Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe i'm standing up for sdaji here, however it wasn't the venom that got him it was an illergic reaction (correct me if i'm wrong here) to the venom so a bite is a bite doesn't matter what it is from.

Yes, that's right. If 99.99% of people took as much venom as I had they'd have nothing more severe than a bit of an itchy, stinging end of their middle finger. I wouldn't have taken the same risk with anything other than a tiny little baby. As gillsy says, and as I pointed out in many interviews last month, the type of reaction I had (anaphylaxis) was the same thing many people get from peanuts. Potentially you can get anaphylaxis from anything at all.

Since I've said that tiny baby Death Adders aren't too dangerous (allergic reactions aside), I should say that Death Adders are extremely dangerous snakes. I don't know why anyone is suggesting that they're not all that venomous. Many people consider them to be the fifth deadliest in the world (behind Tigers, Coastal Taipans, Eastern Browns and Inland Taipans, in that order). That may not be perfectly accurate, but they're certainly up there with the deadliest.

Haha, no, certainly not! I'll most certainly be carrying an epipen though, as every good field herper should! I'm sure no one will bother though. I know I thought it was silly when I was out with other people who carried them until I'd landed in a situation where I needed one!

Chasing Tigers sounds like lots of fun :)

I always have to laugh at LD50 values for the potency of venom....testing is typically on mice....how many beaked sea snakes eat mice? Venom is designed to assist in the immobilization and killing of prey items, so it is prey specific, yes other organisms are affected by it but as it is not the intended prey item, the effects will vary....and the statement deadly implies the number of human fatalities.....with an average of only 2 snake bite deaths in Australia each year this would imply that we do not have many deadly snakes....perhaps some of the most potent venom in the world but not the deadliest.

i think i lean towards shane on this one.........................mmmmmmmmmmm you compare the death adder with the likes of taipan...........if you had said something like white crowned or even yellow whip (fair enough, these snakes are not to much of a bother to be bitten by ) ,,,,,,,,,but dont under estimate a adder bite for goodness sake.........

Never underestimate any of the venomous bites, some people have allergic reactions, or complications due to medication they are currently on.....

more people have been known to be allergic to the anti- ven,because of the horse product.,bad thing is you wont know that untill it happens to you .............(is praying her time if ever she wont be allergic to the horsy stuff:))

more people have been known to be allergic to the anti- ven,because of the horse product.,bad thing is you wont know that untill it happens to you .............(is praying her time if ever she wont be allergic to the horsy stuff:))

Much better being allergic to the anti-venom then the venom itself.:)

mmmmmmmmm thats a hard one I just hope I never get tagged to be put in that predicament................but as a catcher i play with fire ,and as the saying goes PLAY WITH FIRE ONE DAY YOU WILL GET BURNT..heres hoping I only get a blister...:)

I always have to laugh at LD50 values for the potency of venom....testing is typically on mice....how many beaked sea snakes eat mice? Venom is designed to assist in the immobilization and killing of prey items, so it is prey specific, yes other organisms are affected by it but as it is not the intended prey item, the effects will vary....and the statement deadly implies the number of human fatalities.....with an average of only 2 snake bite deaths in Australia each year this would imply that we do not have many deadly snakes....perhaps some of the most potent venom in the world but not the deadliest.

We have low death rates due to our healthy system, and how we respond to bites.

True adder bites in Africa kill 1000's every year, but not because they're even in the top 10 but because the have no access to medical help and I would even say have no idea bout first aid.

We defiantly have some of the most venomous snakes in the world, however as you have stated....we have a low death rate...also read the comments on venomdoc about LD 50 values and their reliability....if we want to look at what the venom potency is like then that is much more relevant.

The venom toxicity, the venom yield, the injection equipment and the readiness of the snake to bite are all relevant when assessing how dangerous a snake is. However the reluctance of the reptile keeper to respect any or all of these points is what makes for a dangerous situation. What i am basically saying is that if you choose to keep elapids in your collection or if , as i am, you are involved wild reptile capture and release/relocation work, be well aware of the risks involved and make every effort to look after yourself and the animal. A point that was made very early in this thread was that, the last thing venomous snakes and snakes in general need is anymore bad publicity. I am sure we here all love our reptillian mates and it is up to us to help dispell the massive amount of ignorance and uncertainty that surrounds these wonderful critters.

Its pretty easy to find out and I usually urge people who have allergies to other things to find out first before moving in rescue and relocation.

ERRRRRRRM .........if you obtain a permit to keep vens or have a damage mit permit then YOU SHOULD know the risks and be able to take every precaution known when handling vens, what alot of non ven keepers think is ridiculous.......we dont do it to get bitten we are not thrill seekers and certainly do not go in blind when either catching or keeping vens ,we are aware that they can kill us.....BUT its our own interests and pashion that keeps us doing it and we dont need some halfwit commenting on a subject that they know nothing about .......if keeping vens are not your idea of a hobby thats your choice ,but dont make stupid comments about us that do ......as I have seen more stupidity done with pythons then any other snake .you would never get a elapid keeper asking HAS ANYBODY BEEN BITTEN ON THE EYEBALL....... think before you make a statement especially if you have not got a clue what your talking about.......

ERRRRRRRM .........if you obtain a permit to keep vens or have a damage mit permit then YOU SHOULD know the risks and be able to take every precaution known when handling vens, what alot of non ven keepers think is ridiculous.......we dont do it to get bitten we are not thrill seekers and certainly do not go in blind when either catching or keeping vens ,we are aware that they can kill us.....BUT its our own interests and pashion that keeps us doing it and we dont need some halfwit commenting on a subject that they know nothing about .......if keeping vens are not your idea of a hobby thats your choice ,but dont make stupid comments about us that do ......as I have seen more stupidity done with pythons then any other snake .you would never get a elapid keeper asking HAS ANYBODY BEEN BITTEN ON THE EYEBALL....... think before you make a statement especially if you have not got a clue what your talking about.......

My sediments exactly :D

I hope that wasnt aimed at my statement dude, if you are keeping dangerously venomous snakes and you get bitten then you are doing something wrong, you dont have to be an intellectual to understand that.

I deal with venomous snakes everyday of my life and i dont think that you should pass me off as somebody that doesnt know what he is doing or talking about.

FACT: If you keep venomous snakes and you get bitten you are doing something WRONG!!!!

WELL!
I just hope the mystery man (or woman) is ok.
For the people having a go at Mystery Snake Bite Person for being careless, or keeping vens without knowing what they're doing, If you read the post, it was a snake HANDLER, which could mean anything from breeder to the rescue guy. If a rescue dude had to remove an irate death adder from an awkward place, i'd assume that there is the risk that he/she is going to get bitten, no matter how safe and professional they acted.

I'm not an expert on handling vens (or an expert at anything really ;)), but safety precautions for anything are risk minimisation techniques, they do not make you bulletproof and invincible, they just reduce your liklihood of getting shot ;).

So IMO it's innocent until proven guilty; he/she might have been doing everything right and just got bad luck.

I think the real message we should be taking from this, is that first aid works if the worst case scenario plays out, and is an important tool in keeping you alive. We should all know what to do in the event of a snake bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back