Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not feed him every 2 days cause he would get over weight and that does cause problems in any animal whether you want to admit it or not. look what obesity does to humans?
He would easily eat and has easily eaten 2 large adult rats a weeks!
I would rather watch my snake grow at a nice normal rate and enjoy the growing process with him than have him at adult size 2 or 3 yrs before he is ready.
Whether its for money or cause you want to pair him with a nice female its still for your personal gain not his.
It may happen in the wild but rarely!
You dont see us power feeding babies do you? just so they can get to todler size quicker?
maybe we should start to do this as I would rather a todler than a baby!! hahahaha cruel me thinks

There's plenty of them water pythons in fog dam readily breeding they're doing fine.

Have you tried feeding your bhps "every 2 days"? Cause I highly doubt he'd keep it up for very long. Aspideties are very strong feeders usually they'll eat alot until they reach a certain weight. If you haven't done it then you can't really expect your comment on it to be taken serious.

All so how's saying it's for money that people grow snakes? Obviously it would be for some but aren't people allowed to just want to get snakes to a nice size? I'd mch rather get out a 1m childrens python if I were going to play with it then a 20cm one.

Or maybe you've got something special and you've just found a nice male to go with her. It's not for money that you grow him, you grow him to see the babies he has with that particularly nice girl.

I belive a few year ago Sdaji fed up a water python, it was absoloutly huge. Bigger then one of my 2year old when it was a year. That snake is in perfect health and has breed.

All so how's saying it's for money that people grow snakes? Obviously it would be for some but aren't people allowed to just want to get snakes to a nice size? I'd mch rather get out a 1m childrens python if I were going to play with it then a 20cm one.

Dont buy a hatchy buy a ready made play toy

No-two just for curiosity how big do you think my 6month old stimmie should be and what should ?I be feeding him?
Any one else feel free to answer - it would be interesting to see what peoples expectations are.

Sorry, but Im getting confused here...
so IF the snake is eg.18mths old but hes big (breedable size), does that means hes able to breed?
or
IF hes 3+yrs old (breedable age), but hes on the small size, does it means he cant breed cos he is not at his breedable size..??

Sorry, but Im getting confused here...
so IF the snake is eg.18mths old but hes big (breedable size), does that means hes able to breed?
or
IF hes 3+yrs old (breedable age), but hes on the small size, does it means he cant breed cos he is not at his breedable size..??

I think thats what there saying but who knows - im guessing if its size then it can breed

I will be happy and rest my case when studies are done on 20+ year old snakes that have been scarffed and are still healthy, enough said.

Have there been any studies, over 20 years, of animals which have not been "scarfed".to allow for comparison?

the thing i find funny is that most people argueing against "scarfing" will feed their snakes weekly and will continue this for the snakes life. this is still overfeeding.

the thing i find funny is that most people argueing against "scarfing" will feed their snakes weekly and will continue this for the snakes life. this is still overfeeding.

Agee. Before a feeding regime can be determined keepers need to determine why they are feeding. For survival ? For growth ? For breeding? For body weight maintenance? All these require different feed regimes! The sex of the snake is probablyone of the major considerations in breeding.

your female should be at least 3 years before she is bred with due to possibilities of her not making it through a rough prenancy, coastal eggs can be quite large and for a first time mum that isn't only enouph to breed she can die, her eggs could go hard inside her, or if you over feed or power feed her she could develope too much fat glands that make it difficult to lay the eggs and may need surgury. which will cost you an arm and a leg and you could still loose her and her eggs. so yeah I'd wait till she is at least 3 years and big enouph. do you think it would be wise to play god to try get her at breeding size asap when it could cause damage and you could loose them all in the process. I don't think its worth it, loosing such a stunning animal to a careless decission to fatten her up so she will grow large real quick, but in doing that she won't have matured and she'd still be unable to breed with, but if she does then you could have one or more serious cases to watch for.

if you over feed and power feed your snake it will get pin head sindrome and will have a very short life span, compared to what a healthey and responsably fed snake would. they could even find it hard to shed when need be and her mood will change quite drematicly.

your concerns should always be for your snakes health and well being before anything else, then think about breeding latter on after your snake had grown at a proper rate at it's own rate, you shouldn't be thinking of getting a young snake to adult size asap, your male will still breed with her when she is old enouph. if you really want a snake to be ready for breeding then why bother buying a baby just to stuff there life up so you can get good resolts with colour and pattern. seriously!!!

have you bred before or are you new at the hole thing? its not as easy as having a snake that is at breeding size and wala, sometimes it just doesn't happen they may mate but thats it, they may just cuddle and thats all you see and they don't produce. you could be waiting for up to 3 years for something to happen just because there not old enouph and there not at the right size. or you may even find that your supossid pair is infack 2 females.

there's no way you can say for absolute surton that just because she is at breeding age or size that They will give you some resolts!!!

just so you know I've been keeping for 5 years and been trying to get my cape yorks to breed for 3 years, works out its quite hard to breed snakes and I have 2 females instead of a pair, and I got about 5 probes done to one that everyone said it was male, all I could think dueing that time was, I fed him way too much earlier on and he is just way too big to breed now. I thought carefully on buying a new male this year and made sure he had bred before and he is 7.5 years old and 6-7foot. he's done his job and I should be exspecting eggs on the 9th dec.

all I am trying to say is breeding has it's downs before its ups, and just to get a snake for its patterns is perfectly fine, but it's when you start playing god with it and power feed such a young snake so you can breed then. just doesn't sound like you really know what your in for with breeding and what the hole process involves. and I don't understand why you just didn't go for an adult in the first place if you really wanted to breed next year..

My big coastals are over 9 foot and they are 4.5years old now I did feed them 1 rat a week up untill they got to 2 metre's in length then up'd the size of the rat to at least the size of its gutt and gradually now feed them 2 large rats each fortnight - a month.

thats my 2 cents

cheers

Last edited:
ok most of mhat I was saying up there was ment for everyone that thinks over feeding and power feeding is the way to go to get her ready next year. but the first part and odd other parts are ment you.

sorry if it shoved all together and your confused but I am soo tired and just about to go to sleep. so hope it made sence.

but what vixenbabe said the first few posts are worth believing she knows her stuff...

I still don't understand why everyone gets so worked up about people feeding regeim. Have any of you even tried it?

Helikon is totally right, you all complain about feeding something that is growing but you probably feed your old snakes once weekly aswell which is over feeding. A young python uses it's food for growth not to store as fat like an old snake does.

I was under the impression "pin head syndrome" was deemed a myth. Seems to be alot of those in herps.

I've had pin head sindrome in 2 of my snakes in the 5 years of keeping and it was from over feeding but I soon started feeding them properly with good advice from here and other sites. and they where younger snakes at the time of accuring. my cape york has had it happened 2 times one when yearling and once at 2.5 years. but she is a very fussy eater and I have to feed when I can other wise she could go off eating for another 3 months. she wasn't like this all the time not eating she devaloped it once she got older. my NT BHP got pin head sindrome when he was about 5 -7 months old was so far back I can't remember the exact age but he was much younger then a year though, I was feeding him too much and too often so I had to down his food to 1 pinky rat a week instead of thinking 1 wasn't anough. but when he got a bit bigger I uped the size of the rat and spread the wekk out to a fortnight.

so ya I'm sure everyone almost has done it as a learning curve and they've most probably had the same resolts or similar or maybe something else has happened that has changed there thought's on this subject and with good intention for the health of there snakes. most of us have been in the site for over 5 years or more we've seen and fought for our believes and been there done that and learnt from our mistakes and most of us are just passing our exsperiance to you newer people thats all. not to start an arguement just to tell you what you shouldn't do and why.

in the end it is your desission and you'll probably do it anyways and when something happen's the first thing you will do is come online and ask people in here why and what did you do wrong.

it happen's all the time.

I'm just over the bickering and people asking for advice and either not taking it from people that are very exsperianced and know what there talking about and instead doing the complete oppersit and doing something that some person that is all new to the hole aspect of keeping herps.

If you want the advice I'd not over feed and let her grow at her own pase this might meen you are waiting 2 -3 more years for her to be ready but at least there is far less chance of something bad happening and this way you can enjoy her time and company and get to enjoy the time while she's a baby and have a clearer idea what you'd be breeding towards when it come's along.

good luck with them and what ever your desission may be, and please remember to post pic's of her when she get's older and bigger, she is just addorable.

cheers

OK, will do. I will see how she goes, but man is my boy gonna be big! He is about 3 years now and about 7 foot, will he grow much longer?

hey he doesn't have to be just feed him once every fortnight - month he's and adult now and its best to keep your males small if you can, my cape york male is 7 years and he is only 7 foot and he did his job. I feed him 1-2 medium's every month. my female that is gravid now is 4.5years and 9.5 foot,

she grows roughly half a metre every year.

Patience...........Patience
If you push something it is bound to break.
If you want healthy snakes then go the old traditional and proven way.
If you want to speed things up then ok BUT remember this - "It worked for the other snake so why wont it work on this snake". Animals are individuals just like us, some will and some wont. So the question is are YOU willing to put a snake at risk for a few eggs sooner.
We have a 4yo male and a 3yo female Albino NT carpet. We did not try to breed this year so we can get another year of prime condition for hopefully a good result for next year.
Patience can be a blessing rather than a nusance (spelling?) especially when reptiled are concerned.
IMO

VERY well put

been reading through this thread and it has me concerned that i may be feeding my snakes to much...the 2 coastals are abotu 2 years old and both 6 foot and will eat 1 sub-adult rat a week but still seem to be growing really fast. and my spotted python is 6months and eats a pinky rat a fortnight(was feeding it a pinky mouse a week but i breed rats so switched to them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back