Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asukhramani

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

i am new to this site and snake as well. i have not bought a snake yet as i am very confused what should i buy as a beginner.
I actually need something which is good in size and not agressive, easy to hold and haddle.
Can someone please suggests me what should i buy and from where ?

thanks Amit

Where are you located? also have you applied for your licence yet?
When you mean good in size do you mean large or small some people view good sizes differently,
Generally any Antaresia are good for beguiners if you only want a small python, temperament comes down to the individual snake so best to find a good breeder and hold befor you purchase that whay you can see temperament for yourself.

Any non-venomous species can be easy to handle
Everything depends on you getting the slitherer to trust you
Once they trust you they are just like any other animal

There are several smaller snakes out there such as childrens pythons and some of the smaller jungles and womas
Everything depends on two things
What you want as a snake 'looker afterer' regarding size etc??
Do you want a 'pretty' snake??

As a first snake I would avoid Green Tree Pythons as they can be a bit tricky as a first one
If you want a bigger snake go for a Carpet Python or a Black Headed Python
Olives are cool but grow pretty big quickly

My personal choice would be a black and gold Palmerston Jungle Python
They are cheap, gorgeous, not too big and tame down easily

In the sale section here are lots of great sellers
Try to find one close to home so you can actually go and see the snakes before you buy one
Every snake is slightly different
So choose the one that feels right just like choosing a dog

Hi and welcome can be a bit duanting geting your first snake so many to choose from it depends on a few things as well as your personal preference if you want a small snake like a stimmie or something larger like a coatal both are not aggressive I only keep large snakes though I have coastals there great to handle beautiful snakes but some are very fussy eaters but most are fine once you get your wildlife keepers licence and you have the right set up new home for your new snake you can search the for sale section on this site best to buy private pet stores charge extra depending on where you are

Just do some research and get what you like. My first Python was a MurrayDarling, and he was really easy to care for. I reckon they're great for when you're on your L'plates :)

mate, do a search above ^ , because you will be flamed if you dont anyways, in my opinion, a coastal carpet seems like what you are after and they are also cheap and easy to obtain

just thought id add, be ready to be bitten, because at some point along the line you will most likely be bitten, no matter the snake you end up getting

i agree with reptilekev. my first one was a big jungle and i find her a bit scary still, 2nd is a baby md and shes a dream. has never even once looked like striking me, oh except when i feed her. then shes a bit all over the place... lol

I started with Diamonds but if you want small go a Childrens (1-1.5m), if you want larger then go a Murray Darling or a Coastal Carpet Python (2.5-3m+).

Aaaaand......Welcome.:)

Hello Again,

thanks to all for the sugesstions.
after looking all the answer and reading abt different types of snakes, i have norrowed by search to the following snake:
1) jungle python
2)spotted python
and the
2) carpet python.

Now i need to read abt their nature, as i am looking for clam nature, although i now it all depends, but as my first snake, i dont want to rush and get something which will bite me everyday.
Can anyone suggest me out of those three, which is really the best one.

thanks
Amit

Good choices but a jungle is a subspecies of carpet python. I would suggest any carpet python as a first snake but you should prepare to be bitten when they are young. But if you handle them often then it should calm down before it gets big enough to actually hurt you. My first and only snake is my jungle carpet python which bit me heaps when I bought her but now 6 month later she is friendly as a butterfly. But I think all carpets will calm down with regular handling just research them all and choose one that suits u, like colour and size

Jungle pythons have a notorious rep for being bitey. You can't really generalise since all snakes will have different personalities and there are exceptions to every rule, just keep in mind that unless you are lucky to get a good-natured one, prepare to be tagged a few times in the beginning. Spotted Pythons seem relatively easy to keep from what I've seen here, but I can't go past the Murray Darling carpet. My first one really was a darling! And I guess I've got a really big soft spot for the MD's :D

Last edited:
my first was a jungle python, back when i got it i was a little nerves to hold it and never ended up holding it, all the jungles iv had are snappy little buggers same as spotteds but as everyone else has been saying all snakes are different, id go a bhp hatchie

I'd go with a Bredli or MD. Also, if you're quite concerned with being bitten, I'd look for a yearling rather than a hatchling (as you never know what you'll be getting). Any breed of snake can be calm, and any breed of snake can be nasty. Find one whose looks you like, is a size you can accommodate, and obtain from a reputable breeder (plenty on this site) who can tell you about the nature of the particular snake you want to purchase.

I'd go for a Woma personally.

My young female is just so darn placid and she isn't going to grow into a huge snake, eats anything that's offered and is pretty much bomb proof.

She's a wonderful ambassador for not only her species but for reptiles in general. I've had quite a few nervous people handle her who suddenly become smitten with the idea of having a python of their own.

Also, if you're quite concerned with being bitten, I'd look for a yearling rather than a hatchling

This is what I did recently, mine is a Jungle. She has fed extremely well, hasn't looked like biting me... yet ;)

Someone else suggested you do some research, this is good advice.

I'd go for a Woma personally.

My young female is just so darn placid and she isn't going to grow into a huge snake, eats anything that's offered and is pretty much bomb proof.

She's a wonderful ambassador for not only her species but for reptiles in general. I've had quite a few nervous people handle her who suddenly become smitten with the idea of having a python of their own.

Yea, my girl has calmed down considerably over the last couple of weeks with persistent handling.

For something small, Antaresia.. For something a bit bigger, Woma.. they have so much personality.
I love the big puppy dog eyes, and the way they slither.. Or when they get defensive and gape at you.

I love the way the Woma looks! I was so close to getting one, I loved the orange stripes, reminds me of a tiger, hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back