Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Ive got it, feed it up until its a good length and weight, then take it easy from there. We will see how it goes thanks guys!

Well mate, i can tell you now if you paired those two together they would produce some nice looking keelbacks.

re What

I think you will be going backwards.The idea of selective breeding is to improve/enhance a certain look.By producing offspring from those two you are improving nothing.

What would you know ramsayi,let them breed,at Mt Druitt everything just breeds and it dont do any harm, much.

What would you know ramsayi,let them breed,at Mt Druitt everything just breeds and it dont do any harm, much.

Hahaha old Zulu mate.Yes I forgot about the MtDruitt scenario.

fraser888,you asked how others would think any offspring would turn out and I offered my opinion.You then said you are not selective breeding but you are.You have selected two animals that you would like to breed.At the end of the day like Zulu wrote it will do no harm obviously but don't expect anything too special out of them.

either way, you have quite some time to wait for her to be up to speed. i'm personally not at fan of feeding your snake as much as it will eat, hence i buy the other half of my pairs at age i feel according. i dont see how anyone can want to rush maturity at any level. glad to see you must have won your ma over with the large snake issue, may i wish you the best of luck for the process regardless of what you are matching as a pair, i'm sure the outcome will be beautiful with the effort you put in. and the experience an even greater reward. make sure you keep us up to day with all your progress.
ren

Thanks everyone. Yes, mum has finally given in, and now I have two! I also have a larger enclosure coming so all is good. I can't wait and I will keep you all up-to-date, thanks again.

Patience...........Patience
If you push something it is bound to break.
If you want healthy snakes then go the old traditional and proven way.
If you want to speed things up then ok BUT remember this - "It worked for the other snake so why wont it work on this snake". Animals are individuals just like us, some will and some wont. So the question is are YOU willing to put a snake at risk for a few eggs sooner.
We have a 4yo male and a 3yo female Albino NT carpet. We did not try to breed this year so we can get another year of prime condition for hopefully a good result for next year.
Patience can be a blessing rather than a nusance (spelling?) especially when reptiled are concerned.
IMO

Hi, yes it is only a year old. I thought they could breed at 2 years, if they are large enough. So leave it another year?

OK, will do. I will see how she goes, but man is my boy gonna be big! He is about 3 years now and about 7 foot, will he grow much longer?

UMM, id like to know how old it actually is.

i have a male that lookes exactly the same as this one and he has bred with the semi-hypo that is my avitar. i will let you know how they go.

P.S. if someone could tell me how to post a bloody picture that would be great.

UMM, id like to know how old it actually is.
jaih if you look closely you will see one age is for the female and the other indicates the age of the male.

Hi, it is just comming up to a year old now, and I don't know how much it weighs. It is about 2 foot long.

You will be struggling to breed her at 18 months, I would consider that to be rather small for a 1 year old coastal carpet...

Mutton bird oil

Try and get mutton bird oil, grows them out that bit quicker. every second third feed. also makes them very shinny and conditioned. The tiger snakes of tasmania only gorge 6 weeks of every year on mutton bird and heaps bigger than the main land tigers.

Snakes have bred at 1.5 years. Nothing ridiculous about it. If the snake is happy to eat the amount to be up to breeding size at 1.5 years I, personally, don't see a problem with it. The snake will know when it's ready.

Personally I have a problem with people who over feed their snakes just so they can breed them early and get money!, Let them grow as theay naturally would dont stuff them for personal gain - just mine and a fair few other peoples personal view.
Im pretty sure TrueBlue did a post on this which maybe you should look up and have a read.

I don't know about your snakes but all my animals have shown they know when to stop, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a place full of water pythons that are breeding at 1.5 years of age due to the massive population of rats in the area?

I don't find a problem with feeding them all that they can eat in their first year, it's overfeeding them after that that I've heard causes problems. Hasn't there been a study done on this recently with no problems resulting after a year of feeding each snake 30% body weight?

my BHP would eat every 2 days if he could as it is I think he eats too much but is just a guts so NOT all snakes were born with common sense - cause my boy sure ain't got it.

As for the water pythons - there are anomalies through out the world of too much prey for the predators, but it the minority NOT the majority in most cases there is not enough food, I wonder if these water pythons are healthy or don't live full live?

There's plenty of them water pythons in fog dam readily breeding they're doing fine.

Have you tried feeding your bhps "every 2 days"? Cause I highly doubt he'd keep it up for very long. Aspideties are very strong feeders usually they'll eat alot until they reach a certain weight. If you haven't done it then you can't really expect your comment on it to be taken serious.

All so how's saying it's for money that people grow snakes? Obviously it would be for some but aren't people allowed to just want to get snakes to a nice size? I'd mch rather get out a 1m childrens python if I were going to play with it then a 20cm one.

Or maybe you've got something special and you've just found a nice male to go with her. It's not for money that you grow him, you grow him to see the babies he has with that particularly nice girl.

I belive a few year ago Sdaji fed up a water python, it was absoloutly huge. Bigger then one of my 2year old when it was a year. That snake is in perfect health and has breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back