What happens when a WOMA and a BALL python get intimate, you get a WALL

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlothHead

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I think the title says it all, but it raises some interesting questions.

Firstly if they have indeed successfully mated a woma with a ball. I would have to then wonder whether the offspring produced are viable. Since the definition of a species is two animals that can mate and produce a viable offspring, this would then have to question some of the taxa currently around.

Secondly, and more importantly, is this the future of the Australian Herp market. HYBRIDISATION, MORPHS, etc, basically designer animals. Yes many animals look really nice. But there are plenty of people out there interested in these animals for private collections as a way to ensure species survival. Captive breeding programs are vitally important for some species, and would certainly have to be maintained, which would then also beg the question, with everyone breeding "freaks of Nature" then the valuable animals would therefore be the local specific endemic animals. Thus the cyclical nature of "fashion"

Attachments

• the wall.jpg
    the wall.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 393
Since the definition of a species is two animals that can mate and produce a viable offspring, this would then have to question some of the taxa currently around.

Are you sure that is a correct definition? There are plenty of different species that when bred together will produce viable offspring. For example species in the Antaresia genus, and the Morelia genus (i.e. GTP's x Carpets).

that was the original definition, now... who the hell knows?

Mr. B is right, although what you wrote is the most widely accepted and simplistic view the species concept is actually a lot more complicated than that definition and with many exceptions etc.
Edit: before anyone pulls me up, I worded that sentence very badly :lol:
Bredli84 summarised it a lot better ;)

Last edited:
Yeah that is the correct definition, there is a reason for it..... the reason why they can produce viable offspring .

It is just a confusion of terms is all, i was just playing with a bit of tongue in cheek to raise the issue of correct indentification the real issue is the second point

Looks like an ugly bredli to me ;) regaurdless, i think it's ugly!

as far as the looks are concerned i havent decided if i like it yet, it is kinda strange looking

I think it looks nice, but I don't agree with it.

ok those people that say they like it would you therefore own it? ie. spend the money on buying and raising it?

If it wasnt stupidly expensive, yes...(and stupidly expensive for a pet snake is, in my mind, anything more than a couple of grand - Though for that much I would expect full family history records, certification and initial vet check up all included in the price)...

And yes, GTPs are hideously overpriced!

As nice as it looks, I wouldn't own it, no. Not for the money factor either, I'd rather keep the snakes in my collection "pure".

It's a nice snake, but I wouldn't keep it, simply because hybrids are wrong.

I peronally wouldn't waste time, money or effort on somthing like that, if your going to make hybrids make them nice looking ;) lols! i think its ugly! although i've said it, i want to say it again :D

Secondly, and more importantly, is this the future of the Australian Herp market.

Of course it's the future! what else would all the retarded, dribbling morons that condone this sort of unethical practice do? Basically if you come from a family of inbreeds that have been line and selectively bred for stupidity this is the way to go! You can have freak pets that mimmick the whole family, they do say that owners look like their pets!
That's why I'm as pure as the driven snow ;)

Love your quote there nvenm8. Made me laugh and I needed one today. Freezer hey,, is like my saying.. submerse till blue haha!!

I think it's all well and good to say you wouldn't keep them, until it becomes legal one day (may or may not) then I think it will be like a bandwagon.

I like that snake, would I own one? probably, if it was legal.

There is nothing stopping hybrids and keeping pure bloodlines, look at the dogs going now, tell me everyone on here has a pure dog or cat only. (no cat comments please!)

If we had the reptiles that they do in America we would all want and or have them, if we didn't then there would be no market here for exotics like there is now.

slothhead is right, that is how species are definded. Why the anteresia and morelia groups can produce viable young when bred together is because they are the same species but are also sub-species.

IMO pure balls and pure womas look far far better than those ugly mongrel looking pieces of rubbish. Definitley not my cup of tea, or the morals behind the breeding of these sort of animals. The people who do this imo should be hassled out of the hobby/industry, their should be laws against such behavior. IMO they are completely useless herpers that do nothing for the hobby/industry at all, dosnt matter what country they come from.
Bunch of numnuts i recon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back