special treatment for breaking the law!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is illegal for a reason, and 1 of those reasons is that it puts people at risk.

I suspect it is no more expensive or difficult for a hospital to carry antivenines for exotic species than compared to native venomous species and people are legally allowed to own natives even though they are amongst the most dangerous in the world.

You can say all you want but illegal vens are out there and harm minimisation is more important than a lame attempt to 'punish' the people who have them.

To those who think informing the hospital is going to make more people keep exotic vens, or is not allowing natural selection to take place, or is making it 'ok' in some way to keep exotic vens....Im guessing you also do not agree with hospitals giving out fit packs for intravenous drug users? Or needle bins in public toilets? Or drug education programs for healthy drug use? Or educating minors on safe sex?
Ever heard of harm-minimisation?

these exotics being illegally brought in are also the reason we have opmv and body inclusion disease

if there was no demand for them, they wouldn't be smuggled in. therefore, the people who buy them are partially responsible for these diseases being brought into the country, and THAT is one more reason they dont deserve special treatment

Well you could get evidence of that if u let people come foreward without repurcussions.

...it is quite a preposterous idea to allow people to die - if a criminal steals a car and writes it off he is offered the same medical care as anyone else who does the same...

...without starting a ridiculous debate about whether capital punishment should or should not be in place - the simple fact of the matter is that we live in a CIVILISED and developed country, allowing people to die in such a way is absurd and the fact that this argument even arises astounds me...

...I agree that criminals should not be encouraged, people keeping exotic vens, however, are obviously doing it WITHOUT the medical safeguards in place so the argument that it would encourage them is ridiculous - it merely means they would receive suitable medical treatment...

It is unlikely that Hospitals will stock Exotic antivenine. They don't even have the money to stock adequate stocks of antivenine for native venomous species.

i dont agree with hospitals having to stock exotic anti venom

local anti-venom is expensive enuf, in production and distribution. imagin the cost of suppling hospitals exotic anti venom. i could run into the hundreds of thounds. if not more

it also has a self life, further increasing the cost. the public health system is under enuf strain as it is. they simply can afford to stock it. they can barely keep up with the locals.

if they did stock it our taxes would have to go up, so why should we pay for idiots who break the law and jeopardised saftey of others.

hospitals should only carry the 5 types they do now.

i work in a hospital, i know the cut backs we have to put up with.

I think that anyone who rocked up to a hospital with an exotic venomous snake bite, would have a few questions to answer anyway, and would probably have to pay for hospital costs on top of legal fees...

Even if hospitals stocked the right anti venom, someone coming in with a snake bite (from, say, an escaped exotic) isn't likely to know it was an exotic, and how likely is it for a hospital to test for exotic venom? Would giving the wrong anti venom hurt or help?

How could a hospital having more ability to save a life be a bad thing? Surely keeping an exotic isnt an offence punishable by death?
Big fine, yeah
Prison, maybe
But death, thats a bit harsh init?

Not when your talking right and wrong.
Not when your talkng legal and illegal.
If its legal you live and can use our tax payers health system.
If its illegal you die! Preferably slowly.
I love living in a Democratic Christian country...I can feeeeeeeel the looooove.

as sad as it sounds public hospitals cant deal with exotic snake bites, they can only treat the symtimes, unless you have the required permit and have provide your local hospitsal with the info and the anti venom, i have asked the doctors where i work, and there is no way the public health system will stock it. unless you are willing to pay for it your self, 1 vial is approx $1000, for exotic, and it will need a vial every 4 years, not worth it! also how may bites have you heard only requiring 1 vial? zero, its more like 3-4 plus, i do snake id for my local hospital, and i see the strain it takes on the system. if these idiots are dumb enuf to risk thieeer life then good luck to themk, qld health cant help them nor should they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you keep exotics you are putting your life in your own hands.

Ive been told that at least one major hospital in each state already stock exotic anti ven and then you have a supply of what zoos keep and AVU and venom supplies. Legalities and costs etc can be sorted out later, the protection of life is as it should also be first priority. Gee there is some harsh people on this site.

also keeping the anit vemon for the exotic would just be a encoragement to keep them which is B.S, they then know that if they do get bit there is back up, if there is no anti venom then they might think twice about keeping them!

why should we jepardise our lives, aussie snakes for aussie ppl, we have an amazing variety of snakes here, dont get selfish and want more. there is more than anyone could want right in our back yard, if aussie snakes dont do it for you then move to the U.S or africa or asia, simple as that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back