What's Humane??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you refering to dry ice as being liquid nitrogen. I was pretty sure that it was necesary to have a permit before you can use it

Lol Nothing wrong with Msg Greebo every tomatoe you eat is full of it.
Sxereturn must admit haven't tried that one yet, sounds a bit ''messy''. :D

does anyone cut out the guts of the rodents before they freeze them?

bkgone, what would be the point of doing this? that would be just like eating taco shells!! :shock:

i was reading about feeding rodents on this aussie site, and this is what it said "Freezing,thawing and subsequent feeding of whole prey animals is a common practise among hobbyists and herpetologists,Some experts believe that such food sources should be "gutted" (eviscerated) before they are frozen.This greatly reduces the possibility of generalized bacterial contamination of the carcass.To replace those nutrients within the viscera that would otherwise be lost,the hobbyist can place a gelatine capsule filled with a vitamin/mineral/amino acid supplement into the body cavity before feeding the thawed prey animal to the snake".

I can see the logic in that. It would probably be feasible if you had only one or two animals, otherwise it would just be too much work.
I think freezing kills most (not all) of the harmful bacteria and are safe enough for my snakes.

Sxereturn, please do not ridicule ppl who ask questions that may seem stupid to you. Not everyone is experienced as you buddy. It's this very reason that some members are afraid to ask questions on here as they don't want to be made fun of.
It turns out that BKgone's question was a valid one and I was interested to learn that some ppl actually do gut their rats.

still, it made everyone think though. if most poeple were face to face instead of internet hereos i bet they would have asked ' why would you do that '. easy to give curry to a computer screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back