What's the largest relative food size you've ever given your snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davoid001

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just fed my 3 year old diamond, and it was a pretty epic feat of swallowing to watch her eat such a relatively large rat (upper end of medium rat, my snake's about 1.1 meters long). I just thought i'd ask everyone, what is the largest feed (relative to the snake's size) you've seen a python swallow or have fed to your pythons?:D
Images of the feed can be found here: David Godwin's Photos - Om nom nom nom... | Facebook
Enjoy!:D

I've fed a 2 week old quail to a 4-5 month old woma. took too long to get it in her so i didn't try again next time. waiting for her to get significantly bigger then give it another try.

I feed full grown rabbits to 8 ft pythons. looks like they eat footballs.

Yeah i start my python hatchlings out on furry baby rats there several times the size of the hatchlings head and i feed my larger diamonds and pythons on large rats and full grown rabbits.
I think its funny the small size of some feed items people feed to there snakes, youd be surprised what they can actually eat.

ive fed a large rabbit to my 8 foot olive....took him a bit to get down but he did get it down....didnt have to feed him again for a month lol.....

Ollie the pig

l had a left over lge rat and a yearling olive , hmmm .

Attachments

• Ollie 002.jpg
    Ollie 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Ollie 001.jpg
    Ollie 001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 126
I feed my bredli of the same size as your diamond 200g rats which is nearly a jumbo rat.

200g jumbo? i thought jumbo was at least twice that weight and more, 200g would be medium rat. and Jungletrans how heavy was your rat to your yearling olive? im feeding my 6month olive 100g rats shes getting bigger

200g jumbo? i thought jumbo was at least twice that weight and more, 200g would be medium rat. and Jungletrans how heavy was your rat to your yearling olive? im feeding my 6month olive 100g rats shes getting bigger
l dont weigh the rats but it was an xxl adult rat and 6 times [ at least ] the diameter of his head , he was around 4 - 5 ft at the time . lt was like a pulling a sock over a football .

Hi - I like to have an idea of how much my pythons weigh. For my growing snakes, I feed 10-20% of their weight, for my adults 5-10%, depending upon whether I am maintaining their weight, fattening to breed etc.
I also like to vary the weight to imitate the wild - ie, in the wild they do not eat exactly the same size feed at the same time. So I also chuck my larger snakes the occasional 'snack rat' just to stimulate their digestive system.
Most important is feeding to their shed cycle.
cheers

i only know the weight of the rat because the uni i get them from are in frozen lots of 5's with the weight written on it

Read my post properly and you will see I said 'nearly a jumbo rat', my jumbos I produce are 250g + any bigger then 350g and I prefer rabbits as rats at that weight start getting fatty ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back