vegetarians and vegans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how am i clueless...i understand and know alot about animals and the livestock industry in australia. I said the animals SHOULD NOT be transported to other countries while still alive. They are put through so much....mistreated etc only to be slaughtered when they get there. If other countries want meat well bad luck they should have the poor thing put down before hand.... not put on a boat. The Australian livestock industry is a joke....they want money..most of them don't care about the animals well being..fair few do

Have you ever worked on a farm, sweetie? I agreed with you as to the treatment of animals in other countries, but your perception of the livestock industry in Australia is not correct. It is for profit, but that doesn't mean the animals are treated poorly.

Ever heard of Jap-Ox or Korean-Ox? Two of our biggest export markets, they get sent over dressed.

Haha nah I mean the member named Earthling. I'm sure the name was inspired by that movie though. I was challenged to watch it all the way though and it was upsetting but once again, I have to have faith that the rules and regulations stop that level of torture occurring in this country

lol nice. If you've got a weak constitution I suggest skipping the section with the dairy farm video

He's a great $h1t talker, I like his style. I'm gunna watch the whole thing. Reminds me of myself, very opinionated. I love public speaking.

I wouldn't say i've worked on a farm but i grew up on one when i was younger. And people like to believe that the animals are looked after. That isn't the case..and i can fight this one :p because i do know alot about it. My friends dad went over to korea and let's just say the slaughterhouses there are horrid. I didn't say everyone mistreats them but the majority of them do. it's all about money money money not about looking after the animals.

I may only be 23 but i've dedicated alot of my life to looking after animals and reading into animal cruelty. It's something i am very passionate about

there used to be a member on aps called earthling hun.

sorry saximus beat me to it.

haha sorry i didn't realise :p

What about your animals? Do you think it's cruel to keep them in a 4ft box when they would be roaming free in the wild? (this is the question that Earthling asked so many times that he was kindly asked to stop)

I do agree that it's cruel! I have a dog and cat that pretty much run my house. I saved my turtle from near dead so he is now living in luxury.my three beardies are in the process of getting a massive enclosure built..about the size of my room. They are spoilt. And of the beardies was also saved from near death. he wasn't looking after and was really sick

whoops near death ***

i think i am a little special today..a lot of spelling mistakes. think i need to go back to bed

I wouldn't say i've worked on a farm but i grew up on one when i was younger. And people like to believe that the animals are looked after. That isn't the case..and i can fight this one :p because i do know alot about it. My friends dad went over to korea and let's just say the slaughterhouses there are horrid. I didn't say everyone mistreats them but the majority of them do. it's all about money money money not about looking after the animals.

I may only be 23 but i've dedicated alot of my life to looking after animals and reading into animal cruelty. It's something i am very passionate about

This really frustrates me... I have AGREED with you in regards to other countries, yet you keep arguing with me on this point, when we share the same view?

Livestock in Australia aren't mistreated anymore than the average pet dog. I've worked on farms, I've bred meat cattle and I've shown cattle. You haven't worked on a farm, or seen a grain fed animal obviously.

Let me ask you this, if a 6-700 kg steer was mistreated, do you think it would be possible to give it a pat? Keep in mind, this is an animal that can run away, or kick the F out of you if it's confined. There ARE some exceptions, and some old school farmers that are cruel, but the industry as a whole (within Australia) is humane. It doesn't matter how old you are, you don't have to be old to present a good argument, you're older than me.

You obviously haven't read my posts at all, or you haven't been able to comprehend what I've attempted to convey, because I'm in agreement with you about the overseas livestock industries, yet you argue with me about it?

1248516734649.jpg

Yummy yummy pork.

lol the guy in that video I posted attempts to. He also says that our digestive tract length suggests that we're herbivores. That's one of those points I disagree with but as far as I know it still hasn't been proven scientifically for either case

there used to be a member on aps called earthling hun.

sorry saximus beat me to it.

I think earthling is still around on here as i offen seen his member tag up !!!

beardielove - i too saw the doco last nite on four corners about the treatment of livestock and it was appalling the way they treat live stock and food.

i felt for the animals on the show when being tripped over and brutally abused by handlers i dont think any human would not feel for these great animals !

how they would whip and and bash the cattle and hearing the cattle ( moo ) back and i agreed with the commentry about the cattle appearedto yell WHY !

any human that watch last nites program should be ashamed of themselves by the way our livestock gets treated !!!!

haha interesting thread.

I agree meat is a necessary part of the human diet; I wouldn't encourage a child become a vegetarian until after puberty. I am, however, a vegetarian myself, and have been for quite a few years. If anyone who is a vego wants some awesome recipes, I have a few you might be interested in, and if you guys have any to share with me that would also be appreciated :D I love new meal ideas!

oh, and how sad is earthlings :'(

lol the guy in that video I posted attempts to. He also says that our digestive tract length suggests that we're herbivores. That's one of those points I disagree with but as far as I know it still hasn't been proven scientifically for either case

The part of the video showing the slaughtering is disgusting. I watched it, but it distressed me. I still say animals that are slaughtered correctly don't go through that. The slaughter houses I've been to have the animals knocked before anything happens to them.

The CRUEL areas of the industry (like the majority of the OS industries) and the odd sadistic farmer here needs to be stopped. There are right ways to do things, and the livestock that I worked with were happy little chaps :)

This really frustrates me... I have AGREED with you in regards to other countries, yet you keep arguing with me on this point, when we share the same view?

Livestock in Australia aren't mistreated anymore than the average pet dog. I've worked on farms, I've bred meat cattle and I've shown cattle. You haven't worked on a farm, or seen a grain fed animal obviously.

Let me ask you this, if a 6-700 kg steer was mistreated, do you think it would be possible to give it a pat? Keep in mind, this is an animal that can run away, or kick the F out of you if it's confined. There ARE some exceptions, and some old school farmers that are cruel, but the industry as a whole (within Australia) is humane. It doesn't matter how old you are, you don't have to be old to present a good argument, you're older than me.

You obviously haven't read my posts at all, or you haven't been able to comprehend what I've attempted to convey, because I'm in agreement with you about the overseas livestock industries, yet you argue with me about it?

Of course i am going to argue with you when i don't agree. you don't agree with me so that's why you keep writing back yes? And i am VERY aware of the animal cruelty that goes on with all animals..not just livestock. We were just talking about cows etc that is why i didn't mention dogs, cats, seals etc. And you say the slaughterhouses you have been too don't mistreat their animals...well that is the ones you have seen..you don't know what goes on at every single slaughterhouse.It has been proven time and time again (watching interviews with people who work at the slaughterhouses) that they don't really care what happens to the animals. whatever is cheaper...and slitting their throat (most of the time with a blunt knife) is the cheapest way to kill them. Then it takes minutes for them to bleed out and choke..painful death...

whatever is cheaper...and slitting their throat (most of the time with a blunt knife) is the cheapest way to kill them. Then it takes minutes for them to bleed out and choke..painful death...
That's not correct. The most efficient (and therefore cheapest) would be a sharp knife that does the job in the first cut and allows the animal to bleed out quickly. Also on the choking thing, as I said before, they are rendered brain dead before the throats are cut. That's the law. You're right that it doesn't happen everywhere but if they are following the rules they have to.

...It has been proven time and time again (watching interviews with people who work at the slaughterhouses) that they don't really care what happens to the animals. whatever is cheaper...and slitting their throat (most of the time with a blunt knife) is the cheapest way to kill them. Then it takes minutes for them to bleed out and choke..painful death...

*to the tune of another one bites the dust*
duh duh duh The media strikes again... duh duh duh the media strikes again

i know that is the most efficient way but in saying that..it doesn't mean that it happens that way. If the knife isn't really sharp..do you think they are going to care? If you can work in a slaughterhouse and slit all of these animals throats i don't think you would really care how they die anyway

Of course i am going to argue with you when i don't agree. you don't agree with me so that's why you keep writing back yes? And i am VERY aware of the animal cruelty that goes on with all animals..not just livestock. We were just talking about cows etc that is why i didn't mention dogs, cats, seals etc. And you say the slaughterhouses you have been too don't mistreat their animals...well that is the ones you have seen..you don't know what goes on at every single slaughterhouse.It has been proven time and time again (watching interviews with people who work at the slaughterhouses) that they don't really care what happens to the animals. whatever is cheaper...and slitting their throat (most of the time with a blunt knife) is the cheapest way to kill them. Then it takes minutes for them to bleed out and choke..painful death...

Do you know how to read? I am in agreement with you....

I don't know what goes on at EVERY slaughterhouse, but my posts say that the dodgy ones need to be shut down. Strict monitoring of farms and slaughter houses needs to be implemented. I also say that the pathetic people that torture animals overseas deserve to die.

Why would they use a blunt knife? That's so ridiculous.

I ask you to go back and read each one of my posts. I am in agreement with you with almost everything, except for the fact that you naively tar EVERY area of the industry with the same brush.

Sax - I'm keen to maybe try being a vegan, after all the health benefits this guy listed. I'll be looking it up to see if they're 100% true. If my energy levels are the same, and I'm healthier it might be worth it. Not sure how I'll go not eating meat at all though, I might be a fake vegan and eat it, but make the majority of my meals vegan style, lol.

*to the tune of another one bites the dust*
duh duh duh The media strikes again... duh duh duh the media strikes again

Yeah, i don't think so. I don't go by what the media says. I know enough without having to watch the news or videos.

Do you know how to read? I am in agreement with you....

I don't know what goes on at EVERY slaughterhouse, but my posts say that the dodgy ones need to be shut down. Strict monitoring of farms and slaughter houses needs to be implemented. I also say that the pathetic people that torture animals overseas deserve to die.

Why would they use a blunt knife? That's so ridiculous.

I ask you to go back and read each one of my posts. I am in agreement with you with almost everything, except for the fact that you naively tar EVERY area of the industry with the same brush.

Sax - I'm keen to maybe try being a vegan, after all the health benefits this guy listed. I'll be looking it up to see if they're 100% true. If my energy levels are the same, and I'm healthier it might be worth it. Not sure how I'll go not eating meat at all though, I might be a fake vegan and eat it, but make the majority of my meals vegan style, lol.

no need to be rude.. i'm not an idiot i know how to read.

One of my vege friends told me you really do get increased energy levels for the first little while but then after a year or so it drops. She said most of her friends encountered the same thing when they converted
Yeah, i don't think so. I don't go by what the media says. I know enough without having to watch the news or videos.
You just contradicted yourself - "It has been proven time and time again (watching interviews with people who work at the slaughterhouses) that they don't really care what happens..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back