Stolen Pygmy Stimsons - Last night

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much! I really just want to get the word out cos the likeihood is they are going to try and off load them or at least want some help setting them up if they dont knwo much about snakes. I dont believe the ppl whos bag got stolen took its cos ive found out that thats a mates cousin and they are petrified of snake.... honestly petrified! Most of my friends are! LOL!

The police are freakin' useless sometimes. Such a shame they couldn't get prints, but you don't need that kind of attitude from them as well. Have they been to the other places that got robbed? Maybe they can get something from there.

I think sometimes the police are resigned to the fact that they probably won't find the culprits even if they got good prints. they don't want to waste their time on a theft of an animal which they obviously don't value. I am sure it is the same for other animals not just snakes/reptiles.

It sounds like an opportunistic theft, if they jumped the fence just as you were going out and snuck in the closing door. Bad timing here unfortunately probably. If it wasn't and it was targeted it is probably on the black market now and there is no hope of recovering it. IMO

Sorry for your loss.

I don't know the value of this species and I don't understand why people would bother stealing anything other than GTPs for their value. Any self respecting collector/breeder/owner wouldn't buy something not on a licence.

I can't fathom theft like that myself.

^ this may be the case but in this area of wollongong , the police have got plenty of known thieves they could at least start with ..
and the reasoning would be a quick drug fix ...to their closest dealer who will either show it off or sell it on for 4 times what he paid...

I still think if the words gets out there are enough good people out there that there is a chance they'll be returned .. I was in Berkeley , just the other side of wollongong , spent alot of time in corrimal/bellambi Ive had things stolen and then returned for one reason or another ;)... i wouldnt give up yet !

I can't fathom theft like that myself.

I don't understand theft, I know why lowlife people do it but I just don't how I could live with the guilt! When I was about 6 I took a toy Scooby Doo that was worth about 10c from my Aunties house, we were playing with 20y/o toys that hadn't been played with for ages and we were the only ones that did and I love Scooby Doo.......I still regret it

So if I stole a snake I'd pretty much die from guilt

Thanks so much! I really just want to get the word out cos the likeihood is they are going to try and off load them or at least want some help setting them up if they dont knwo much about snakes. I dont believe the ppl whos bag got stolen took its cos ive found out that thats a mates cousin and they are petrified of snake.... honestly petrified! Most of my friends are! LOL!

Wouldn't be the cousin of friend that you gave a lift too?

Hope that helps. If you're thinking about microchipping, do a bit of research and make up your own mind. :)

I have all my mainland species microchipped (except for V. storri)....In fact it is a requirement of DPIPWE to have them chipped.

I have not had any issues with the chip relocating, infection or otherwise since having them done.

I tried to post this a couple of pages back but for some reason it would not load - better late than never I guess.

It certainly sounds like they were targetting the reptiles and were possibly waiting for you to go to sleep. In the meantime they have checked out the house from where they were watching and lifted the handbag in the hope of some ready cash. A burglar would have gone straight to the bedrooms and checked out the bedside drawers because this is where people tend to leave their wallets or purses, throw their loose cash and leave their watches and jewellery.

Have you had a party there in the last 6 weeks or so? Did you have people you didn’t know asking lots of questions about the snakes? Any strangers, may be someone accompanying a friend of yours, that showed undue curiosity in the snakes over the past couple of months.

Whoever is responsible knew what you had and where they were. They were not after anything else.

I do sympathise. It is not only the loss of your pets but also the feeling of having been violated that is hard to accept. Your home is your castle, your sanctum, your security – and this type of incident robs you of that too.

By the way, why do you call them “pygmy”?

Blue

PS: I think NATO meant “deterrents” rather than deterrence

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are reptiles more prone to be stolen over other animals? :(
So sorry to hear, I would absolutely hate to lose my animals - they're part of my family.
When I keep reading stories like this, my paranoia increases.

they tend to be relatively smaller and easier to traffic, not to mention less resistance (or perceived to be anyway)
and money wise its better than say stealing a pet hamster
not to mention the reptile hobby is still growing after all, theres heaps of ignorance and people taking advantage to make a quick buck

the fact that we're in a reptile forum may also explain abit....

As K3nny said, less resistance and you can shove them into a pillow case without them making a noise. A few years ago some family had their house broken into - specifically for the birds they kept - and their Amazon made so much noise the neighbours came to investigate, caught the **** trying to shove a Blue and Gold into a hessian sack. They found out later on he'd gotten their address when he'd enquired about an African Gray for sale, wanted to "have a look and see if they were compatible," but he'd never shown to view it.

With rare/expensive animals, you always run the risk of people with sticky fingers.

The unfortunate thing also is that this hobby attracts alot of shady people.
You will hear of it in the news alot, "Drug Ring Raid, Pythons Seized"

Most likely a junkie wanting something to show off or sell off for their next hit....

I keep coming back to this thread hoping for good news saying you found your pythons...

Good luck and fingers crossed they get returned to you

its gotta be someone you know or someone who watches your house !!!!

if you go out at 4am in tha morning and someone breaks in at that time its an inside job as they say !!!!!

someone was watching you !!!! are there junkies or thiefs that live nearby cause they will have em !!!!

i will lay money on u knowing these people or they were watching your house or happened to notice you leave and knew that nobody was home other than when you left !!!!

Many years ago, it was well known that those smuggling drugs into Australia would often take a load of Australian birds back out, to make some money out of the return journey. You would see photos on the news of a suitcase full of drugged parrots stuffed into socks, discovered at an airport. And people with backyard aviaries were frequently targeted by thieves. As bird prices have dropped and reptiles have become popular and prices have risen, reptiles now seem to have displaced birds in the smuggling and thieving rackets. There also used to be a certain status attached to owning a foreign parrot. That now seems to be the case with a decent sized python.

Blue

Mate Ive text everyone I know and thats alot of people and from all walks of life , and no-one knows anything . I really think its gotta be someone that knows you and lives real close........

Its quite possible that it was a random attack.
It may have been a cat burglar who spent all night prowling the whole area - then saw your car leave- saw an opportunity and struck.
They probably thought they didnt have time and/or the nerve to turn over your house properly as you could return any second.
The fact your neighbours also got their bag stolen backs up this theory - I bet if you canvassed the area you will find other people got hit that night as well or were disturbed by noises etc.

Sorry I cant help you - I hope somehow they are returned and the culprit/s are/is caught!!!

Good luck Josh

(my comma isnt working)

sorry to hear you dont have them back yet,probly neva will......just a point to mention...... there has also been a lot of birds being stolen around the place as well....one person i know lost 2pr of macaws(around 20-30k worth) and others lost more birds but not as expensive,so everyone bevery aware of wot u leave and how u leave them

that is crap!
i have about 8 cameras in my house all wired into a server with a car battery backup
i also have a red nose pitty and various other crime deterrence

And you think that will stop someone coming in if they really want to come in?

The dog is more than enough, no one comes near my Gaff...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back