Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdaji

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hello again,

the pictures I posted last night were pretty popular and I received a couple of PMs asking if I had any more. I did take another few, a couple were very similar and three or four were in pretty bad focus, but these two aren't terrible.

Joy Lizard, Nephrurus levis

Joyfaceee.jpg

Joyfaceeee.jpg

Again, hope they're worth the bandwidth ;)[/i]

DAMN i like them sooo much im gonna buy one next breeding season.
hey sdaji got any full body shots of the guy in the first pic???

Thor: am I boring you? :p

demon: sure do, it's in the other thread. Hang on, I'll get the link.

ok thanks this may sound stupid but the guy in the other thread has a differant head
colour ( or that might just be my eyes) do they change colours or wat???
do you breed these guys??

demon: they're all of the same lizard. The same camera, the same lizard, the pictures were all taken within about two minutes and all in the same spot, indoors under the same lighting conditions. I suppose it shows how tiny differences can affect the colours, which is something to keep in mind when buying animals! I've photographed reptiles which were bright yellow and had them come up looking almost white (nothing to do with overexposure), I've photographed light yellow reptiles and had them come up deep orange, I've photographed bredli and had the pictures come out purple, etc etc.

The two pictures in this thread are quite different, the top one looks mainly blue and grey, the bottom one is in shades of lilac (at least on my monitor). None of it was deliberate, I actually didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Thor: no worries, I was just joking too ;)

Umm, can I ask where the hell the name 'Joy lizard ' comes from, have I missed something? As far as I know these are smooth knob tailed geckos

They're so awesome sdaji, I love the full body shot in the first thread.

I daresay these could've been posted in your other thread.

Nice shots though. If I get gecks, it'd be a pair of these guys.

Splitmore: common names are loaded with problems, everyone seems to have their own common name these days, no matter which species you're talking about. I say Chondro, many say green python, many say green tree python, Shingle backs have about six common names in frequent use, all but one form of carpet python is found on the coast, yet only one is called the coastal carpet, even though it occurs hundreds of kilometers from the coast.... Joy Lizard is a frequently used name for Nephrurus levis, but in case there was any confusion, the scientific name was up there too.

Incidentally, Joy Lizards, Nephrurus levis, aren't really all that smooth and the name 'smooth knob tailed gecko' would certainly be more appropriate for Nephrurus laevissimus. This is well demonstrated be the amusing position the QLD pet shops are currently in :lol: The name "smooth knob tailed gecko" previously refered to a group which has now been split into several species. I have several books which give different common names for Nephrurus levis. Sorry for not using your first preference.

Manny: I dare say I could also not have bothered posting any of them at all! :lol: Sorry for ruining your day :roll: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back