel offspring. The domestic line founded by Stone has so far shown similar modes of inheritence. The notion that either line are a dominant mutation is wrong.

Cheers * * *

Hey Kenno ;)

What you state is exactly why they should be labeled as dominant not co-dominant. If you cant separate the homozygous and heterozygous forms visually then they are by definition dominant. There are cases where the best lookers from a clutch of caramel x caramel have proved to be homozygous (through breeding tests) but it is by no means definitive. That's why its best to play it safe until more have been breed. Hopefully in time someone will find a visual cue that allows the homozygous and heterozygous forms to be separated and only then can it be called co-dom.

Im with Codered on the Caramels.... the term "super" lends itself to there being a homozygous co-dominant phenotype that is different to the het. From what I have read from Paul, he had a hunch that his was homo, but couldnt varify until breeding.

Here you are Barra. Cracking animal.

Thanks both to Barra and No-two for posting up a larger version of the white jag....

WOW...what a pearler!!!!!

After I managed to peel my eyes away from that white stallion, I read on about the axanthic debate, I don't wish to get involved to deeply as my knowledge on these guys are very limited, but one thing I would like cleared up....is it correct in saying that true axantrics obtain only silver eyes?

Thanks again guys, this thread just keeps getting better.

is it correct in saying that true axantrics obtain only silver eyes?

Not necessarily, axanthic means lacking yellow, though the iridophores are still able to help produce diluted browns and such, the international axanthic carpets show browning with age.... on a side note, even if sliver eyes was an indicator, it wouldnt help in determining an axanthic Jag, as a characteristic of a Jag is silver eyes, which is also commonly used in Europe and America to tell low rate Jags from siblings, obviously when other markers arent as distinct.

Cheers * * *

cheers BIG MAAAANNN

No I havnt tried yet, but I will. My only females big enough to breed are the 50% Jungles and I am more interested in getting 75% out first. I will probably have a crack next season......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back