Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraser888

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have two Coastal that I hope to be breeding next season, and im just wondering what the hatchlings will look like. I am hopeing they will get Dad's colours, and mum's patterns. We will have to wait and see. But what do you think?

This is the female:
Femalecoastal.jpg

This is the male:
P6150123.jpg

Thanks guys tell me what you think
P.S. sorry about the female pic. Will get better ones later.

I think you will be going backwards.The idea of selective breeding is to improve/enhance a certain look.By producing offspring from those two you are improving nothing.

Yeah, um, Im not doing selective breeding? I have a male and a female that I want to breed, I was trying to get a picture in my mind of what they will look like.

How old is the female..? She looks like a yearling if that. They should be at least 3 years old and have significant condition on them, usually 6+ foot and over 2 kilo.

Also, no one can say for sure what any hatchlings will look like just from the parents, even within single clutches there can sometimes be huge variations.

Hi, yes it is only a year old. I thought they could breed at 2 years, if they are large enough. So leave it another year?

Hi, yes it is only a year old. I thought they could breed at 2 years, if they are large enough. So leave it another year?

Yes they can breed at two years, if they are big enough, which your female, at least, looks nowhere near.

There have been some people who have successfully bred by the age of 2 - 2.5 years, however getting a snake to that size to be able to breed in 2 years is ridiculous IMO.

Just wait until whenever she nears the size I wrote above, even if takes another 2 or 3 years.

OK, will do. I will see how she goes, but man is my boy gonna be big! He is about 3 years now and about 7 foot, will he grow much longer?

They might be able to, it depends on the size of the animal. That female looks like she'll be 2 years off at least.

As has been said, there can be enormous variation in coastals. You could get any clour/pattern from those two, it's impossible to tell.

I'd suggest you get some books and do some researching. There's alot of information out there for you, just have good look and you'll find it.

There have been some people who have successfully bred by the age of 2 - 2.5 years, however getting a snake to that size to be able to breed in 2 years is ridiculous IMO.

Just wait until whenever she nears the size I wrote above, even if takes another 2 or 3 years.

Snakes have bred at 1.5 years. Nothing ridiculous about it. If the snake is happy to eat the amount to be up to breeding size at 1.5 years I, personally, don't see a problem with it. The snake will know when it's ready.

Snakes have bred at 1.5 years. Nothing ridiculous about it. If the snake is happy to eat the amount to be up to breeding size at 1.5 years I, personally, don't see a problem with it. The snake will know when it's ready.

I don't think snakes have the common sense to be able to judge when they are eating too much that it may cause health problems. They are opportunistic feeders yes, but I highly doubt they are always going to stumble across so many prey in the wild.

Plus majority of cases I have heard about of snakes being overfed, they have not lived very long lives. I heard a story the other day about a 5 year old snake ( which is still very young ) that had been overfed while young and had suddenly passed away. They didn't know why until an autopsy was done and revealed the sheer amount of fat in the body and clogging the organs was the cause of death.

So how do I feed her alot but not too much. Maybe insted of a meal a week, a meal every 5 days? Plus slightly larger meals?

I don't think snakes have the common sense to be able to judge when they are eating too much that it may cause health problems. They are opportunistic feeders yes, but I highly doubt they are always going to stumble across so many prey in the wild.

I don't know about your snakes but all my animals have shown they know when to stop, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a place full of water pythons that are breeding at 1.5 years of age due to the massive population of rats in the area?

Plus majority of cases I have heard about of snakes being overfed, they have not lived very long lives. I heard a story the other day about a 5 year old snake ( which is still very young ) that had been overfed while young and had suddenly passed away. They didn't know why until an autopsy was done and revealed the sheer amount of fat in the body and clogging the organs was the cause of death.

I don't find a problem with feeding them all that they can eat in their first year, it's overfeeding them after that that I've heard causes problems. Hasn't there been a study done on this recently with no problems resulting after a year of feeding each snake 30% body weight?

I will be happy and rest my case when studies are done on 20+ year old snakes that have been scarffed and are still healthy, enough said.

I will be happy and rest my case when studies are done on 20+ year old snakes that have been scarffed and are still healthy, enough said.

thats a completely different thing though. persistent high fat meals over long periods of time will of course cause massive health risks/problems in snakes. but during the time in which the snake is growing, therefore putting the majority of the energy from its meals into growing. it is unlikely to affect its health. after it has finished the major part of its growth feeding should be reduced by a decent amount. either one large meal fortnightly or monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back