Spotted Python help??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love little babies that are abit cranky always a good sign that they will generally good eaters, It is weird that you got such a young one now, and i reckon it was probably one that was held back from last year not eating properly, I had a childrens that didn't eat for 8 mths you wouldn't believe now he is a pig now. I hung on to him till he was eating properly he has a good home now, she just loves him.

ah...... i see, i have been told that sometimes people do that too you, tell you it is new and its really one they have held back. Is there anyway i could work out if she is one of them? or if she really is a newby? I dont like the thoughts of being lied too!!

yeah jasta is a spotted :)
he isn't snappy, he rarely strikes at me (he can be a bit snappy about 24 hours after a feed but thats coz he cbf moving around so he just tells me to get lost)
he just bites when im holding him... im told its a hunger thing (altho he eats more then i do nearly) so im hoping he'll grow out of it with age :) the bigger the gets the more the bites will probably annoy me :p

jasta definately sorta rubs against me, kinda like a massage i guess when hes on my wrist/arms.. not on my hands though

i have no idea about finding out about if u were lied to about the age though :/ sorry

yeah jasta is a spotted :)
he isn't snappy, he rarely strikes at me (he can be a bit snappy about 24 hours after a feed but thats coz he cbf moving around so he just tells me to get lost)
he just bites when im holding him... im told its a hunger thing (altho he eats more then i do nearly) so im hoping he'll grow out of it with age :) the bigger the gets the more the bites will probably annoy me :p

jasta definately sorta rubs against me, kinda like a massage i guess when hes on my wrist/arms.. not on my hands though

i have no idea about finding out about if u were lied to about the age though :/ sorry

hahaha i like that he just cbf! lazy little boy! althought if he eats alot i dont blame him, who wants to move around much after a big meal??

yeah thats kind of how she does things rubs along like she is either massaging herself or itching?? i have never had my other snake do it so had no idea what she was up to! will try hold her tonight and see how i go. I hope she isn't older than what i was told, that would kind of annoy. What size do you think they should be around at 5wks? maybe that is abit of an indication?

mmm jasta issss roughly 50cm give or take a few and hes 9 months old.
he could actually be bigger now but yeah hes a lil difficult to hold next to a ruler and be happy about it at the same time :p
hes about to shoot in size though coz hes eating fuzzy rats now.. sigh. bigger teeth.
when hes not digesting he would be about as thick as my thumb maybe...coz everyone knows how thick my thumb is etc :p its too early. i got him when he was 6 1/2 months old and he was probably about 30 - 35cm then?

how big is ur girl??

Hi guys
As for handling and avoiding being mistaken for a potential food item we only handle our pythons during daylight hours and feed at night. We have never been taged doing it this way and if the enclosure door is opened at night you can see the attitude of the snakes change because they know food is on its way. When the snake gets older and biger a strike for food compaired a defencive strike are very different, dont get mistaken for a food item :shock: because they will hang on.
As mensioned a small snake will be defensive because as you can imagine in their eyes you are a huge moving heat emitter. But also striking is a good thing for keeping little ones feeding. But most will settle down in time. As for rubbing on your hand who knows - shed etc.
We have all our snakes in a rutine as said above which keeps them calm at day and a good feeding responce at night just so the snake isnt confused at what is going to happen when you open the door at night - food or hand?
Just a thought:D

Hatchling snakes should be left alone, only held when cleaning out their cage.

Thanks guys for the tips!

Unfortunately I have to handle my guys during the night as i am not home during the day, am only home during the day on weekends. but yes i do not want to be mistaken for food! i wash my hands about 3 times or more after i have touched the mice, or even touched any of my other animals for that matter. And i also wash my hands are handling each snake. I dont know if you need to do that but i figure it can't hurt! I have noticed though even over the last couple of days she is getting better. I still get her out with the coat hanger though just until she really calms down. I have had to get her out each day as she has made mess in her little home :)

its worse if they use it for paint

haven't had this happen yet *knock on wood*

i wanna know if the ppl who always say "only handle when cleaning enclosure" ever only did that with their first snake.
i know as u get more experienced and a bigger collection you obviously dont have time to go handling them all etc.. meh

so many different rules with so many different pets.

does anyone know if u can find out the age of any animal in general?? never known much about it...

oops pressed edit instead of quote..

Last edited by a moderator:
Bailey would probably be around hmmm 30cms?? maybe?? i haven't measured her yet, and i am sure just like Jasta she wont be to impressed about being held still along side a ruler lol but i would estimate around that, she is alot longer than i would have assumed for a 5week old. so then does that mean she really may have been born earlier??

i have never been able to stick to not handling them!! and my other one seems to be fine, i used to handle her every day and she has never been angry. i even hold her after feeding or the day after not a problem. not cranky and she has never brought up the food so i assume it isn't hurting her! i think people just need to find what suits their pets needs.

with some animals their teeth show the age, but with snakes i wouldn't know??

haven't had this happen yet *knock on wood*

i wanna know if the ppl who always say "only handle when cleaning enclosure" ever only did that with their first snake.
i know as u get more experienced and a bigger collection you obviously dont have time to go handling them all etc.. meh

so many different rules with so many different pets.

does anyone know if u can find out the age of any animal in general?? never known much about it...

oops pressed edit instead of quote..

I have always done that Wench...as I had a good teacher who knew what he was talking about.
I have brought up a lot of children pythons species and they are all have beautiful natures and that is what worked for me as they have not been stressed out by people continually handling them especially when they are little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back