Urgent!!!! Very sick childrens python :'(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no one likes bad criticism but when you make a stuff up like this your going to get it and kinda deserve it imo

PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES. it is a human thing that we do. I realise people are upset that my snake is bad condition BUT no one is more upset than me!!! I was doing what I was told by a breeder. I am trying my butt off to fix what I have done. for all the people who just want to have a go at me why don't you try having something constructive to say rather than i should be knocked on the head,"i should give my snake away" an other things. You can all go jump as you have no idea who i am or how i look after my animals. as for making one mistake i was told by a breeder to do again people make mistakes. tell me one of you that have never made a mistake in your life...
I got on this site as I thought i could get some help.
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH TO THOSE WHO HAVE HONESTLY HELPED AND HAD SUGGESTIONS.

Anyhow, I hope your python get's better.

Thank you Sammy :)

Last edited:
Ahhh the joys of public forums... just like a'holes everyone has an opinion.

The majority of posts have been constructive even a lot of the 'You did what???' posts mostly turn into a helpful response. Even Annie's reaction was driven by wanting the best for the snake and was intended as a diplomatic response it was just something that was never going to sit well with someone who feels bad about their pet.

Let's all stop for a breath and let the thread get back on track with Jacinta feeling comfortable to share how Aladin is progressing and letting us know what she is learning. I am hoping to read good news when she gets hold of the vet with the reptile experience.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Jacinta

I'm sure there are people on here who are better at this than me but here is my two cents. I'd try diluted chlorhexidine on the wound in order to vary the treatment a bit from betadine (particularly if the betadine doesn't seem to be doing much). Soaking the wound in a bath of chlorhexidine if possible (I can't see your attachments to have a look at the picture of where the wound is) for 10 - 30 minutes should help. Some studies have demonstrated chlorhexidine is better.

If the snake is septic (and it appears it is) fluids are essential and some of the others on here already pointed that out and offered advice on how to maintain hydration. Fluid injection will also help if it's really dehydrated (but get your vet to sort that one out).

Natural sunlight (don't cook it - about 20 minutes and be extra cautious if it's a really hot day) is always better for any reptile than UV lighting, and I think it helps a lot when they're sick.

Lastly a second opinion from a vet (particularly if yours isn't too flash with reptiles) is definitely recommended. Try Canley Heights Veterinary Clinic - (02) 9604 9300. James or Teri - Excellent reptile vets. I don't know what they can offer over the phone but it's worth a call.

Good luck with it and remember reptiles do everything slower. It takes longer before they exhibit obvious signs that they are sick, and conversely it takes longer for them to recover. Because it's a slow process no news is good news. Deterioration is bad. I'll keep an eye on this post to see how he goes.

Hi Jacinta

I'm sure there are people on here who are better at this than me but here is my two cents. I'd try diluted chlorhexidine on the wound in order to vary the treatment a bit from betadine (particularly if the betadine doesn't seem to be doing much). Soaking the wound in a bath of chlorhexidine if possible (I can't see your attachments to have a look at the picture of where the wound is) for 10 - 30 minutes should help. Some studies have demonstrated chlorhexidine is better.

If the snake is septic (and it appears it is) fluids are essential and some of the others on here already pointed that out and offered advice on how to maintain hydration. Fluid injection will also help if it's really dehydrated (but get your vet to sort that one out).

Natural sunlight (don't cook it - about 20 minutes and be extra cautious if it's a really hot day) is always better for any reptile than UV lighting, and I think it helps a lot when they're sick.

Lastly a second opinion from a vet (particularly if yours isn't too flash with reptiles) is definitely recommended. Try Canley Heights Veterinary Clinic - (02) 9604 9300. James or Teri - Excellent reptile vets. I don't know what they can offer over the phone but it's worth a call.

Good luck with it and remember reptiles do everything slower. It takes longer before they exhibit obvious signs that they are sick, and conversely it takes longer for them to recover. Because it's a slow process no news is good news. Deterioration is bad. I'll keep an eye on this post to see how he goes.

Thank you. I appreciate your 2 gets worth lol. I will try doing what you suggested. :)
As for my photos i am not sure why my photos aren't working. i have put them up twice :(
Anyway thanks again for your advice and the phone number :)

Ok I have put photos of Aladdin in my profile in a photo album. Let me know if you can see them :)

Last edited:
Can see the photos. The wound does look deep, but I didn't see it 5 days ago when you first posted. And regardless of how it looks, I can't really think of much more to offer other than the bits and pieces of constructive advice that was already suggested by others in the previous posts in amongst all the unnecessary abuse.

There just isn't that much else you can do for them. Antibiotics, a topical antiseptic like betadine or chlorhexidine, hydration, sunlight and good recovery conditions. He won't eat while he's sick so I wouldn't worry too much about that (keep offering every week or so though - if he eats at least it's a sign he's improving). Call one of the good reputable reptile vets tomorrow and see what they say.

Let me say this, people turn to this site for help with there reptiles not to be criticised, if you want to criticise pm them.

I agree as a general proposition. In many of these threads I am shocked by some of the comments that come out. What's done is done; in the end, what matters is that there is an animal that needs help.

However, I do think it's important to publicly comment on husbandry mistakes that led to the problem - and there's nothing that says you can't be diplomatic about it. Learning from your mistakes is intelligent. Learning from other people's mistakes - even more intelligent. If everyone was too PC to explain that live feeding is not a good thing, or that you need to monitor temperatures in a snake's enclosure, how are people to do this?

Just a thought: You mentioned he was getting dehydrated quite easily and we used to use the same substrate, we found it tended to absorb a lot of the moisture in the air inside the enclosure. It also would raise a fair bit of dust, so we ended up changing to butcher paper, then to this carpety stuff (don't really know a good way to describe it, kind of like a cross between astroturf and suede, but it's brilliant for a quick clean with a wet 'n' dry vac + a spray of F10...) mainly because it gave us a few concerns about both dehydration and breathing in/swallowing particles from the cat litter resulting in impaction or RI.
I know you said the original breeder recommended it for substrate, and a lot of people use it with little to no ill-effects, but I just thought you may like to know if dehydration is still an issue.
Other than that he's not looking as bad as I thought, but then again I can't see how he moves. Again, good luck :)

Yeah, without seeing how he moves and acts, I agree that he looks okay in the photos. That hole looks pretty nasty, but as long as it's not getting bigger or looking worse, there's still plenty of hope left.

Aladdin is a nice snake, Jacinta. I hope he gets better for you. When I mentioned the Jacobson's organ, it was only to illustrate that there could be any number of reasons why your snake won't eat. As others have said, feeding is not important for now. If a human didn't eat while sick, it would be a worry. For a snake, it's not that big a deal. The two species have completely different metabolisms.

Let us know how you go with the new vet.

HYDRATE
Use a powerade type energy supplement drink
10% ade 90% water
Any of the energy drinks will do the same thing
Gatorade is usually not as sticky as some others
But all use practically identical recipes where the energy bits count

Usually I immerse the entire reptile and leave it to soak and drink as long as its happy in there
With the hole in the side I am not sure about how to go about it
It all depends on whether or not the hole goes right through to organs or gut cavity
If you think it may go through, use a wet sponge instead and avoid the hole getting too wet
You can also add powerade etc to its water or syringe some into it [about 1 snakes head of ade is enough, so it varies from snake to snake depending on their head size]

Rest and recuperation now
Best thing out to let them recover

Silverzine florazine etc all work on wounds

Ah, Longqi. Excellent. I was hoping you'd pop up eventually. :)

Thank you to everyone with all the new advice. :) you have no idea how much i appreciate all the helpful info you are all sharing :) :) :)
I have photos in my profile taken of Aladdin today.
His dry skin is looking so much better than a week ago, he is moving more but spending 90% of his time under his house on his heat mat. When I soak him he is now moving a lot. and after his soaking I put him back in his enclosure he looks around for 20mins then goes back to his house and heat mat.
His eyes are still clear, I have physically seen him have some big drinks which is great :)
his hole is not getting bigger or worse. I have been putting betadine on but as of today have now stopped as suggested. it is not looking any better either though :(

Thank you to the sincere people who are concerned I'm hoping he is on the mend.
I am going to call a few new people and Vet I have been given numbers for tomorrow.

Thank you
Jacinta

betadine may actually kill new cell growth
thats why it looks the same

they take a LOOOONG time to heal because of their slow metabolisms
so if its drinking etc its probably going to be fine
just dont panic too much

a gut infection etc would have made itself very clear by now
so peritonitis etc can most probably be crossed off your list

betadine may actually kill new cell growth
thats why it looks the same

they take a LOOOONG time to heal because of their slow metabolisms
so if its drinking etc its probably going to be fine
just dont panic too much

a gut infection etc would have made itself very clear by now
so peritonitis etc can most probably be crossed off your list

Do you know what symptoms peritonitis would show?

Those photos uploaded today disturbed me. I'm glad I didn't see what it was like previously.

Sorry they disturb you, that was not my intention.
He is not as dry as he was but the hole was no worse. it has not really changed much. Hoping it will start eating better now with all the good advice i am getting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back