Spotted vs Children's?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a very intelligent pet shop ;)

I personally wouldn't buy a from a petshop, but that's me.
What you need to consider is if you want the smaller or larger of the two, if this doesn't phase you- go for the one you like the handling / look of best (making sure all snakes you consider are in good shape/wormed/etc prior to purchase)

That is why I've been looking around. I can't deny that I have thought about a Carpet Python but I've never had a snake before so I'm looking at getting a small one to start with.
Can always get something bigger when I'm more confident of myself, you know what I mean?

here's the thing, assuming that you'll be getting a hatchy-which most people do for their first snake-by the time it gets to be a larger snake you'll probly have enough experiance to deal with snakes that are larger and more then likley own many more snakes by then.

out of the two i would choose childrens:)

Childreni for sure, Mine is as placid as anything and does have a colourful sheen, Thats why it got called opal

my last post on this is very old, so here is my story so far.....
i decided that my spotted who is now 9 months isn't the snake for me. To be honest i cant enjoy having a snake as a pet that i have to use a coat hanger to get her out of her enclosure and when im holding her make sure nobody else is in the room or she will just randomly strike at them, and i can only handle her with one had as she will try and tag the other one :S. So i've had enough and i've moved on to carpets now (getting a bredli in 2 weeks). Not that i am heartless and will just move her on, but its like a dog that bites, there not really safe and not fun to be around with. Yes she isn't going to do damage, but if she bites another kid or my parents its the end of her :(. Sad to say i've been steered away from the Antaresia and feel hesitant to get another one. Each to there own i guess, it will be sad to see her go, but she isn't a joy to be around with.

my last post on this is very old, so here is my story so far.....
i decided that my spotted who is now 9 months isn't the snake for me. To be honest i cant enjoy having a snake as a pet that i have to use a coat hanger to get her out of her enclosure and when im holding her make sure nobody else is in the room or she will just randomly strike at them, and i can only handle her with one had as she will try and tag the other one :S. So i've had enough and i've moved on to carpets now (getting a bredli in 2 weeks). Not that i am heartless and will just move her on, but its like a dog that bites, there not really safe and not fun to be around with. Yes she isn't going to do damage, but if she bites another kid or my parents its the end of her :(. Sad to say i've been steered away from the Antaresia and feel hesitant to get another one. Each to there own i guess, it will be sad to see her go, but she isn't a joy to be around with.

So what are you going to do when the carpet wants to bite?
These are snakes this is some thing they DO from time to time.

i have been told that bredli are more placid than spotteds when it comes to handling as they age and become larger. My spotted is now 9 months old and i have been handling her a few times a week now since i got her and she just has not settled down. I almost beleive she has become more highly strung than when i first got her. No its not because of stress as i handle her one day and then i will give her a day off. Its also because of personal choice as i've always wanted a bredli and my spotted was suppose to be my 'first snake', i would keep her if i was aloud 2 snakes.

So what are you going to do when the carpet wants to bite?
These are snakes this is some thing they DO from time to time.

as also you have stated they DO bite from time to time, she strikes on a regular basis.

I say children's just because it was my first snake and I've never had any troubles with him. He is definitely my favourite snake.

i have been told that bredli are more placid than spotteds when it comes to handling as they age and become larger. My spotted is now 9 months old and i have been handling her a few times a week now since i got her and she just has not settled down. I almost beleive she has become more highly strung than when i first got her. No its not because of stress as i handle her one day and then i will give her a day off. Its also because of personal choice as i've always wanted a bredli and my spotted was suppose to be my 'first snake', i would keep her if i was aloud 2 snakes.
Well Spotteds are generally renowned as a placid species, I know mine is definitely a placid little fellow, so it sounds to me like you were a little unluckly to get an aggressive one. And that risk would be there with a Bredli too, again a species that's known as very placid but you could get an aggressive one.

Still you can only go in accordance with what you think.

Hi, i prefer spotted, just a bit nicer to look at, my spotted was quite aggressive when i got her, she was already 6 months old and had no handling. After 5 months of lots of handling ( four to five times a week for at least half an hour to an hour), she has turned out to be an absolute pleasure to handle, can do anything with her now. If you end up with a snappy python ( any type ), persevere for a while, cause it should settle with handling. I don't have any but Stimson pythons are nearly the same as children and spotted but are so much prettier and have heard they have a really lovely temperament. Also if they were going to feed it while it was still in its cage, that is a no no. Feed in another container as a lot of snakes will become very defensive of there cage, and its the last thing you need, ur snake thinking its feed time everytime you get it out.

Only new to this myself but thought some of this info might be helpful. Also maybe try a breeder instead of a pet shop (just my opinion).

Good Luck!!!

My little guy has realized - mostly because of my lack of reaction to it's strikes - that biting doesn't do much. Now he just sort of opens his mouth against me. I haven't even noticed the last three until I saw what he was doing.
And he's a spotted :-D

hi, I have 3 spotted pythons...1 x adult female (Pookie)...2 x yearly males (Spike and Didums).
I also have 2 grandsons (5 and 3 years old) who love to put the female around their necks and walk around the house without any problems. She is so great with them.
Check out my pics on my profile.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back