Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton.werner

Reaction score
Mum is having trouble coming to terms with the idea of me getting a snake. Any ideas of one which stays relatively small, yet is still pretty and affordable?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

If you live with your parents, and they're uncomfortable with you getting a snake, don't get a snake.

It's not worth upsetting your parents over. Wait till you move out, or negotiate some terms.

My dad is terrified of snakes, but after some reasonable discussion he has agreed for me to have 1 Carpet Python, and that's only because I'll be leaving at the end of the year, possibly sooner.

I don't wanna wait though lol.
Mums just being up amd down with letting me get one. Yet she let's me have 2 beardys at the moment grr

in terms of pythons...
jungles tend to stay pretty small. they are the smallest of the carpets. only grow to 6-7ft. Same with water pythons. Darwin carpets dont grow too large either as a general rule and albino darwins (although somewhat expensive) are gorgeous!
otherwise you're looking at your anteresias (spotteds, stimsons, childrens, pygmys) which are considerably smaller than the morelia family.

otherwise a colubrid could always be in the future... keelbacks, common tree snakes (blue, black , yellow, green) or any of the boiga irregularis phases (brown tree snake, kimberly night tiger, katherine night tiger). although may not be great snakes for beginners, they are definitely worth considering as an option for the future.

hahah or you could just tell your mum that olive pythons or scrub pythons stay really small and watch her slowly realize that she's bought you a giant

whatever you do, dont listen to people tell you that a certain species of snake is particularly agressive. it all comes down to the snake and the owner, not the species.

hope this helps you with a decision.

Sye

How old are you mate?

You'll learn as you get older that things like this aren't worth an argument.

I've wanted a pet snake for a year or so now, and I'm only just getting one. Be patient, you've got two beardys to enjoy. If your mum is not happy with you getting one, as I said, it's not worth it

when i lived with my parents they were terrified at the thought of snakes in the house.
its a long story but to put it simply, i put a deposit on a pair of rare olives (regulars will know what i mean). my plans of getting a house before the snakes arrived failed so
there was no choice but to keep them at my parents house.
they were there for a few months, now my olds miss them.
they drive out once a week to see them, whether im home or not.

take your parents to a pet shop/breeder, let them see the snakes being handled.

p.s
i hope this makes sense, ive drank way too much

I waited till I moved out of home, My parenst were horrified at the thought of snakes in the house. and now I have 5 snakes :) But they say now If i wanted to come back home, they would take me and the snakes.
However if your mum does give you the all clear, go for something like a stimson or spotted python, wouldc be my reccomendation. You can get them in pet shops and so can take the parents to go see them. Plus they stay pretty small and are very friendly....sometimes :)
Plus remember keeping snakes is pricey, food and housing isnt cheap for them. Are you working? and if not, will your parents provide for all the ongoing costs of the snake?

How old are you mate?

I've wanted a pet snake for a year or so now, and I'm only just getting one. Be patient, you've got two beardys to enjoy. If your mum is not happy with you getting one, as I said, it's not worth it

Mate its his choice....at the end of the day its something personal between him and his parents, he was asking for opinions on snakes, not for further permission...

My son got his first python when he was 11. He is 15 now, and we have around 25 here now - I have kinda lost count :lol:

He got a Childrens pythons for his first, but with hindsight, he could easily have gotten one or both Jungles as his first pythons.

In the beginning I couldn't sit on one end of the couch, if he had his Childrens on the other side.
Now he throws the big Jungles on my lap while he is cleaning....and I like it :D
I would almost consider getting one of my own when he leaves....

The Antaresia group is small, inexpensive, but not necessarily pretty? Stimsons and Spotteds have nicer markings than Childrens. Otherwise, as Sye said, some of the Morelia don't get huge.
This link has some good info, and is worth reading to get an idea of what is available - and that will depend on what state you are in, and the licence you hold.
http://www.sxr.com.au/Article%20PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf
Do your research first. Investigate what they need in housing, heat, ongoing food etc. Maybe the occasional vet bill.
We only needed a vet once, but it totalled more than the snake originally cost. But thats what you sign on for when you get an animal.
Don't buy at a pet shop, there are plenty of people on here who will have what you want when you decide.
Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
How old are you mate?

There are other people that have waited longer. I have been waiting 6 years for a snake and might be getting one at the end of the year. In the 6 years i have argued my way up to getting a gecko only 1 week ago and i reckon its worth the argument.

Ben

Last edited:
Mum is having trouble coming to terms with the idea of me getting a snake.
Gday Anton, are you located around Sydney? If so, there will be a reptile expo this year as part of the Royal Easter Show. You could take your parents in there to look at some different animals, & talk to some experienced keepers in person. Your parents could ask the questions that concern them about keeping a snake in the house, & perhaps that could work in your favour. Good luck.

How old are you mate?

Wise words of wisdom handed down... from a 17yo :D I'm not saying I think you're wrong mate, it's just ironic.

I think other people's exp here shows that if you are respectful, parents who were originally against snakes can come around.

Stimsons, Spotted and Childrens are on the small size, max length around 1.2 metres, very docile and great to handle.
Jungles would be my next choice on going up a size.
Good luck with your choice. Good luck with your mum...she'll come round ;)

i think stimsons and spotteds are pretty, they stay small too. a murray darling might be an option too, very nice snakes in my opinion. my girl is a year old and will not bite at all, she has been handled by my 4yr old daughter and patted and touched by my 2 yr old son. good luck with it, i say research, do as much of it as you can and at the end of the day your mum will be easier going once you have shown her the amount of work you have put in to getting this first snake!

I'm not entirely sure what snakes you have to choose from but here goes, anyway.

My first snake/s were corn snakes. Though the little beggars escaped (they came back after a couple of months though) after having them a couple of days because of having the wrong type of enclosure (durrrrrr). They don't grow too big and they are possibly the softest snakes. The other snake I have which I got after my corns is a mexican black. He's a bit nippy sometimes but other than that, he has a great temperment and won't grow much bigger than corn snakes.

It's a lot to take into consideration for a first time snake. Everything people have said is a valid point; money, space, time, etc. You don't want a snake that needs handling to tame it when you don't have the time to spare.

dude get a childrens, spotted or stimmie.
p.s Don't worry about your mum. LOL

Gday Anton, are you located around Sydney? If so, there will be a reptile expo this year as part of the Royal Easter Show. You could take your parents in there to look at some different animals, & talk to some experienced keepers in person. Your parents could ask the questions that concern them about keeping a snake in the house, & perhaps that could work in your favour. Good luck.

nah man actually theyve sold out and are only doing a best in show competition. check the website.

but there is still going to be a Newcastle one and one in Penrith

nah man actually theyve sold out and are only doing a best in show competition. check the website.
but there is still going to be a Newcastle one and one in Penrith
I never mentioned buying a python at the expo in that post. I suggested they look at different species & his parents can talk to breeders about their concerns.
I know there are no sales there & it is not a cop out that this is what the expo is doing this year, but I've already commented on this in other threads concerning the expo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back