Skulls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heaps that i have collected over the years, got a buzz watching that ned kelly movie with heath ledger, the bankers wife had a collection in a huge bowl. Finally got to convince my wife i wasn't the only one.

Wow elapid@, I draw, but i sure dont have that sort of patience!!

Anyone clean fresh skulls or just find already clean ones, what do you use?
Id reckon a collection of flesh eating beatles would be a great part of the skull collection hobby.
Best way to find fresh skulls is find a nice beach close to the usual animal watering hole (aka pub) Dig a pit fall trap, sit a kebab ontop for bait and sit in your black van and wait for the magic hour usually when the watering hole closes and the great beasts roam the beaches in search of munchies and a place to sleep :D Great times.........what just me.

Id reckon a collection of flesh eating beatles would be a great part of the skull collection hobby.
Best way to find fresh skulls is find a nice beach close to the usual animal watering hole (aka pub) Dig a pit fall trap, sit a kebab ontop for bait and sit in your black van and wait for the magic hour usually when the watering hole closes and the great beasts roam the beaches in search of munchies and a place to sleep :D Great times.........what just me.

Hahaha "kebab's" you've done this before!

o.k guys i tell you a little story. i have been collecting skulls ect for 15 years . best way to do it is if you are going to do it make sure you get non CITES listed skulls to make things easy . and if you want to get stuff that is CITES listed make sure you apply for the right permits from australia try the department of inviroment and heratage for starters .. also make sure the seller in say south africa has theres also . big fines if not or you can just loss your stuff at the border . in australia even things like roo skulls are protected but you can apply for a permit costs about $20 per skull ..

skull cleaning .. there is 3 main ways to get them clean simmer with baking soda , beetle clean , or maceration leave in water for 2 months . then you got to degress the skull i just soak in dawn washing liquid for a week or so . then to whitten . go to the hair dresser and get some peroxide paste .

p.s im not dumb i just cant write properly :lol::lol:;)

70 year old croc skull , camals ,pigs , audad ,domestic dogs ect

Attachments

• DSCF4075.jpg
    DSCF4075.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCF4076.jpg
    DSCF4076.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF4078.jpg
    DSCF4078.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF4082.jpg
    DSCF4082.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF4081.jpg
    DSCF4081.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 205
Antaresia1 - I'm so jealous!!!!
Here are a few of mine left at home. I've got lots of nice marsupials at school that I use for teaching. Sorry about photo quality - not a great camera or photographer.

Bourke's parrot (deceased pet)
Bourkeparrot.jpg

Fruit bat
BatL.jpg

squirrel monkey
SaimiriA.jpg
SaimiriL.jpg

Guinea pig and rabbit (both juvenile)
CavyRabbit.jpg

Gull (lucky find on the beach)
Gull.jpg

Hummingbird full skeleton - very blurry, but shows the impressive size of the keel for flight muscles
Hummingbird.jpg

All 3 birds for size comparison
Birds.jpg

UNREAL python mum, i really dig chicks that are into this stuff :Dare you like a science teacher ???

I used Dermestid beetles for cleaning all of my collection, they are easy to find in the bush - find a dead animal and they will be under the corpse. Always wear a face mask when cleaning out the dermestid tank, as frass is very irritating to the eyes and skin.

I posted a thread not long ago playing 'Guess the skull',

This was my only one until Bearus got to it...then it ended up in 5 chewed up pieces...

24vps2h.jpg

UNREAL python mum, i really dig chicks that are into this stuff :Dare you like a science teacher ???
Yes, I'm a science teacher. I keep skulls on my shelf and a MD in my classroom. Nice to have a career where your hobbies are useful. Kids love my snake lessons. I also do a great comparative limb anatomy lesson using a bunch of skeletons and my little dog to show how to compare human limbs to a more 'normal' mammal and demonstrate normal mammalian limb position. All great fun, which makes the learning effortless.

PS - Rainbow Serpent - that looks like what's left of a ringtail possum skull. Not too bad.

Last edited:
I just buried a baby bearded, could of had some, budgie's too. My mum wasnt happy when i suggested donatating the baby bearded to the school's science department haha

Re: Dermestid beetels

70 year old croc skull , camals ,pigs , audad ,domestic dogs ect

I am looking to buy some dermestid beetels but cant get it from anywhere can you be able to sell me few 100's please that will be very helpfull for my snake skeletal processes. please mail me on [email protected] or please call 0434019026 please i wil pay u straight. please consider this.

Some of mine! All legally imported from the US. Be prepared to spend the money if you want to get CITES skulls in legally though (or pelts, getting a huge timber wolf soon, costing over $600 just in fee's and paperwork. Don't start about animal rights though, this guy was taken for population control and was humanely culled. I love wolves, and regularly donate hundreds of dollars to conservation efforts.

Attachments

• P1040032-3.jpg
    P1040032-3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 129
  • P1050521.jpg
    P1050521.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 125
  • P1050540-2.jpg
    P1050540-2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 136
  • P1050543.jpg
    P1050543.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 128
  • P1060684.JPG
    P1060684.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 137
  • P1060912.JPG
    P1060912.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Wolf.jpg
    Wolf.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
are you gunna eat all thous? or will you share them?
can i get mine on a sandwich?

Nothing like crumbed lamb brains, deep fried with a cheese sauce ;)
My dad used to make them like a pro. Nobody would stay in the house while we cooked and ate them. Rare treat though these days.
Edit: Love those skins... sorry pelts! :shock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back