Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firedragon

Reaction score
i have our spotteds' tank in the lounge room, our cat also hangs out here. I''ve herd snakes have a natural fear of cats and though i put the cat out when i get the snake out, does the scent of the cat stress the snake. I've also herd snakes and cats can get on ok (snake probably thinking mmmmm can't wait till i'm big enough to eat that). One of my friends told me her brothers cat used to sit with him while he was holding their snake and never had any problems. We do have one room in the house the cat is not allowed to go which is where we have our coastal & bredli should i put our spottie in there too:?..

the simple answer is no. As long as you take precautions so that the cat never crosses paths with the snake they will live in harmony. They will breed uninterrupted as well.
You are doing the right thing putting the cat away when you have the snake out, never take the chance! Yes the snake can smell the cat, but it isn't recognisable as a food source so it is just another smell.

i think it depends on the snake, my spotted doesnt seem to care about my cats, but my jungle gets freaked by them (although it gets freaked pretty easily).

cats are evil they will kill anything!!! i hate them lol...

I've got 2 cats one is frighted of the snakes exspecially the big ones lol but the other thinks he is invincable I don't think the snakes care too much about thr cats but I always keep a look out for the cats around the enclosures, my young male cat will try to attack them through the enclosure though. the cats should be let outside when the snake are out anyway, I'd say if my big ones ever got the chance there would be no more cat. and I can't afford the vet bill if the cat gets to my BHP's.
there both natrual prediters just keep your eye out.

I used to have a cat, and the only thing is when i was handling my stimsons, it swatted at its tail which was hanging down once, but i never made that mistake again. Although, be careful if your cat likes mice and it can reach the enclosure.

Or if your cat is really dumb like ours was, dont leave a really light(in weight) stool in front of the tank, as my cat was on one watching our fish, and jumped, pushed the stool about a metre back and crashed into the glass of the tank, and then fell about a metre to the ground. But we had a rather clumsy cat and no it never lands on its feet.

Oh and yes i agree with reece, i dislike cats, mostly because my nana breeads them and has about 30 pursians which are mostly as dumb as ours was. The only use for a cat is watching it get hurt. :)

I would never trust a cat with a snake. Cats by nature are killers, no matter how placid "fluffy" seems. I've seen a pet cat of mine pounce on a pet Cunningham's skink and kill it instantly. When I picked the lizard up, the only injury I saw was one neat hole directly through the skull. I'm sure a fair sized cat would give any snake a run for its money - alright almost any snake - and definitely any Australian snake up to about 6 or 7 feet long.

Don't take the risk of mixing snakes and cats...

Dont get me wrong i love cats but they will be sitting there all calm and placid and the second you let your guard down they pounce and they will sink in teeth and claws and wont let go!

my cat looks through the secruity screen at my snake enclosure and the look is curiosity and when i know what it is i will probably eat it. cheers debbie:lol:

Oh and yes i agree with reece, i dislike cats, mostly because my nana breeads them and has about 30 pursians which are mostly as dumb as ours was. The only use for a cat is watching it get hurt. :)

Is she the one on the Simpsons that throws them at people?:) (jokes)

My carpet python ( 2 m long) likes to keep a close eye on the cats through the glass - one way of giving her more exercise I guess - The cats seem oblivious - luckily for them

cats and snakes

I would never trust a cat with a snake. Cats by nature are killers, no matter how placid "fluffy" seems. I've seen a pet cat of mine pounce on a pet Cunningham's skink and kill it instantly. When I picked the lizard up, the only injury I saw was one neat hole directly through the skull. I'm sure a fair sized cat would give any snake a run for its money - alright almost any snake - and definitely any Australian snake up to about 6 or 7 feet long.

Don't take the risk of mixing snakes and cats...

we have two snakes (juvies) and each lives in a different room, daughter has hers in her bedroom and mine is in the office. we also have 7 yes 7 cats and so far it has been good. I hold my coastal in the office and my smallest cat is usually asleer on the monitor but if any others come into the room I am wary of them. They are curious and sit to watch Tara when she is dangling off her vine or whatever but if I;m no thome the room is closed off as it is every night when I go to bed.

Hey I love my cats but yes I wouldn't trust them alone with a loose snake but that will never happen. our snakes don't get on the ground at this stage.

I share my bedroom with my herps and cats and my cats love to sit and watch them, but I've taught the cats to watch from a distance so everyone gets along. But cats are cats, and cats like to play, so they're only allowed to be here when I'm here. I take my snake out with the cats around, they just sit and watch from where ever they are, hasn't caused any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back