Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the APS freebie section be used for "wanted for free" adverts or not?

• NO

Votes: 87 90.6%
  • YES

Votes: 9 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would not bother, you can't talk to ignorant people. who know nothing about doing it hard. or offering reptiles a home so they don't get chucked out on the side of the road or bush

You can get a Children's or spotted python for $100-150, if you cannot afford that you cannot afford a heat mat/enclosure/thermostat and you can definately not aford a vet bill.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if a kid is disadvantaged... he has more important things to spend his money on than feeding two snakes...

Last edited:
If you can't afford to buy 1 snake you can't afford to feed & care for 2 snakes properly.

...freebies are offered, not ASKED for.

+1

English is perhaps my 4th language and sometimes it just gets a bit lost in translation...

So to make sure I understand how much "FREE" is in "freebie", I used Google Translate (in absence of something better ATM)...

FREEBIE
- noun Informal.
something given without charge or cost, ie a free sample at a store. (usually provided as part of a promotional scheme)

So I make Cockney's my words too!

It may be offered, but it doesn't mean one should expect it.

Just my two cents. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm, i do ask for free reptiles why beacause i can, because i can offer them a good home and save the money insted of buying them and spend it on them. because if you don't ask you don't get.
i have been given a free turtle, 2 pythons and a bearded dragon would i sell them? HELL NO. i love them to bits and this is their forever home. 6 months has past on the turtle and beardie and i never sold them.

NO EVERYONE IS AN *******.

the beary i got for free its owner had no time for him and could not be bothered selling so asked my to take it asap for free.
turtle same story no time for her and her mother was scared of it, lol.

so before you judge me, look at yourselfs.

i advertise that i will take in any unwanted reptiles, have never asked for enclosure or food ect
i have people contact me who see my add and have no time for their pets or get bored of them.
thank god for people like me who take them in and give them a forever home. not sell them 6 months later.

so get off your high horses and stop sterotyping people wen you know nothing about us.

good on you saintanger but I think the post was more about parasites who bludge and then resell,nobody hates nice people

Out of all my friends who breed reptiles and myself included every one of us have given away plenty of reptiles over the years. I'd bet none of us has ever responded to the people asking or given them to people who asked.

Also I don't belive the story you can afford any snake you want whenever you want saintanger. It amazes me how much people exaggerate their finanical abilities. I could buy it but I'd rather get it for free, really... Really?

I also want to add my two cents worth. Thank you to the OP for starting this, as it was going through my mind just the other day on how many ads there are about wanting free reptiles, especially on Gumtree!!
Also thank you to Colin to doing something about it.
I have given one python away, it was given to a young boy who lost his, they offered me money several times, but this male stimmy could only every be a pet (which is all the boy wanted), as he was infertile, could I have sold him and made money? Hell yes, would I? No I have scruples. I received pics with the boy and the python both just enjoying life, they didn't ask for a free reptile, but the situation called for something to be done. I received a hand written card of thanks from the boy and that I treasure more than any amount of money. This python went into a family who will love this python forever, but equally important (to me anyway) can afford the proper care, food and enclosure so are not stuck with a python that would place financial strain on the family and this I believe should always being taken into account as some people can't/won't say no to free/cheap animals.

dragonlover1 thanks but i'v had people on here call me a parasite ect they don't care what your intentions are they just don't want anyone asking for free reptiles no matter what.
yes i can afford what ever snake i want. i payed full price for an albino ealier this year off a great breeder, i also own a red tailed black cockatoo cost me more than the albino. as soon as i get my r2 i will be paying for 2 green tree pythons. i had both my pure bred pedegree blue amstaffs imported that cost more than most peoples cars lol. but even though i can afford a snake i am happier to take in unwanted animals.

p.s. i speak read and write 3 different languages so it is a bit confusing at times

Last edited:
What three languages do you speak, read and write?
I would of thought someone so educated would get punctuation and spelling correct.......and wow you paid over $10,000 for an Amstaff, as that's the average cost of a vehicle here in Qld, hmmm I think not.

I agree Pythonlegs, the poll speaks volumes...................

Last edited:
my pet hates are liers and whingers

You indeed have an array of expensive pets at your residence.
Reading from your previous posts in this thread and others, you should set-up some kind of security system to protect not
only your pets but family as well.
You had three male intruders invade your house, attack your husband and stab your neighbor who came to his/your aid while
holding your young baby !!
I'd find it difficult to sleep at nights.

correction that was for 2 amstaffs, english, portuguese, spanish. and a bit arabic.

since then i have had video cameras installed, and an alarm plus back then i only had one dog, now i got 5, 2 of which i have put through guard dog training.

i sleep just fine like a baby infact.

So you have homes for the Border collie crosses you are going to breed? Just what the world needs more high engery, intelligent breeds to go to people with no money as I am sure you will be giving these away...
Wow its weird the two people who I know that speak/write different languages have excellent english skills, being this is their first language. Of course english may not be your first language...??

So how does quarantine happen with sooo many free reptiles being offered to you??

Wow, I knew that people in the reptile industry were awesome, but giving away snakes, lizards etc for valued customers etc etc is just... wow, you guys are amazing.
I am so glad I am now in this industry <3

Sorry back to the Freebies thing.

I think asking for free reptiles is a bit out there, however I understand some people have good morals in wanting to help animals out. I do however have a problem if people sell it for profit later down the track, that is not right.

I have taken in a few unwanted birds before, I knew the people and they were moving out of the country, they knew I loved animals so I took them in, they lived here for the rest of their life and were treated like they had always been here.

For me, an animal is for life, if you decide to take on the responsibility of said animal then yu should be responsible and take care of it for the rest of its life. I do however understand that unfortunate things happen that you cannot change or whatever, my point is that if you decide to take on someone's animal, why think "There might be a profit in it for me, it's a BHP that is sought after" or whatever, I personally just dont get how you think that way?

Last edited:
english is not my first language, if you actually read my posts you'd know border collie cross amstaffs make great hunting dogs e.g. pig hunting. i have farmer friends take most for free any left will be given away to good homes. first time breeding her and i did not want to but she got pregnant. and straight away i have had people ask to take them as working dogs and hunting dogs.

easy i have 2 rooms set up, my spare room has a 6 bay snake tank and a spare 4 foot tank for dragons/ lizards also have spare 4ft and 6ft tank for turtles. all other animals are in my other 6 bay tank in lounge room and have a few single tanks too.

english is not my first language, if you actually read my posts you'd know border collie cross amstaffs make great hunting dogs e.g. pig hunting. i have farmer friends take most for free any left will be given away to good homes. first time breeding her and i did not want to but she got pregnant. and straight away i have had people ask to take them as working dogs and hunting dogs.

easy i have 2 rooms set up, my spare room has a 6 bay snake tank and a spare 4 foot tank for dragons/ lizards also have spare 4ft and 6ft tank for turtles. all other animals are in my other 6 bay tank in lounge room and have a few single tanks too.

I'm confused, I thought you saved animals but you breed them? In other words, making more unwanted pets in this world? Especially Am Staff crosses, these dogs are next on the target list after pitbulls unfortunatly (I love both breeds of dog as they are such loyal, affectionate pets) Anyway totally confused at your angle to animals?
And you support the RSPCA and WIRES, etc...

Last edited:
Haha. Full price for an albino. I'm assuming that's a Darwin and I'm pretty sure you could buy a pair just from the money Centrelink pays each week or fortnight. How often do they pay? I call bullshit on your dogs and everything else you've said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back