Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new boss at work who lets his 11ft olive out to roam the house - he only keeps snakes and only lets him out when theres 2 people around, he says the only problem hes ever had was when it knocked a glass off a table and smashed it ... but he doesnt keep glass around the house now lol - ps the big guy was unhurt. im heading over to his place next weekend so ill take the camera and see what he gets up to free roaming.

I let my Diamond Python have the run of the unit. Its basically up to her to decide on where she wants to go, for some reason curling up on the “COLD” Toaster is her favourite. But I always keep her enclosure door open so she can return when ever she wants.

I never thought that it would be hard to find 10ft of snake, but I can sometimes lose sight of her of a few days.

Attachments

• IMGP4352.JPG
    IMGP4352.JPG
    541.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF0287.JPG
    DSCF0287.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP4362.JPG
    IMGP4362.JPG
    651.6 KB · Views: 71
Just a quick question, if you let your python outside on the grass, a tree or rock could it get mites?

letting them roam unsupervised is always gonna end up badly but with a bit of thought as to where and whats around and carful supervision it should be fine

letting them roam unsupervised is always gonna end up badly but with a bit of thought as to where and whats around and carful supervision it should be fine

BINGO.......thats it in a nutshell. Safety and wellbeing the the main aim follow thid advice and you cant go wrong.

i do, but i never let him out of my sight. its alot of work letting him have fun. ;)

I don't let my snakes out of their enclosures, I do let my kids out of theirs, but only under stricked supervision, and only for a few minutes.

Olive Python on the move.

l always let my 2 beautiful adult Olive Python's, have the run of the house, they a never lock-up in there enclosure 24 hours a day, they know where to go to get warm when they need to.
l see them both climb in and out of their enclosure all the time, and they some times come into my lounge room to move around and get their exercise, by climbing over my furniture or when l'm sitting back on my recliner, they will come over to me and checked me out, then climb up onto my lap.

During the day my Northern Blue-Tongue's and Desert Sand Monitor, have the freedom to run around my place inside, so they all can get the exercise they all need aswell.

Last edited:
Who lets their snakes roam the house?

mine just go out of control and start having rave parties with drugs, alcohol and hookers everywhere you looked..
and they never cleaned up after themselves (not once)

so now I just give my young males the keys to the car if they need a back seat to entertain there lady friends :p

You can let your snake roam the living room, your room or whatever, under YOUR watch. I always let my little guys cruise along the couch or on the living room floor, but as soon as I don't like the way there heading, I pick them up.

well i let my diamond out today. we have had her for just over a week now and has settled in nicely. she went on the dining table and chairs, the floor, over the kids toys and then headed under the sofa. thats when i picked her up. i didn't want to lose her up under there :). she is quite strong once she wraps herself around something. thanks for everyone's advice. i will never let her out of sight. the clothes airer is a fantastic idea. i will try that one tomorrow.

I let most of my bigger ones outside, under constant watch, usually only have one out at a time but had both the blackheaded out together the other day-that was an interesting experience.

i also let the little ones out on my bed when i am on the computer

Last edited:
Sometimes my snakes just prefer to chill out when I am holding them, and sometimes they just want to explore my desk or anything nearby.. When they look like they are trying to explore, I grab a large tub and fill it with things, it keeps them entertained for hours! I just chuck in some clothes and other bits and pieces in the tub and they can do what they want, but I know they aren't gonna get far :lol:

If I take them outside I use the clothes airer and throw some logs on the grass to keep them entertained. I noticed that while on the open grass they feel inclined to head for the trees/cover, but if I provide it for them, they have no reason to leave the grass, and I don't have to spend hours retrieving them out of trees. They are always under supervision.

i took mine to a mates soccer practice one day and she just stayed coiled up in my sunglasses case we were gone for about an hour or so.
Cameron

lol. some funny stories. today when i got mine out she explored for a bit and then curled up on the computer keyboard :)

Once my new diamond settles in I hope to let her out to roam. However I worry about her going under the lounge or fridge and me not being able to get her out.

are you kidding don't you have kids :shock: if a python or anything else went into my son's vortex of a room it would never been seen again :lol: and my daughter is worse :rolleyes:

Mine always come out for a roam. They love going out in the sun and just wandering the house..
Wolleyoutside.jpg

DSCF3533.jpg

031.jpg

This fella stayed here for 3 hours. It was like tiptoeing around a sleeping baby.
DSCF3623.jpg

P1050473.jpg

DSCF3666.jpg

P1060662.jpg

P1060677.jpg

P1030943.jpg

DSCF4012.jpg

Ok I better stop. As you can see my snakes aren't allowed out to play....:p

Last edited:
That's why you don't do it

You can do it, just don't take your eyes off them.

i used to have a cape york that i would let roam in the front yard on occasions...he was fairly slow due to his big size...but one day he suprised me and bolted up a large tree ...it wasn't much fun spending an hour and a half midway up a tree untangling him..just wouldn't let go...wanted the freedom too much...i would say it is fine but keep keen eye and a snake hook on hand just in case...they are suprisingly quick at times...
Hahaha :lol: I bet that looked funny...you up a tree chasing a snake...:lol:

I always stand next to mine... I am scary enough to keep the Birds away... LOL....
I have noticed before though a couple of Big crows got some interest one day, ended up taking him inside then...
When my snakes are out I follow them every step of the way to protect them and so I don't lose them. Watch those kookaburras they will fly right in whether you are there or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back