Urgent!!!! Very sick childrens python :'(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you snake is on antibiotics that is controlling now the infection, although I have never heard of antibiotics lasting 2 weeks between injections.
Beterdine inhibits new tissue development so now that the infection is under control dont use Beterdine wash on the open wound.
Feeding can wait say 6 months from the last feed and may only cause additional stress.
Make sure the animal is housed between 30-32 C, in a "private" cage to avoid stress. A bath in clean water may assist in preventing dehydration.
Sick animals often dont thermoregulate.

Here a few photos for those who actually care about giving advice, for anyone that would like to tell me how bad he looks and that i should give him away don't bother sharing as I am only after help and advice as I am very worried about him.
I have shed enough tears and don't need to made to feel worse than I already do. I have been putting betadine on his hole as told by the vet, he has had antibiotics, i am soaking him (supervised) each day. Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)
View attachment 239124
View attachment 239126
View attachment 239125

If you snake is on antibiotics that is controlling now the infection, although I have never heard of antibiotics lasting 2 weeks between injections.
Beterdine inhibits new tissue development so now that the infection is under control dont use Beterdine wash on the open wound.
Feeding can wait say 6 months from the last feed and may only cause additional stress.
Make sure the animal is housed between 30-32 C, in a "private" cage to avoid stress. A bath in clean water may assist in preventing dehydration.
Sick animals often dont thermoregulate.

Thank you for your advice. With the antibiotics that is what the vet said, that it would last 2 weeks but i have to go back this week which has only been a week so i will ask about it. As for the batadine, I was just doing as vet said but will stop if it is going to cause more problems. I do soak him for about 20mins a day as someone suggested. in clean luke warm water with a rock so he can keep his head out. He is in his own enclosure with monitored temp.
Thank you any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hey Jacinta :) sounds like you are onto it here ;) its really great the advise all these people are offering. I dont have a snake but i just though i would suggest to make his glass enclosure a bit more secure for him while he is recovering you could put a sheet of cardboard up over the sides :D
Im sure he will pull through just fine - like i think renette said - hardy little beggers haha
good luck
Bec

The only two week ab I know of is convenia, which is only registered for cats & dogs. But perhaps it can be used off label for reptiles.....though I have not heard of this yet???

Here a few photos for those who actually care about giving advice, for anyone that would like to tell me how bad he looks and that i should give him away don't bother sharing as I am only after help and advice as I am very worried about him.
I have shed enough tears and don't need to made to feel worse than I already do. I have been putting betadine on his hole as told by the vet, he has had antibiotics, i am soaking him (supervised) each day. Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)
View attachment 239124
View attachment 239126
View attachment 239125

Thank you for your advice. With the antibiotics that is what the vet said, that it would last 2 weeks but i have to go back this week which has only been a week so i will ask about it. As for the batadine, I was just doing as vet said but will stop if it is going to cause more problems. I do soak him for about 20mins a day as someone suggested. in clean luke warm water with a rock so he can keep his head out. He is in his own enclosure with monitored temp.
Thank you any advice is appreciated :)
I am not a vet but my understanding is that Betadine is a first line of defence until better controls, probably antibiotics, have controlled the source of any infection. From what you say the hole is not improving (I cant see the pics), which suggests the Betadine may be inhibiting new cell development. Too long and the hole will be surrounded by scar tissue which does not heal well, so it may need to be debrided to encourage healing. If the animal is not on antibiotics then it may be a risk to stop Beterdine. My understanding is that even long acting antibiotics need to be topped up every three days in reptiles.Your vet will normally give you say 2weeks of doses, and show you how to do intramuscular injections.Discuss this with your vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little shocked and disappointed with this thread and how it went due to the fact all this person wanted was some help for the sick or near dead snake and most of the replies were to criticise and not offer help.
Let me say this, people turn to this site for help with there reptiles not to be criticised, if you want to criticise pm them.

I want everyone to know that I sent a PM to Jacinta last night apologising for the harshness of my remarks I made to her. I try to live by the moral code of....if you can't say anything kind and constructive, don't say anything at all.....I didn't live up to that code yesterday, and for that I apologise.

Annie you were having one of those human moments ;)

Well, I've apologised to her and I hope everyone else forgives me too. I don't like to be a cranky old bitch....I should have kept my mouth shut. In my younger days I was an angry person, now I'm a bit older I'd like to think I've gained a bit of wisdom.....but sometimes not it seems.

I am a little shocked and disappointed with this thread and how it went due to the fact all this person wanted was some help for the sick or near dead snake and most of the replies were to criticise and not offer help.
Let me say this, people turn to this site for help with there reptiles not to be criticised, if you want to criticise pm them.

I totally agree with you. This is the first time i have been on this site, and I was highly shocked at how many people wanted to criticise rather than help.. Thanks for having your say, glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I totally agree with you. This is the first time i have been on this site, and I was highly shocked at how many people wanted to criticise rather than help.. Thanks for having your say, glad I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I'm not condoning the reactions a lot of people had on this thread, but I understand them. There are often a few people who float through and 'troll' by posting bizarre and unbelievable issues, and at first glance yours looked like one of them. I'm not ashamed to say I thought so at first, until I let it get on a bit and read through up until today.
Regardless though, the first and foremost reaction should be to help, although I've probably snapped a bit at a few threads myself a while ago. If it turns out the OP was trolling, bully for them, it's not likely to affect the thread commenter one iota. If however, like this thread, it turns out the actions/consequences were genuine and a genuine mistake then you've helped someone out. Win win, really.
I hope your little guy pulls through jacinta, I really do. Good luck with him, and I wish I had more to add. Maybe check through a few older threads on here about healing reps, there could be some good tips to be had or members to PM, I seem to recall a large boa being rehabbed from a sizeable hole in the head... was it a retic? Not sure. I do know it was offshore though.

Hell, maybe I shouldn't say this....but I can't believe what's happened. I know people make mistakes, but like I said, I can't believe what has happened to this poor creature. As you said Jacinta, you do need to do more research. Maybe you should give the little guy to someone else and then do some more reasearch and start again when you understand more of what is involved with keeping and feeding a snake. I'm really trying to be gentle with my comments....but maybe a dog or cat might suit you better for a while !!! Sorry, just my opinion.....

Wow, I think you should shut up....

All good. Just thought I'd let you know that Grannieannie apologised for her actions and that no further narration was really necessary ;)

Rubbish. She did the wrong and got bagged for it. Hopefully the short sharp shocks make her wake up to herself and not do it again. The animal is in the condition it's in because of ignorance and stupidity, primarily on the breeders head, but there you go. I think the O.P realised she did the wrong thing and she's now fixed everything up, and good on her. All you hippies who want to pat people on the head when they screw up need a big ol' glass of harden up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back