Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah..blueys are a great first pet - Bearded Dragons are good...but blueys are an easier first pet....but if i was you i'd get a snake! :) lol

Blue tongue are easy to look after but beardies have more personality, If you want to get a Beardie get a older one.

I personally think Bearded dragons are more interesting but if you get a nice bluey you'd be happy. Youll most likely want one or the other after a while any way

Good luck,
Crush

yeah..blueys are a great first pet - Bearded Dragons are good...but blueys are an easier first pet....but if i was you i'd get a snake! :) lol

/agreed just got my 2 babies and im hooked, havent even had a chance to handle them! (except transporting from bag to enclousure)
i love my stimo for her fiestiness and size, but atm its kinda tough to beat my bhp, hes got so much character!, ill looking in the enclousure and he will come out of his hide and look at me with his adorable little face ! he parades around like he owns the place, and when ever i look he doesnt even get defensive just seems to kind of smile back :) lol

While blueys are tougher beardies are cetainly not hard and are alot mokre interesting than blueys. You could also go for something like a cunninghams or similar but some sort of dragon would be my number 1 choice

i reckon u should still get a beardie.. i find em much more interesting than blueys to start off with. beardies like being handled, have a great personality and look better (imo)

i reckon u should still get a beardie.. i find em much more interesting than blueys to start off with. beardies like being handled, have a great personality and look better (imo)

Thats fine Riley and i guess its not so bad to stuff up on a cheap animal.

I speak from experience, i nearly killed a pair i had when i first got into it. Beardies are great but for a beginner with the number of issues people have with them, you should think of the animal first. I wouldnt buy anything that i dont think i have the necessary skill or knowledge to look after properly.

Last edited:
they are pretty easy to keep though (from what i've read, and my short short experience:D(like 2 weeks lol:D:D))

Exactly my point Riley, so many times there are posts on this website form people recommending beardies when they have kept them for short periods. Then when things go wrong there will be posts about sick beardies.

No body wants to lose an animal or think they have hurt their new pets.

Whatever the animals chosen, the person should by those books by Australian Reptile Keeper Publications, they are great for beginners and will offer advice in relation to beardies that wasnt available to me at the time i stuffed up.

they are some fat beardies in the pics.

I say go with Barbatas......the under-rated beardy

Yeah they are nice lizards but not as suited to interaction as centrals are(as a general rule). They are definately worth considering though. They were my first official lizards(i was 8 or so) and i never had any problems and they are better suited to humid areas. They also look heaps better than central beardies IMO.

Bluies are cool if you like them, i personally dont think they are well suited to handling though. I guess they may be harder to kill, but i dont really think thats an issue if you want to look after your critters.

point made salebrosus
though what i read about beardies that they were easy to keep was from books and people.
and then again, i dont think i've heard of a beardie dying after being sick many times

yes and what hornet says below:D

Thats fine Riley and i guess its not so bad to stuff up on a cheap animal.

I speak from experience, i nearly killed a pair i had when i first got into it. Beardies are great but for a beginner with the number of issues people have with them, you should think of the animal first. I wouldnt buy anything that i dont think i have the necessary skill or knowledge to look after properly.

Simone.

If you do your research you should have no probs with beardies, i know many people who started with beardies and had no probs.

If you do your research you should have no probs with beardies, i know many people who started with beardies and had no probs.

When i got my first beardies back in 2000 there wer eno books and i was told "oh they're easy"

I nearly killed them with feeding them mealworms (as advised by my vet) and this was not shared in any books i had on them. ARK books did mention it but it wasnt available at that time.

I jsut dont believe beardies are hardy enough for a first timer.

yes, there may have been a lack of info around 8yrs ago but there is plenty of info available to keepers these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back