Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept a pair of MD's together for 5 years before one attacked the other. Co-habitating snakes is like playing russian roulette. Some people just get to play longer than others.

its only Carpet Pythons i keep.....

i keep,same sized females,same sized pairs,and hatchlings,together with no issues mate

i seperate them all at feeding times

cheers shaun

we keep 1 pair of stimsons togeher in a 5 ft enclosure and feed separately !!!!! . The girl once bit the boy - My fault as i couldnt be bothered seperating them as it was a cold evening and i must have slipped the rat across Sids back on the way to his head alice got a wiff of this and just sank her teeth in (lesson learnt !!!!) Most zoos and reptile parks co-habit their snakes ,it would be interesting to have some info from someone about their experiences in such places

Hello,

I have four paired that I keep together.
2 sets of jungles
1 bredlis
1 spotted

I took great care introducing each of the pythons.
Everytime I paired I introduced the male to a slightly larger female.
I handle regularly and diet is strictly monitored.

They all are together in large enough environments and I have never had a problem.
=)

Pictures? That sounds pretty cool :D

can a pair of Coastal Carpets be housed together? I have read that Jungles can...but what about Coastals? and would they breed...or would they need to be separated before hand and re-introduced to stimulate?

i seperate them all at feeding times

Do you also bathe them (to remove the scent of prey) before returning to the enclosure, or is that not a priority ?

I think you'll find she meant she keeps individual species together, not all listed species together. Well, I hope

-tell what you keep together
Coastals

-what size enclosure their in

2m x 1m x 2m outdoor (aviary style) enclosure with multiple hides.

-pro/cons

Was painful feeding them - getting one out, the other to stay put, then getting the other one back... Worse if one was playing with the food and the other (outside the enclosure) had already finished!
and any other useful information.

PICS to if you have some (enclosure/snakes together)

I have pics of the enclosure somewhere on here - both snakes used to hide in the same hide!

Only thing I can think of is room.... Lots and lots of it.

Although the snakes hide in the same hide, they need ample moving and stretching room away from each other... Imagine being kept in a box only 3/4 of your size with your partner all day/night long!

Most zoos and reptile parks co-habit their snakes ,it would be interesting to have some info from someone about their experiences in such places

I worked at a small wildlife park for a few years, we had a few carpet sp. housed together at one time or another. Same as other species (mammals, birds, reptiles) you're ignorant to think injury or fatalities don't happen in such facilities, it may not be a common occurrence but we had aviary birds fighting, bettongs beating each other, cape barren geese having a go at other species, lizards fighting, flying foxes squabbling etc. It happens at all zoological facilities, some are just better able to manage such situations better than others (staffing, resources etc). Also the thing that frustrated me was us keepers were limited to what we could do, sure we resolved the issue once it arised but altering the management of an exhibit to prevent issues happening were restricted from the parks managers and they were further restricted by the owners. Zoos and wildlife parks have a whole new set of parameters to satisfy that the private hobbyist don't even recognize, so their management contains differences.

Zoos and wildlife parks aren't bad places, they do achieve a lot of good. But they aren't free from problems.

I figure that, like anything, it has it's risks. Completely different, but for example you could keep two dogs in a yard for years with no dramas, something shifts and all of a sudden you're up for thousands in vet bills.
Certain snakes you shouldn't do it at all (predominantly ones who feed on other reptiles), but I figure that with some, it's okay. I'm currently housing a coastal with an MD (both unsexed), no issues at all, they seem to follow each other around and are often hanging out together. They are in a 4wx3hx1.5d enclosure, and they have places they can go to get away from each other, eg hides that only one can fit in. We had our stimsons in together for a little while (m/f) due to an enclosure malfunction and to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the girl had tried to kill the boy, all he wanted to do was have sexytimes with her. ALL THE TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back