Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think an outcome thread would be great barra even if it is a year away.

I was just reading an article by the person to first breed a Jag, it states the only hatchling not to survive
were the leucistic morph who all either died in the egg or a few hours from hatching. The breeder did report
further Jag morphs arising from this breeding....... exciting times ahead~!

Yes that article is a good read.

Just straight out Axanthic to Albino Darwins make for an interesting combo down the track with the potential for SNOW and things like that.

Here are some photos of alleged Axanthics out of a collection in Germany.
You decide what these axanthics look like? Wich ones are inland, wich ones are coastal and wich ones are Axanthic?

Ill give it a crack at your little guessing game,
the first two are EU line axanthics.
Third photo is Barramundi’s notorious WHITE male
Fourth photo is an Axanthic jag
Fifth pic is a normal Axanthic coastal
Then the last three photo’s are carpet crosses of some type.
Axanthics are not named as such because they have less yellow/red pigments than any other carpet variety, heck some Julattens are the best example of an all grey snake I’ve seen. However when outcrossed these subspecies’ colour traits are not passed on in any type of consistent manner. They tend to look like exactly what they are, mixed locality carpets, unlike the true Axanthics that pass on their genetics via recessive inheritance.
True genetic Axanthics have non-visual hets and can be combined with other morphs to produce definite outcomes, the mixed crosses do not. By definition a Snow is a visual Axanthic and Albino represented in one animal. You may be able to cross Julattens, Murrays and Diamonds into pure albino stock to create darker or greyer than average hets in the hope they will produce somewhat “whiter” albino’s but the look of this animal will be very difficult to pass on genetically. Given the natural variation in Darwins already it seems like a very pointless and long undertaking, why not just buy a high white pure Darwin albino to start with?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
The first two are axanthic and those last hatchling pictures are actually axanthics! They will only know for sure that those animals are true axanthics when they put them over albinos. See what i mean Kenno? There js no conclusive proof that those snakes are axanthic. They could just be really dark coastals.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my males. He just had a shed.

001-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Cant wait to see what we can produce in the future.

Cameron

I can't get over this one...

these are awsome!!!!! well ive focused on the wrong lines for a year or 2 now lol

Axanthic means there is a complete lack of visible xanthophores ( No yellow pigment at all) not reduced yellow. It is recessive. Alot of sites have so called proven Axanthic jungles but in they're statements to prove it they state that they are just reduced yellow which is not axanthic. There is an australian company selling hypo coastals as caramels for $200 each as they state that caramels are just another name for hypos (not the co-dominate morph). So be wary of where your buying these so called morphs from as you may be working with a line based on genetics that arnt there.

Spot on Gunny, it doesnt 100% mean anything until its proven out. But that still doesnt mean that these potentially aren't AXANTHICS.....

As Kenno said, we cant really claim any true AXANTHICS until someone does the hard work on their MD'S, COASTALS or any other carpets that show similar characteristics. In the mean time they are Black and White carpets, once/if proven successfully then they are AXANTHIC carpets......

Yeah i wasnt having a go at yours or any of the photos put up they may well be axanthic but like you say they have to be proven.

Hi guys & girls,
Very nice snakes being produced & brought out of the closets now. I really think that this is where the future lies for the reptile trade in Australia.
I have had the opportunity to buy RPM coastals in the recent past but passed it up as we did not have a lazy 2 to 3 grand to buy,more is the pitty.
I love the reduced or changed colors/patterns that people are breeding today. My concentration more recently has been towards BHP'S which can also cost a lot of money to get into different color forms.
What I hope dosn't happen, is that breeders get carried away with colors & patterns & forget the size & reproduction of the animals.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for experimenting,I am doing that now with my line of hypo coastals & would love to have a nice RPM to cross over them,
but let us do it responsibly.
Minka & Camo very nice snakes, if you have some for sale eventualy please let me know.

Hot looking RPM everyone .
Camo thats one extreemly nice RPM .
I can now see the tip of the morph iceburg and i like what i see .
cheers
Roger

My honest feeling is that this snake is a true axanthic, of course that has to be proven but I am hopeful.
DSC_0435_resize.jpg

Spot on Gunny, it doesnt 100% mean anything until its proven out. But that still doesnt mean that these potentially aren't AXANTHICS.....

As Kenno said, we cant really claim any true AXANTHICS until someone does the hard work on their MD'S, COASTALS or any other carpets that show similar characteristics. In the mean time they are Black and White carpets, once/if proven successfully then they are AXANTHIC carpets......

Looks great Boa. I have a similar juvenile that has the same colouration as came from an adult Axanthic looking very similar to yours.

Of course it is not proven yet but there is always hope.

I would love to see a photo.
This one came from very 'normal' looking parents but they produced a couple of oddities each season apparently.

Ash, you know I have always been partial to that little guy, seems like it has coloured up well with age.

Cheers

LOL. Yes he has coloured up well and is still showing very little colour, just what I think of as a light wash of yellowish brown across it's back.

Ash, you know I have always been partial to that little guy, seems like it has coloured up well with age.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back