special treatment for breaking the law!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just reading through an old Reptiles Australia mag (Vol3 Issue 3) and there is an article that talks about a forum held in Nov 2006 to discuss the increasing problem of people keeping VENOMOUS EXOTICS! There was a suggestion made "to publicize a plea to those individules illegally keeping exotic venomous snakes, urging them to make contact with their local hospital to at least disclose the type of exotic snake being kept. This could be done anonymously...."

HELLO!!!! The individuals putting themselves, their families (children!!!), the community, and our environment at risk should not be given special privledges. They are breaking the law yet there is an entire forum organized to try and keep these people safe. if through their own stupidity they are bitten why should the local hospital be on stand by with exotic anti venom for them?
I clearly dont agree with this but what do other people think? Am i being overly harsh or do others agree?

True, but what if one escaped and bit a neighbour, at least the local hospital may be somewhat prepared to help that person.

I just hope that some poor kid from say next door wanders in and thinks its a python and wammo. That would be the only scenario i can think of that would warrant it, otherwise agree with u.

True, but the most likely scenario is that the one keeping it (is in close regular contact with it) is the one that will get tagged. If they choose to keep it then it is their own fault and if they get bitten then its one less idiot to contribute to the gene pool.

C'mon, you can never report anything genuinely anonamous. The authorities can always track you down. So perhaps it not such a dumb plan......

True guys, but instead of that, why don't that hold an amnesty for people to surrender there illegally kept species.

I remember in nsw we got special treatment for breaking the law we got an amnesty each to there own venomous exotics are here and in large numbers they ain't going anywhere nothing wrong for a keeper to be prepare.

They had an amnesty a few years ago in NSW for exotics.....From all accounts bugger all were handed in.

It seams like that by saying it can be done anonymously its like saying" yes, put yourself and others at risk while breaking the law and when it hits the fan there will be help available, even though it's your own fault in the first place, and could have been avoided if they had done the right thing".

So by your way of thinking, someone who tries to fix an electrical fault on their own (instead of ringing an electrician) who ends up electrocuting themself should be left to die, and no medical assistance offered?

I remember that forum and that was only one of the topics not the main event so to speak. Even if I dont argee with the keeping of venomous exotics I do believe that they should be able to get help. The guy that presented that paper was saying we know that they are out there and that medical centres should be able to plan for a snakebite of that nature. Again I dont see a problem.

So by your way of thinking, someone who tries to fix an electrical fault on their own (instead of ringing an electrician) who ends up electrocuting themself should be left to die, and no medical assistance offered?
what happens if that person thought it was fixed and then their child came along and got zapped? not just about that person, gotta think of every1 around you!
what do you think about ppl who kill snakes instead of calling a removalist.
do you think if they get bitten they should receive help? i say no.
ppl will always have exotics but its their own problem if they get bitten and should face harsh penalties if found with them or someone is injured by them

While I certainly agree that it's a stupid thing to do, are you suggesting that if bitten they should be left to potentially die?

what happens if that person thought it was fixed and then their child came along and got zapped? not just about that person, gotta think of every1 around you!
ppl will always have exotics but its their own problem if they get bitten and should face harsh penalties if found with them or someone is injured by them

I think you completely miss the point, as MrBredil has pointed out, these venemous exotics could possibly escape and harm a totally innocent bystander. The anonymity of some of these minor criminals could very well save lives. Say a child is bitten in their backyard by an escaped venemous exotic, are we to tell the parents "Sorry your child has to die because we don't allow anonymity for criminals". Some of you people are absolutely ridiculous.

I can see the point you are making and to an extent i agree, someones child should not have to die over the issue.I'm not saying anyone deserves to die, but if they decide to keep an exotic ven they have to accept that there is a very real possibility of them being bitten and possibly even dying. I just think that by allowing people this option it is almost encouraging it.
What if there is someone who would like to keep say a russels viper or a cobra but wont because of the possible consequences. Then he/she is told that they can let their local hospital know so that if they are bitten the hospital can be ready with the anti venom they need. What is stopping them now?
It is illegal for a reason, and 1 of those reasons is that it puts people at risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back