Twine to Chain Feed Snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worm1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello, trying to get a fussy hatchling to eat mice/rats and have read about chain feeding them to help them transition, but wondered what everyone used to tie them together? Thanks!

Jute twine. The natural non died one. Can get it from Bunnings. I use it on one of mine every feed. Works great.

Don't bother with this method it is absolutely not needed.
Just hand feed a rat of the appropriate size directly behind the mouse just before the last swallow. Eg nose of the rat on the butt of the mouse.

Just hand feed a rat of the appropriate size directly behind the mouse just before the last swallow. Eg nose of the rat on the butt of the mouse.
Actually is for this one, unfortunately, as it refuses to strike/tong feed to eat. You have to leave food in its enclosure during the evening for a few hours before it eats on its own.

The Grunt's one from Bunnings? Thanks!
Any brand is fine mate, as long as it’s all natural and non dyed.
My jag which I use the twine for will not take anything chain fed after trying plenty of times which is why I had to resort to tying.

Any old cotton is fine. I haven't bothered with this for many years but in the 90s when I was experimenting with all sort of ridiculous methods I stitched up plenty of feeds like this, sometimes with many items in the same feed. Probably the most sewing I've ever done.

Cotton isn't toxic and neither are the dyes. They literally make clothing out of that stuff. Children chew on their clothes, etc etc, it has to be safe for them to sell it. I used whatever cotton thread was around, and wasn't fussed about colour.

Ineresting, thread. I have a palmerston Jungle who will not take rats at all, she is 3 years old and still yearling size, Im not too worried she eats when she feels, goes up to 4 months at a time, think I will chain feed her a rat with tying. she often regurges the rat at half way when I put in directly after the mouse. . She is a pain to feed !

Ineresting, thread. I have a palmerston Jungle who will not take rats at all, she is 3 years old and still yearling size, Im not too worried she eats when she feels, goes up to 4 months at a time, think I will chain feed her a rat with tying. she often regurges the rat at half way when I put in directly after the mouse. . She is a pain to feed !
Try quail if tying don’t work mate.

Latest posts

Back