Some ppl have no idea!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
Yesterday i picked up my two new bredli's from a breeder with whom we had arranged to meet at the reptile barn in St Marys, Sydney (he doesn't like strangers coming around to his house, which is understandable these days!).

Anyways, we were at his car, choosing our pythons (which brings a whole new meaning to dealing from the back of a car in a car park doesn't it? :wink: ), and i had to return to my own car to grab a container. I had one of the gorgeous bredli's wrapped around my hand as i went. Along the way, 3 people got out of a car that had just pulled up next to mine, and one of them noticed what i was holding, and came up to me to have a look. She asked a couple of questions, which i was happy to answer. But it's what she said next that brings me here now. She didn't know me from a bar of soap, yet the next words out of her mouth were We have a corn snake at home. My reply was just Ahh really? and i noticed that her male partner was shooting nasty glances her way. They walked into the store, and i walked back with my container, laughing!

I can't believe how trusting, or in this case stupid, some people can be!

I wonder if she new they are illegal or is just too trusting, I'd never admit to my cornies.....................oops. did i say that outloud. LMAO :wink:
But obviously the husband/BF knew.

I think just 'dumb' covers it pretty well!
Would have to be to be mentioning stuff like that to strangers and to own one while when penalties are so high if you get caught.

What a foolish woman.
I have a better one though. So far I've met two different people, both of whom I had told about my dislike for the keeping of illegal reptiles, go on to brag about their exotic collection. One of them even went into detail about going out into a certain bushland area each year to steal pregnant diamond females and their eggs to sell. Idiots.

Vat69 said:
One of them even went into detail about going out into a certain bushland area each year to steal pregnant diamond females and their eggs to sell. Idiots.

That is so sick, people like this should be reported. I cannot stand people who take from the wild for commercial reasons, this is just so so terrible. :evil:

It makes me so angry :evil: :evil: ....okay breathe.........

Well I don't even see the attraction to something like a corn snake. In my eyes, all the Aussie pythons and colubrids are more attractive...and you can't get fined/go to gaol!

What would these people be paying for a corn snake??

Who's dumber though? The person who admits they have a corn snake, or the licenced keeper not taking their number plates / address to the police or NPWS and having them arrested?

Simon Archibald

Simon,
I think that is a bit uncalled for, many people don't want to get involved in dobbing people in, especially not having known the individual and colaborated the facts, let's face it you would look pretty silly if you took down all those details etc.. gave them to the Police and NPWS and the woman was just spinning a yarn to try and impress!
Knowing people have the animals and having seen them is first hand evidence, but I don't think anyone is going to be interested in 'Hearsay'.

Neil

Who's dumber though? The person who admits they have a corn snake, or the licenced keeper not taking their number plates / address to the police or NPWS and having them arrested?

Valid point Simon. In retrospect, i regretted that i hadn't done just that, and under different circumstances i think that i would have. However, given the purpose that i was there for, and trying to remember all the questions that i had intended on asking before handing over my hard earned dollars, i guess it must have slipped my mind, or had joined the que behind other things that i felt deserved precedence.

Neil,
My opinion was based on the idea that someone says "I was told they have a corn snake" and does nothing about it. And if nobody wants to get involved in doing anything about things, don't complain in the first place.

I have dobbed in a keeper to NSW NPWS before - he was trying to find a breeder of a particular species who was willing to say on record he had sold some hatchies to the guy. What had actually happened is he caught these animals from the wild and wanted them "validated" on licence.

If I knew the details and was the person there, rest assured that I would have rang NPWS as soon as I got home. They have always seemed interested to know in the past. Otherwise if people aren't going to do anything about it, other than complain, don't bother complaining at all.

Simon Archibald

mmm, of cause they probably should not get away with it. BUT i would have done the same thing. Cant say I would have put someone in gaol or a massive fine for keeping a small snake. Before the amnisty in NSW I was an "illegal" snake keeper as well. Like alot of us. There are plenty drug trafficers, rapists, violent and abusive people that should be in gaol..... not a corn snake keeper. Most people that keep the odd little exotic like this probably have no idea how illegal it is.....

Maybe talking to them and telling them about the amnisty and the legal ramifications of keeping the corn snake might have been more suitable. Then maybe calling the authorities and just let them know what happend and where it happend.

craig

Thanks Pryor,
Good to see that the person in the actual circumstance can understand reason. Hope the bredli are going well for you.

Simon Archibald

Craig,
True that many people commit crimes that have much more effect on people than keeping exotics. But, I just can't understand people who know this is going on, complaining that they hate it happening, but do nothing to stop it. That's beyond me.

Simon Archibald

that their prices are exceedingly high? -that i knew the first time i stepped foot in the store..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back