Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which means that you've been keeping herps for longer than they've been born and are in
a position to help if you feel like it.
I mean , what did you really think you'd learn on here today s.t ?

Yes that's true, i have been keeping for many years, and if you go through all my posts since i joined in 2004 you'll find i've given out loads of good info to other herpers, but after a while you tend to get tired of answering the same questions again and again.

The last thread that interested me was hazzards Lace Monitor study thread. But before this i can't remember the last time a thread interested me, and everyday (today included) i get on here hoping for similar threads as hazzards.....threads that actually teach about the animals behaviour.

Or people that'll tell 'em it's stupid to use a click-clack :)

I really don't like the long term use of plastic,
So my opinion is there stupid - others on the other hand as stated think there the best thing since slided bread.
We all have different options.

Oh and people who think click clacks are stupid - how dare they say that - lol:rolleyes:

Where's your generosity of spirit 'experts' ?
I've travelled all over the world for the last 25 years delivering master-classes in my area of expertise and constantly answer stupid questions --- these people are kids & in my opinion it's
better that they're asking some questions about beardies than smashing-up telephone booths
or sniffing petrol.
High horses make me sick.

all the experienced people dont need to reply, people with no knoweledge usually reply before they get the chance, like in skink IDs they call it a legless lizard when its clearly a verranaux skink and stupid stuff like that

I remember hearing a good quote........"It's better to ask stupid questions than to make stupid mistakes"!

It's a fine balance I think, after you have been in the herp game for a while the basic questions like my spotted hasn't eaten for 2 days, what do I do? may seem a bit mundane, but hey, we all started with no knowledge and should be encouraging the younger folk by answering those sort of questions so they too can learn.

I agree, the search function should be used more by some, and I have suggested that at times, for example there's been several show us pics of your bredli thread recently.

Anyway, let's not ostracize our younger enthusiasts, they're the future of this great hobby and I would rather them ask 'stupid' questions, if that's what you want to call them and as a result keep their herps in better conditions, than not to ask and have their herps suffer.

I can see it happening that in years to come this will be a community full of un founded knowledge and no experience. I hate that thought.

Seems a post count means more than actual experience these days, sometimes at the expence of common sense...

I agree seems like the people with 100000+ posts in less than a year think they are better qualified than the "average joe" And every time you respond to a question/post with an opinion the "arm chair vets" (as another member wisely quoted) come out flaming! Also it's getting increasingly harder to find any decent posts these days... However, there is still quiet a few intelligent people around offering fantastic advice ;)

I can see it happening that in years to come this will be a community full of un founded knowledge and no experience. I hate that thought.

Why do you have that thought that you can see in years to come ?
Why wouldn't you assume that a 14 yr old asking a 'dumb' question now will be an excellent
herpetologist in 5 or 10 years time ?

I think its good that there is a good age variation on here and its true that they are not out there smashing windows, damaging other peoples property and generally running a muck. These forums are all about advice discussions and sharing experiences on the one thing we all love....Herps. Sometimes the search feature is a bit hard to find an exact answer(unless you want to cycle through 100 threads!!) to the question you require and i see no harm in people asking a question that MAY of been answered in a post 6 months ago. If you dont like the post its not hard to read it and then exit instead of offering tongue in cheek advice.

But we shouldnt get this turned into an age debate and wether people have the right to post and offer advice. The forum is for the benefit of everyone and lately some people have been a bit harsh in replys to threads started by the younger generation who are trying to learn and gain all the knowledge they can. :D

My 2c anyway. ;)

It's a fine balance I think, after you have been in the herp game for a while the basic questions like my spotted hasn't eaten for 2 days, what do I do? may seem a bit mundane, but hey, we all started with no knowledge and should be encouraging the younger folk by answering those sort of questions so they too can learn.

I agree, the search function should be used more by some, and I have suggested that at times, for example there's been several show us pics of your bredli thread recently.

Anyway, let's not ostracize our younger enthusiasts, they're the future of this great hobby and I would rather them ask 'stupid' questions, if that's what you want to call them and as a result keep their herps in better conditions, than not to ask and have their herps suffer.

Spot on Mrmikk well said ;).

i fully agree with this.
i am a noob and without this site i would be lost!!
so get off your high horse, because those stupid questions are really helping. i need to know those stupid things... i dont have anyone else that i could get the answers off. if it helps me keep im snake healthy then why would you not want to give advice. when i am knowledgable i would be more than happy to answer stupid questions if it helps someone or puts their mind at ease. you veterans should be happy that you can make a difference not complaining that all these noobie questions are anoying. you are the ones that set the bench mark for us future snake keepers and how we should keep them. so if i were you i wouldnt complain when people are looking up to you and wanting to hear what you want to say!
:) :)

so if i were you i wouldnt complain when people are looking up to you and wanting to hear what you want to say!
:) :)

Its people not listening, or only taking on what they want to hear, thats the problem.

And those damn name my snake threads. :|

A field herping forum would help add some more mature content also.

No matter where you are you'll get stupid questions. I work with some of the smartest people in the world and you should see some of the questions they ask sometimes (we have secrataries with PhDs). It's doesn't mean they are stupid, they're just existing in an alternate reality at times. How they perceive things and how normal people do can be considerably different at times.

This site would be a boring old place if we waited for the "experts" to answer. When are you considered an expert, after being a site member for 1 year, 10 years, 20 years??? Some people who are relatively new members to site have decades of experience keeping herps. Does this make them experts or novices? Lack of tolerance IMO is a far less desirable trait than lack of knowledge.

the forum would be better if they changed the way it was set out, like a section called noob questions, reptle id, wild reptile photography, geckos, skinks, snake, for sale, chit chat etc. thats just my opinion tho as it would make it work much easier

Why do you have that thought that you can see in years to come ?
Why wouldn't you assume that a 14 yr old asking a 'dumb' question now will be an excellent
herpetologist in 5 or 10 years time ?

Just an observation really. When was the last time you saw a post from Rodger Lester on here? Those founding members just seem to not be interested anymore. I and many others can understand why.

Some 10-14yr olds no more about reptiles then some of the other older members so there not that bad. Isn't it good younger people are joining, means younger people are getting into the hobby. I was about 5 or 6 when i got interested.

Ive tried using the search before but i never get the right thing I'm looking for. Wouldn't the forum be boring if every one just used the search and didn't ask questions. Its good that people are asking questions about their reptile even if its been answered lots of times before. If you just told them to use the search they might not find the info they want and it could harm the reptile.

We probably all asked silly questions before. Some forums are NICE and say no questions a silly questions even if its been asked before.

If you dont like people posting things that have been asked before just ignore it if you dont like it.

It's easy to understand why people wouldn't want to post replies or offer advice on here anymore.

Just take the recent example of one of our most experienced and respected breeders being asked for "scientific theory" and "study results" to "prove" what he said was true.

If the comments and opinions of one of our best, with a lifetime of experience is still questioned, why would other experienced people, or anybody, even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back