Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
at first i thought this darwin het was going to turn out as a hypo as it was losing black with each shed but it has stayed grey in colour so i'm starting to think i may have a axanthic darwin on my hands but i'm not sure as yet.we'll see what the future brings and may produce some interesting bubs when the albino father goes back over her.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• RD0911b.jpg
    RD0911b.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 156
  • RD0911c.jpg
    RD0911c.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 142
  • RD0911d.jpg
    RD0911d.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 123
100% pure coastal.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 99.jpg
    99.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 304
at first i thought this darwin het was going to turn out as a hypo as it was losing black with each shed but it has stayed grey in colour so i'm starting to think i may have a axanthic darwin on my hands but i'm not sure as yet.we'll see what the future brings and may produce some interesting bubs when the albino father goes back over her.
cheers
simon

wish i could take him off your hands! im sure he would fit in well her.

Thats a crazy looking Darwin you have there Simon. Interesting to see if it holds the same colouration.

I would love to see a photo.
This one came from very 'normal' looking parents but they produced a couple of oddities each season apparently.
Will get onto getting a picture of the adult.

So if I've followed this correctly, would this fella be 'considered' Axanthic, but would need to be proven through breeding?

Cheers,
Allan
PICT2060.jpg

wish i could take him off your hands! im sure he would fit in well her.

i had her on display at the goldcoast expo and had plenty of interest as well .i definatly wont be parting with her but the parents were put together again to see if another will be produced.if i do get another one and its a male,it will be kept but if it produces another female i will happily move it on.
cheers
simon

Some really nice carpet pythons guys,
I thought this was a Co dom morph thread ?
As far as i know axanthics are recessive , but need to be proven here in oz ?
A bit of work to be done yet on axanthics .

Hey Rob are you saying your hypos are Co Dom and or reduced pattern ?
What are the clutch ratios when you out cross a hypo to non related ?
Are half the offspring Hypos ?
Or are all your hypo breedings Hypo to Hypo ?

Threads like this are great but diverting into other possible modes or inheritance or morphs that are not Co dom will only confuse the less educated about Co Dom traits .

Perhaps a thread tittled Suspected Axanthic Genetics could be started and everyone post there photos and breeding results and stay on topic and could be a good reference for Axanthic genetics .

Same applies to people with Hypos .
I believe with hypo coastals there is a lot of variation in the amount of melanin inherited and also how the mode of inheritance is passed on which also affects the brightness and colours of coastals.

cheers
Roger

Rodger, i only breed hypos with hypos these days, but earlier on when i mated hypos with normals, in a clutch you would get normals, hypos and a few weird looking critters that were sort of a mix of both so i presume that would make it a co dom trait.?

Some really nice carpet pythons guys,
I thought this was a Co dom morph thread ?
As far as i know axanthics are recessive , but need to be proven here in oz ?
A bit of work to be done yet on axanthics .

Hey Rob are you saying your hypos are Co Dom and or reduced pattern ?
What are the clutch ratios when you out cross a hypo to non related ?
Are half the offspring Hypos ?
Or are all your hypo breedings Hypo to Hypo ?

Threads like this are great but diverting into other possible modes or inheritance or morphs that are not Co dom will only confuse the less educated about Co Dom traits .

Perhaps a thread tittled Suspected Axanthic Genetics could be started and everyone post there photos and breeding results and stay on topic and could be a good reference for Axanthic genetics .

Same applies to people with Hypos .
I believe with hypo coastals there is a lot of variation in the amount of melanin inherited and also how the mode of inheritance is passed on which also affects the brightness and colours of coastals.

cheers
Roger

i'm the first to admit mt pair of adult hypo coastals are just average hypos but i have found breeding them the last 2 seasons that about a quarter end up with less melenin than the parents,about a quarter with more and the rest turn out like the parents. they have had alot of variation in the skin pigmentation with some being very light tan,others being dark tan and that one odd one that came out orange.but it will be the last time i breed these two together,i'll see how the holdbacks colour up and try mating them in a few years time.
cheers
simon

cheers
simon

Slimbo - Nice looking snake , but mate their is nothing grey about that animal.

Greg Maxwell had this to say on a similar matter, "while parents having a desired trait may possess a better chance at producing offspring with that same trait, only a percentage of the offspring will show varying degrees of that trait. Some bloodlines are definitely more potent than others, and only from seeing past results can you make an intelligent assessment about a particular animal's potential for throwing like offspring. I would never pay outrageous prices for unchanged babies based solely on the appearance of a parent with no proven past results."

So it could be that the "hypo" gene varies from blood line to blood line.
Hope this help's!

So if I've followed this correctly, would this fella be 'considered' Axanthic, but would need to be proven through breeding?

Cheers,
Allan
View attachment 159397

very interesting looking snake. It definetely has the visual characteristics of an axanthic especially the way the greyish patterned areas are outlined in black

very interesting looking snake. It definetely has the visual characteristics of an axanthic especially the way the greyish patterned areas are outlined in black

what would you call this one steve? greyish areas are outlined in black with a half decent white..
attachment.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back