Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffler

Reaction score
I was wondering what the future had for the rough scaled python in collections? I think its great that one of the most isolated and rare populations of unique pythons anywhere in the world are now safe due to captive breeding programs. However, I dont really see this being much of a "pet" python by any means. I personally find them rather plain looking and couldnt really see myself getting any at all. Also everyone I know doesnt really care for them either.
So I was wondering what others thought the future of these guys is, and also maybe they are very interesting animals to keep? Do they handle well? Are they snappy? Do they have woma type personalities or are they boring?
I see their price is falling very quickly so maybe my thoughts might be close to home.

Some people are selling juvies for the price of a quality Woma this season.

Will genetics play a part in the future, seeing as the founder group came from only a handful of animals?

Some people are selling juvies for the price of a quality Woma this season.

Will genetics play a part in the future, seeing as the founder group came from only a handful of animals?

No real morph possibilites that I can see, considereing its a very tight genepool even in nature.

Well firstly it will be good to see them added to the keepers list here in WA (hopefully within 100 years).

Even though there is a good population of them in the East if they became endangered in the wild DEC (Department of Environment and Conservation) would not risk importing them back over from the east as they are trying their hardest to keep out the deadly IBD and OPMV virus.

Here in WA we only have two Adult pairs in captivity and only one pair has bred successfully and they are the ones at Perth Zoo.

They Sound and look like they will be great pets, I think they would just act like any other carpet python but the bites would be alot different from an average carpet bite with them having much bigger teeth.
I don’t think they would ever be a good starter snake because of them having much larger teeth from all other snakes.

Last edited:
I would like to know what they are like to keep as captive too.
I think with the huge price drop they will be on my list sooner than later too.
They are different from costals and other carpets so that is what gets me.

I think they are absolutely beautiful Stiffler and I would love to get a pair. The only thing that is holding me back is the price.

Well personally my partner (ReptilianGuy) and I cannot wait to add some of these guys to our collection, we think they are absolutely beautiful. We were over the moon when the DSE added them to our schedules.

Well personally my partner (ReptilianGuy) and I cannot wait to add some of these guys to our collection, we think they are absolutely beautiful. We were over the moon when the DSE added them to our schedules.

I second that.
Good on the DSE

I would like to know what they are like to keep as captive too.
I think with the huge price drop they will be on my list sooner than later too.
They are different from costals and other carpets so that is what gets me.

From what I've heard they're quite docile and calm. Be like any type of snake, you have your calm ones and snappy ones and all the other types inbetween

My guys are awesome. They are a bit fussy on the food now and again but it seems like a seasonal thing so far. I haven't had the pleasure of getting a close up with those teeth yet. The "colour changing" is pretty cool too.
Hopefully there will be some effort put into widening the genetic diversity of our captive animals even if it is only a couple of new w/c animals but who knows. They are a great species to keep and with them looking like getting much cheaper, hopefully more people will have the pleasure of keeping them.

They're great snakes with placid temperaments. I love mine and would highly recommend them to anyone. I've found that they do become a bit fussy with their food each year - probably seasonal but seem to start up again without any issue. They are one of the only snakes that I don't have any issue just putting my hand into the enclosure and pick them up without having to worry about an accidental, feed related bite.

I was abit like that too at first, not knowing whether it was worth the effort or not, but once I saw and held one in the flesh Im glad I got a pair and havent looked back. Mine are only from last season but both are calm and placid and easy to work with. It seems those that never have kept them will bag them so to speak but once they get them, they quickly cement a special spot in their collection. I know I wont part with mine.

As for the future in terms of genetics, I think john has done a very good job with breeding selection etc etc. A reasonable question may be asked for the species as a whole, is there enough genetic material in the wild or will due to their limited habitat, the genetic time bomb wipe them out.

As for the future in terms of genetics, I think john has done a very good job with breeding selection etc etc. A reasonable question may be asked for the species as a whole, is there enough genetic material in the wild or will due to their limited habitat, the genetic time bomb wipe them out.

Relic populations of reptiles are kicking along just fine all over the planet, sure the roughies wont be an
exception.

I don't think it's all about price or weather they make good pets or not.
Many reptile keepers / herpetologists are not looking for pets, they enjoy / study / admire the species for what is it, not how much it costs, how rare it is or if it bites or not.
There is much more to reptiles than the "pet value".

would the narrow genetic gene pool increse the chance of a genetic abnormality eg albinisim to pop up?

donks

would the narrow genetic gene pool increse the chance of a genetic abnormality eg albinisim to pop up?

donks

Not necessarily, it may even make it less chance if the genes just don't have it in them to make such a critter... I think you have a greater chance of such abnormalities popping up by having a greater diversity, mixing gene pools until you find 2 that don't match well so to speak..
As for the prices, I think they will stay steady for some time, not a huge amount of people breeding them, though the class2 status may drag them abit...

unfortunately , the RSP is being used in alot of hybrid projects ,
i know of more the 3 matings of a Rsp to a Gtp that have occurred. i think that this is the future for theRsp:cry:
while the price will drop for pure Rsp ,the hybrid "morphs" will only demand a higher price.

Cheers Fj

there future is being used to get fussy bhp's feeding as hatchies when there not eating rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back