Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well just coming back from the school camp I have a new found hatred of ticks and leeches.
Especially ticks. I want those things wiped of the face of this planet *shudders*
Im still freaking out worrying I may have one on me that I havent noticed, and am especially paranoid (probably too paranoid) that I may have a paralysis tick (which yes can be dangerous to humans)

Lol I am in the same boat...I love hiking but their just so damn scary and annoying! Especially when you find one and then you freak out and search frantically for awhile thinking their are more on you...Scary stuff

If I lived in Africa I would be absurdly afraid of Mosquitoes

Elephantiasis Afflicts 120 Million in Africa, Asia - YouTube

To be quite honest I agree, probably more that I don't like America that much. A lot of the people I met were nice though. But that might just be people from NY.

The people in the Northern states are generally much friendlier and a lot less "oorah America is the greatest thing ever...every other country sucks and is inferior"...People from the north tend to be more respectful and tolerant of other countries/cultures..

Canadians are for the most part nicer through and more willing to help at-least from my limited experience...They seemed very friendly.

Last edited:
Well just coming back from the school camp I have a new found hatred of ticks and leeches.
Especially ticks. I want those things wiped of the face of this planet *shudders*
Im still freaking out worrying I may have one on me that I havent noticed, and am especially paranoid (probably too paranoid) that I may have a paralysis tick (which yes can be dangerous to humans)

I went out bush yesterday, I keep feeling itchy but haven't checked for ticks yet, you always find them when you least expect them :lol:

don't be too worried about them, you have your whole lifetime to get ticks on you yet :)

as for leeches, just wait till you feel something wet and slimy on your groin area when walking..............then you can complain ;)

Just move to NZ...

No ticks (unless you're susceptible to cattle tick which was imported from Australia), no leeches (well, there's leeches, but none that will attack humans).... No dengue, malaria... No venomous spiders (except imported Aussie ones)... No toads.

Still have geckos, skinks and lizards! Plenty of frogs...

I thought there was a venomous spider in NZ that lives in the dunes, not introduced but native? The Katipo.

I remember reading on the news some months ago about a nude sunbathing tourist who got bitten on his penis...........make tht a year ago, god time flies

Katipo bite

Also doesn't New Zealand only have 4 native frog species and 3 introduced?
Admittedly they are some cool species, but I didn't think they occured in high densities.

If people moved to New Zealand everyone would be on this forum complaining about the lack of snakes and their most disliked animal being the Wetta or Brushtail :lol:

It's a lovely place to go though, just a shame you've got so many ferals :(

Last edited:
Just move to NZ...

No ticks (unless you're susceptible to cattle tick which was imported from Australia), no leeches (well, there's leeches, but none that will attack humans).... No dengue, malaria... No venomous spiders (except imported Aussie ones)... No toads.

Still have geckos, skinks and lizards! Plenty of frogs...

And the cattle ticks are only found in the North Island and not the South Island right??

Damn NZ sounds amazing lol...Oddly enough I don't mind leeches to much....They seem to be the most "noble" of the blood sucking extoparasites...I've never heard of one transmitting a disease( but I know some people are allergic to their saliva) and they have their uses in medicine..And plus for some reason they don't freak me alot that much where as ticks are scary as hell.

Maybe their alot worse outside of where I'm from but in the east coast US they aren't to bad.

If people moved to New Zealand everyone would be on this forum complaining about the lack of snakes and their most disliked animal being the Wetta or Brushtail :lol:

Yeah but they got that alpine Kea parrot which is the coolest bird ever.

I thought there was a venomous spider in NZ that lives in the dunes, not introduced but native? The Katipo.

I remember reading on the news some months ago about a nude sunbathing tourist who got bitten on his penis...........make tht a year ago, god time flies

Katipo bite

Also doesn't New Zealand only have 4 native frog species and 3 introduced?
Admittedly they are some cool species, but I didn't think they occured in high densities.

It's a lovely place to go though, just a shame you've got so many ferals :(

Isn't the katipo just an NZ redback? Same family - but no where near as venomous... I've never seen one... But I've seen plenty of white tails.

I remember the penis bite - funny as! Well, not for him - but funny as for the rest of the world!

As for frogs - I've seen only one frog in my entire time in NZ - but... I heard about 4 million!!! When driving back through the Hurunui District one night - I stopped for a relief stop - I couldn't believe my ears! You couldn't hear anything but the call of frogs!

Geckos - plenty of them - never seen one in the wild - but the jewelled gecko is the most prized of the gecks amongst collectors - they're becoming a bit rare....

Ferals - so many bloody australians here - you all complain about the kiwis - we complain about the possums and the wallabies destroying our native forests!

mmafan - yes, no ticks in the South Island - it's a tick for the tick free island!

Not many places (other than Antarctica) ca n boast about being tick free!

We'll take back our possums if you take back your kiwi's :lol:

but in all seriousness the feral problem in New Zealand is probably much worse then Australia, it's a real shame to see such a fantastic environment being ravaged and the species living there decimated from the possums, stoats, ferrets, weasels, wallabies, deer, rats, have you got foxes or cats? any major ones I missed?

I would guess the katipo probably comes between the black widow and the red back in terms of venom, but that's just a guess.

As for the geckos, I love the jewelled geckos from NZ, I remember seeing them at Orana Wildlife park in Chirstchurch and possible that aquarium and kiwi encounter in the centre of Christchurch, such fantastic colours and habits.

This moose would agree

Ticks Can Kill Moose? - YouTube

mmafan - yes, no ticks in the South Island - it's a tick for the tick free island!

Not many places (other than Antarctica) ca n boast about being tick free!

Yeah thats another thing that annoys me about them...their so damn successful...I mean Christ their are so many different types of ticks living everywhere that pretty much feed off of every animal...Thank god for that Guinea Fowl bird of Africa...that thing is my new favorite animal.

Even places that you would expect to be tick free aren't...The Scandinavian countries like Sweden for instance have a ridiculous load of ticks despite being so cold...Canada has a ridiculous amount to and only the really northern parts of Canada are tick free.

Alaska is mostly tick free through( thank God).....Only the extreme south east tail of land that is connected to British Columbia has ticks( like Ketchikan, Juneau etc) and I don't think it has many/any that go after large animals like Humans....The rest of Alaska is completely tick free.

So I guess its New Zealand or Alaska!

I wonder if ticks could survive in an extreme hot desert environment? Like the Sahara or the Gobi or the Outback.

Last edited:
So I guess its New Zealand or Alaska!

I wonder if ticks could survive in an extreme hot desert environment? Like the Sahara or the Gobi or the Outback.

Camel Tick?

NZ doesn't have camels either :) And it's warmer than Canada or Sweden... And has better safeguards from invaders too... I know where I'd choose :)

Camel Tick?

Meh :x :x....I don't see how they could exist in an extreme desert like the Sahara through..Theirs like no vegetation and its extremely dry( dont ticks like humid/wet weather?) How could they do their usual climb up vegetation and then attach to a passing animal trick in the Sahara?

NZ doesn't have camels either :) And it's warmer than Canada or Sweden... And has better safeguards from invaders too... I know where I'd choose :)

But does NZ have the hot Swedish blonds? Canada has to many ticks and plus they are not to fond of us Americans :(

Alaska or New Zealand it is for my tick free living! Hopefully they will both stay that way!

Meh :x :x....I don't see how they could exist in an extreme desert like the Sahara through..Theirs like no vegetation and its extremely dry( dont ticks like humid/wet weather?) How could they do their usual climb up vegetation and then attach to a passing animal trick in the Sahara?

But does NZ have the hot Swedish blonds? Canada has to many ticks and plus they are not to fond of us Americans :(

Alaska or New Zealand it is for my tick free living! Hopefully they will both stay that way!

My partner is Swedish, she's hot... Not blonde though... But hot! And in NZ :)

What do you call a bogan on the moon? A problem
What do you call a hundred bogans on the moon? Still a problem
What do you call a million bogans on the moon? STILL a problem
What do you call ALL the bogans on the moon? Problem solved

I'm phobic of rats. Go figure. :|

And after a handful of trips to ER for cat bites I'm not too fond of them either. Which I don't keep, but work with. Every week. Tens of them. :x

What do you call a bogan on the moon? A problem
What do you call a hundred bogans on the moon? Still a problem
What do you call a million bogans on the moon? STILL a problem
What do you call ALL the bogans on the moon? Problem solved
Wasn't there a movie about that called Sometimes They Come Back

I hate seagulls, ever since I saw one chase down a duckling and swallow it whole. Now I call them bastard birds and I have vowed never to feed one a chip ever again. That vow was broken on the weekend for a second but only as I forgot. It is on again now.

I'm terrified of fish... won't eat them, touch them, go close to them, anything. Actually make that anything from the ocean. It took me years to build myself up to actually putting my own prawn on a hook to go fishing. I can't take my own fish off the hook, which gets really annoying for whoever I'm fishing with. When snorkelling, I won't go by myself, I have to have someone with me, and if there is fish near me I wave my hands frantically in front of my face and kick my legs so they don't come near me. Hypothetically, if I had pet goldfish, and one jumped out of the tank, I can't see it getting put back in.

Anyway all this makes my life really hard because I work on boats. I've been chased around boats by crew members holding massive cray's, screaming in terror with 25 guests watching and laughing their asses off. And that's my story of the animals I don't like :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back